Fourth Grade PEAK
Power of One Projects - Due by April 9, 2015
THEME: Kids CAN
We wrapped up note taking.
Students were introduced to writing outlines.
Students started their persuasive nomination speeches to nominate his/her humanitarian for an award.
We finalized slogans for our humanitarians.
We brainstormed trademarks for our humanitarians.
- Topic Study: Students met with me individually to discuss Bloom's Level of Thinking. Students took a learning style inventory to determine personal learning style strengths. The topic study menu will no longer drive our learning. Students will determine what level of thinking the project represents and then write their own scoring guide (with guidance). Each student will select a verb to correspond with a level of thinking (apply, analyze, evaluate, create). The project or product will be based on your child's learning style (kinesthetic, visual, written/ oral, logical and mathematical, etc.)
- Science: We defined and discussed three important terms to the scientific method: Validity, Reliability, and Bias. We reviewed how these terms applied to our paper towel tests. We also discussed the difference between quantitative and qualitative science. We spent first semester working with quantitative science and today we kicked off our qualitative science unit. Ask your child about our chocolate chip cookie test!
- Critical Thinking: Determining Purpose
- Math - We tried a new math program called Alcumus. It is a problem solving program that adjusts to your child's learning speed in math problem solving. The kids completed 50 minutes of problem solving.
- Students are learning how to shoot video and edit it through Imovie. Students are examining a variety of video - shooting techniques!
- Today students participated in an online quiz to test our knowledge of scientific vocabulary. The kids like it so much that some want to use this format for a topic study project for their independent research topic.
- Students learned to cite sources through Easy Bib - what an awesome research tool!
- Students are actively using their Chrome books
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account - we should have fun with this!
- We introduced Edmodo another online learning tool!
Classroom Book Source:
- Students learned how to check out books electronically from my classroom library.
- There is a link on my student resource page for students to "Tweet" about the day. I will post 5 tweets a week on my classroom board - some may even make it to real twitter. Tweets should be relevant to our learning day.
- Please follow me on twitter - you never know when a tweet will post about your child's PEAK day!
Create a Graph:
- Applied our knowledge on how to make graphs online.
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study.