The best is yet to come.
May 22, 2021
Last chance to get your raffle tickets for the golf cart!
LVHS Tennis make state appearance!
Congratulations on a great season!
Lago Vista High School Valkyries
LVHS students who are attending school face-to-face will return their iPads during their 7th period class on Tuesday, May 25. Please make sure students bring their iPad, charging brick, and cord with them to school that day.
Remote students will drop-off their iPad, charging brick, and cord on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, May 26-28, from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM or 5:00-7:00 PM. Drop-off will be located at the front of the school near the MAC.
It's that time of the year when Ms. Becker collects final transcript forms. Every senior must fill one out! The forms are at the front counter or on the round table in the office. Please remind your senior to grab one, fill it out, and drop it off to Ms. Becker when completed.
Parents and families attending graduation this year:
Please let Mrs. Huerta know if any of your family members will need accessible seating (wheelchair, cane, etc.) for graduation. This guest will not be asked to sit alone, they will be able to bring 1 person to sit in the accessible area with them. This area does not require the use of stairs. When making the request, please include the name of the person needing the seat, the need of accommodation (cane/wheelchair/etc.), and the name of the guest that will be sitting with them. Please also let us know if this person would prefer to sit in an area where masks are required.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text her at 512-677-9687
Note: Graduation plans are subject to change as we continue to follow local and county Covid-19 guidance.
AP Exam DATES
AP Test Season is here! Below are a list of dates that AP Exams will be offered for students who signed up. If you have any questions, please contact Donna Mumme at email@example.com.
Monday, May 24 – 8am – Calculus AB and BC – (On paper at school only.)
Wednesday, May 26 – 11am – English Lang and Comp - (Digital at home only)
Thursday, May 27 – 11am – Biology – (Digital at home only)
Friday, May 28 – 3pm – Microeconomics - (Digital at home only)
Saturday, May 29 – 11am – US Government - (Digital at home only)
Courses for 2021-22 (crazy to say, it is quickly approaching!)
At this time we are putting together letters for your student's course selections to come home in the mail. Please open this letter or look in your student's Ascender Portal Student App under course requests. There is the list of classes as it stands right now contained there.
Please review these with your child and let us know if you see anything that needs to be changed (be specific about what they do not want to be enrolled in and what they want to replace it with) by May 26. Please understand that some classes may have been included if we fear your child will not gain the full credit in the class. If this is the situation please know, if they pass the class will be removed and replaced with one of the electives they completed in the form. If the form has not been completed your child's 4-year plan was consulted. If you have questions about these 4-year plans, please do not hesitate to reach out to Mrs. Huerta at the contact information below.
The course guide can be found at:
A list of classes offered to each grade can be viewed through these links.
Students who will be a senior next year:
Students who will be Junior next year:
Students who will be Sophomores next year:
Students who have signed up for an Advanced Course such as CR (College Ready), OR (OnRamps) or AP (Advanced Placement) should please also review our Advanced Courses Academic Agreement and submit the form electronically through this link: https://forms.gle/mkxYjqbvnCVm5uaT6
Be sure your student notes the login and password to their Ascender Portal. Any questions about the established account login and password, please contact Tyra_Becker@lagovista.txed.net
Mrs. Huerta & Mrs. Hylander, LVHS Counselors
firstname.lastname@example.org ~ (512) 677-9685 (Incoming Freshman, Current 9th and 10th Graders)email@example.com ~ (512) 677-9736 (Only Current Juniors)
Seniors: What's your plan?
With graduation quickly approaching, we need to start working on our graduation script! Parents, please have your senior complete this form so we have their plans for after high school.
Seniors can also find this link in the Class of 2021 course in Canvas.
Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA)
Any student interested in taking the TSIA2 must complete a pre-assessment activity and bring their email of completion with them on test day. Mrs. Hylander will send out information on how to sign up for the test in Canvas at the end of next week. It will be FREE!
We know that this time has been a very frustrating and taxing time for us all, especially on our youth. The counselors at LVHS have built this list as a resource to aide in seeking help for your children. Please reach out to either Mrs. Meghin_Huerta@lagovista.txed.net or Mrs. Elanna_Hylander@lagovista.txed.net if you have any questions or would like to further discuss these services. We are happy to help!
Take Care and Stay Safe!
EVERY Thursday at LVHS IS COLLEGE DAY! BE SURE TO SPORT YOUR FAVORITE COLLEGE'S GEAR Each Thursday!
DRESS code Review
It has been a while since students have been held to a dress code! In addition to the new mask requirement for students, they are still required to follow the dress code. Please take a minute to review this with your students!
Here is an EXCERPT from our Student Code of Conduct. Please reference the document for the entire list.
1. Clothing should be of the appropriate size.
a. Clothing must not be baggy or saggy, worn low on the body, nor drag on the ground.
b. Clothing must not be overly form fitting or tight.
