Follow Your Own Star
Weekly Newsletter September 19-23
Peek @ the Week
- Readers Arrrgh Leaders- Dress Like a Pirate
- Lesson plans due to Dr. P by 8:00 am (shared through Google Drive)
- MAP Testing
- Watershed- 3rd grade
- AP Seminar @DO 4:00 pm
Tuesday, September 20
- MAP Testing
- Grade Level Planning in Room 302- We will be discussing SLO's for 2016-2017, please be on time as we have a lot to cover.
- Special Education Audit Information Meeting for all teachers 2:45 in Media Center
Wednesday, September 21
- Science Kit Training for 4th grade teachers @DO 3:00 pm
- ELA Coach Meeting
Thursday, September 22
- First Day of Fall
- RtI Meetings
- Flu Shots for OES Faculty 7:30 am - 10:00 am
- PBIS Committee Meeting 2:45 pm
Friday, September 23
- School Spirit Day
- Order Lunch Out
- Fire Drill
- School Instructional Team Meeting 11:00 am
Need to Know News Shared with OES Parents
Boosterthon – In 10 days, OES will kick off this year’s Boosterthon with the theme of “Backyard Box Office!” This year’s fundraising efforts will go toward updating the sound system in our cafeteria to improve the overall experience at awards day programs, student performances, and PTA nights. With a goal of $27,500, the Boosterthon Fun Run is Oakland’s main PTA fundraiser. To ensure this year’s success, everyone’s support is needed! We are in need of volunteers. If you are available to help, sign up here!
School Improvement Council Elections – Information regarding this year’s School Improvement Council elections will be going home with your child tomorrow. Nominations to serve on this year’s council are due by 3:00pm on Friday, Sept. 23rd. Ballots will be prepared and sent home with your child on Monday of the following week; ballots are due by 3:00pm on Friday, Sept. 30th. If you have any questions, you are encouraged to contact Dr. Patterson. Thank you in advance for your willingness to serve our students, parents, and school community.
All Star Shout Out
Thank you Christina Harvey for helping our All Stars experience artistic success!
Oakland @ the CCC – The Chapman Cultural Center is currently hosting an art exhibit for K-12 students in Spartanburg districts 2 and 3. Congratulations to the following OES students for their artistic achievements and recognition: Emma Anderson, Derrick Nichols, Gabbie Metta, Delaney Caldwell, Carlin Miller, Daniel Pierce, Lilly Maslyanchuk, Yasmin Quintero, Lillian Wilson, Sophie Crosby, Oleg Komlov, Sophia Rogers, and Tanvi Chelasani. These students demonstrated high motivation, excellent craftsmanship, and creativity. The exhibit is located in the hallways of the first and second floors of the Carlos Moseley Building (West building) and will run through October 23rd. A reception will be held on Tuesday, September 20th from 5:30-6:30pm to recognize these outstanding students.
Exhibit Time(s): Daily 10 am-5 pm, Sunday 1-5 pm
Location: Chapman Cultural Center (hallway of the second floor of the Carlos Moseley Building (West building), 200 East St John Street, Spartanburg SC 29306
Mark Your Calendars...
- Sept. 19th – “Readers Arrrgh Leaders!” – Community Readers’ Day
- Sept. 23rd – School Spirit Day (Wear an OES shirt or school colors)
- Sept. 23rd – Ice Cream @ Lunch ($1.00)
- Sept. 23rd – Nominations for SIC are due by 3:00pm
- Sept. 26th- 1st Tee Challenge @Woodfin Ridge
- Sept. 26th – Grandparent Essay Contest Due (students ages 7-10 only)
- Sept. 27th- After School PD @2:45
- Sept. 28th – Boosterthon Kickoff
- Sept. 30th- SLO's Due
- Sept. 30th – Ice Cream @ Lunch ($1.00)
- Sept. 30th – Ballots for SIC are due by 3:00pm
September Birthday Wishes Go Out To...
Lisa Dominesey- September 1
Tonya Cannon- September 3
Gina Skinner- September 12
Dean Williams- September 13
Missy McMahon- September 25