El Modena Counseling Newsletter
Hoping for Change
We are hoping our nation can grow and heal, in so many ways. This song was written in the 60's, an iconic time in the history of our nation and I believe the lyrics are just as relevant today. "There have been times that I thought I couldn't last for long, But now I think I'm able to carry on. It's been a long, a long time coming, But I know a change is gonna come, oh yes it will." Hold on to that. Whether you feel it or not, you have gained a type of resilience that only comes from weathering a fierce storm. Feelings are temporary, they will ebb and flow, but rest in knowing you are now stronger than you know.
Love and hugs to all,
Registration 2021 - 2022
Calling all juniors! This week we begin junior registration starting on Wednesday 2/17 with a Live Q&A session with your counselors. Join us afterschool on 2/17 from 1:40 - 2:10pm to make sure you are college ready and on track for graduation. Fill out your Google Registration form in the link below to choose your senior year classes and schedule your one on one appointment with your counselor. We look forward to meeting with you! All other grade levels will follow this same registration process in the coming weeks. Check out the link below for all grade level registration dates and information.
Please view our counseling website regarding course offerings and information:
Relief for Those Impacted by COVID
- Emergency Rental Assistance Program - deadline to apply is 2/28. Visit https://era.211oc.org/ to see eligibility guidelines and apply.
- Call 2-1-1 or visit https://www.211ca.org/ Immediate assistance with food, shelter, health care, etc.
2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that helps people across North America find the local resources they need. We’re here for you
24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Application for shelter assistance: https://www.211oc.org/get-help/211oc-can-help/families-experiencing-homelessness.html
One-stop resource for the people of California impacted
by job loss during the COVID-19 Pandemic
CA Healthy Meals App - find meals in your area https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/mo/cameals.asp
- Free/low cost internet plans: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/hn/availableinternetplans.asp
- Orange Unified School District School Closure Resources: https://www.orangeusd.org/resources
Colleges With Later Application Deadlines
Santiago Canyon College Early Welcome for Fall 2021
Complete Early Welcome in 3 steps:
Community College Info
Did you know that you can receive FREE tuition for the first 2 years of community college?
This program is called the CA Promise Grant. Find more info in the link below:
Not sure which community college is right for you? There are 116 community colleges in CA and many have specialty programs only offered at their college. Use their helpful website to search colleges and programs to learn more:
Financial Aid - Have you filed your FAFSA? Deadline 3/2!
Need help filing the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application?
SCC is offering a final workshop on Feb. 23 from 4-6pm. Register via the link below:
Other financial aid resources:
- FAFSA help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nfk5ApcQ4
- Grants & Scholarships - the best kind of financial aid because it does not have to be paid back! How do you get them? https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/grants-scholarships
- The cost of college can sometimes be confusing, but just know that the sticker price isn't always what you have to pay! Read up on how to understand the cost of college here: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/pay-for-college/college-costs
Seniors: Assistance League of Orange is an amazing local scholarship you do not want to miss! The deadline is March 27, 2021. Link to apply: https://www.assistanceleague.org/orange/scholarships/
Other Scholarship Info & Links:
Seniors - Have You Been Accepted to College?
If you need assistance with ordering your transcript, please contact our registrar, Mrs. Gresham, email@example.com
In addition, if you qualify for free and reduced lunch, you also qualify for a Parchment fee waiver. Please contact Mrs. Gresham to utilize your fee waiver BEFORE you order a transcript.
College and Career Planning with Xello
This spring we would like all students to complete the Personality Styles Inventory as an introduction to Xello. In addition, there are many lessons and activities students can complete such as researching colleges, careers and creating a college interest list.
Take a College Class While in High School
Would you like to get ahead on your college credits or perhaps explore a subject not offered in high school? This program is referred to as dual enrollment and your counselor can assist you in getting signed up if you find this opportunity right for you. Learn more here:
Need to Fix a D or F Grade You Received?
Remember, all F grades must be made up to stay on track for graduation and the 4-year colleges do not accept D grades.
APEX online credit recovery is offered to all at any time of the year, not just during summer. Reach out to your counselor to be enrolled if you need to fix a D and/or F grade you received.
- Virtual Tutoring Sessions(all subjects): Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 2:30 - 3:30pm. Google Meet code: meet.google.com/uhn-hbko-fue
- Personal Statement Tutoring Sessions: Mondays and Tuesdays through 12/7, 2:30-3:30pm Google Meet code: meet.google.com/mwf-zibn-obd
Math Tutoring: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 3-4 pm
Google Meet code: ElmoTutoring
Paper: 24/7, on-demand, unlimited academic support. Check out your student dashboard for this awesome free tutoring resource!
Khan Academy: https://www.khanacademy.org/
Need a Work Permit?
Work Permit Instruction:
- Select the work permit link and electronically complete the PDF form. You may also print and fill the form with a blue or black pen. https://www.elmodenahs.org/counseling/college-and-career-information/career/work-permits
- Your employer, and parent or legal guardian must complete and sign the form.
- Email the COMPLETED work permit to Ms. Sjule, the EMHS Career Guidance Technician at firstname.lastname@example.org. A scanned image is preferred, but you may take a picture with your phone provided the information is clear. You may also return a physical copy to Ms. Sjule in the library.
- Allow 1-2 days for your work permit to be approved and signed.
- Follow-up with Ms. Sjule in the library to receive a copy of your signed and approved work permit to provide to your employer.
Be Kind to Your Mind - Mental Health Resources
For immediate psychiatric support call 911
Feeling stressed, overwhelmed, anxious? Time to calm the mind. Visit our Virtual Wellness Room to explore nature, music, mindfulness, movement, color and creativity, live animals and more. Research shows taking even a 5 minute break can improve the mind.
Mental Health and Wellness Resources:
Need a Device, Hot Spot or Tech Help?
Laptops and internet hotspots are available for distribution at the District Office Monday - Friday, 12:30 - 3:30, Building J. No appointment is needed.
Resources for Free/Reduced Internet:
Are you experiencing some technical difficulties with distance learning? Get help here:
Community Tech Support can be reached at 714-628-5372 or Email: email@example.com
Please note that the community tech support line remains open for all OUSD students and parents Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.