2. Pictures, emblems or writings on student attire, jewelry, and/or tattoos must be appropriate for the school environment. No messages and/or graphics that are vulgar, offensive, obscene, libelous, or that denigrate others on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
a. No messages and/or graphics that include depictions of or references to profanity,
prohibited substances (e.g., alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc.), obscenity, sexual
connotations, gangs, inappropriate language, inappropriate pictures, inappropriate
gestures, death, and/or depictions of violent images.
3. See-through/sheer material is ONLY permitted when worn over an article of clothing that is dress code compliant.
4. Students will be expected to be in compliance with the dress code while standing or sitting.
5. Proper undergarments should be worn, but undergarments must not be visible. Garters and garter belts are considered undergarments.
6. No pajamas, sleepwear, or house slippers of any kind, except for designated days such as theme or character days approved by the campus administration.
7. Mustaches, beards, and sideburns must be well groomed. Grooming is at the discretion of the principal.
Bottoms (Dresses, Skirts, Shorts, and Pants)
8. All bottoms must fit around the waist and be properly fastened.
9. Dresses, skirts, shorts, and other non-uniform clothing must be of sufficient length to allow for performing normal school functions without immodest exposure. Any garment, regardless of what it is called, must cover all skin above the middle of the thigh.
10. Spandex shorts, tights, and leggings are allowed ONLY with an outer garment that meets the middle of the thigh requirement.
11. No rips or holes that are excessive or placed above the middle of the thigh.
Shirts and Blouses
12. Shirts must be buttoned properly.
13. Sleeveless shirts and modest tank tops that provide appropriate coverage are permitted.
a. No tank tops or dresses with “spaghetti straps” (thin shoulder straps over otherwise
b. Sleeveless tops must fit appropriately under the arm. No “muscle shirts”.
14. No strapless, spaghetti-strap, backless, halter, one-shoulder, or off-the-shoulder tops.
15. No clothing that reveals bare midriffs and/or bare backs. Midriffs must be fully covered at all times (even when arms are raised).
16. No low cut necklines (which reveal cleavage or the chest area).
17. No hats, caps, and/or hoods may be worn inside during the academic school day, except for designated days such as theme or character days approved by the campus administration.
18. No bandannas, rags, gloves, kerchiefs, or gang-related decorative articles.
19. No hanging wallet chains, chain belts, handcuffs, sharp/heavy rings, or other metal spiked or metal-studded studded accessories.
20. No visible body piercings, with the exception of earrings.
21. No sunglasses may be worn in school buildings without specific recommendation from a doctor.
22. No shoes that mark the floor or “wheelies”.
23. No trench coats.
Our schoolwide attendance goal for this year is 97%. Our state funding is based on the percentage of students at school at 10:45 am every day. Higher attendance rate = more money for resources for your student.
For students who miss school, here is some very important attendance information:
3 or more unexcused absences in a 4 week period - warning letter sent home and phone call from the principal.
10 or more unexcused absences in a 6 month period - truancy charges are filed. Parent, student and school administrator will be summoned to appear in truancy court.
Our campus goal is to reach 97% attendance each day.
Thanks for your support!
How to check your student's grades:
- Integration with the Assignments and Quiz functions within Canvas (auto grading, streamlined feedback, peer editing).
- Instant and improved communication with students on their assignment grades.
- Observer view (Parent view) allows for the parent to see grades and have access to the content as well as teacher comments.
- Uniformity of Canvas gradebook use across campus.
- Parents can still use TxConnect for a “big picture” look at a student’s grade and use Canvas for a detailed contextual look at student’s grades.
- In many cases, parents can access the actual assignment turned in by their student. This eliminates student responses of “I turned it in.” and “I’m not sure why I got a bad grade.”
Parents can create a Canvas Parent account by following the steps found here: https://sites.google.com/lagovista.txed.net/technology/canvas. An even easier option is to have your student log in to their Canvas account and show you their current assignments and grades.
StayAlert System Reminder
Lago Vista ISD uses StayALERT to help keep our schools safe. StayALERT is a bilingual, confidential website, e-mail, phone and texting avenue for students, teachers, staff, parents and community members to be able to confidentially report unsafe behaviors, suspicious activities, bullying, acts of violence, harassment, and a host of other potential disruptors to school safety.
Users may anonymously report concerns 24-7-365 via the StayALERT website, an e-mail, a phone call to a recorded and monitored line, or via a text message from a cell phone. Photos and video clips pertaining to the StayALERT report may be included. No special app required! Reportable information will be forwarded in a timely manner to a pre-designated school official for review.
To make a report, use one of the methods below:
Call or Text: (206) 406-6485
Who should I contact about...
Immunizations, illnesses, medications: Our nurse Kat_Azevedo@lagovista.txed.net, 512-267-8300, extension 5506
Registration, Transcripts: Our registrar, Tyra_Becker@lagovista.txed.net, 512-267-8300, extension 5503
Student Emotional Support, College Readiness, Student Schedules: Our counselor, Meghin_Huerta@lagovista.txed.net, 512-267-8300, extension 5504
Career and Tech Readiness: Our CTE Counselor, Elanna_Hylander@lagovista.txed.net, 512-267-8300, extension 5510