Holly Academy News & Views
October 9, 2020
Coffee & Conversation
The opportunity for communication is fundamental to the success of a school. To this end, the administrative team conducts "Coffee & Conversation" sessions approximately every six weeks. Our first session for this school year is Wednesday, October 21st, from 8:15am-9:15am. Unfortunately, this year you will have to provide your own coffee! We will be conducting this year's sessions virtually, through Zoom. This month we will run a "town hall" type session to discuss topical issues such as, COVID-19, virtual learning, health and safety, and any issues you want to discuss. Please watch the newsletter for the Zoom link as the date approaches.
It's great to be a Husky!
Experience Washington D.C.
Traditionally our eighth grade students culminate their years at Holly Academy with a trip to Washington D.C. This trip aligns academically with the eighth grade social studies standards for U.S. History. It also is a time for relationship building and a chance to experience first hand our nation's Capital. We are planning the trip for May, given a COVID friendly environment. If you have an eighth grade student please join us for an informational meeting on Tuesday at 6:00pm, via Zoom. It's great to be a Husky!
Topic: Washington, D.C. Parent Meeting
Time: Oct 13, 2020 06:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Meeting ID: 884 225 7593
When calling the attendance line, please give the symptoms your child is experiencing. We are required to track possible COVID-19 symptoms. Thank you for your cooperation.
Students or staff that present with the following symptoms must stay home:
- Fever or chills (fever of 100.4 or higher)
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Should a student or staff member have one or a combination of these symptoms they must do one of the following:
- Provide a negative COVID test result
- Complete 10 days isolation, with the improvement of symptoms, and no fever for 48 hours without fever-reducing medications
- Provide a physician's note stating that the student/staff is okay to return to school
Week of October 5th COVID-19 update:
10/5: Student sent home with symptom - negative COVID test
10/5: Student sent home with symptom - physician's note to return
10/5: Student sent home with symptom and quarantining - waiting for test results
10/6: Three students sent home with symptoms - all received physician's notes to return
10/7: Staff member went home with symptom and quarantining - waiting for test results
10/7: Student sent home with symptom - physician's note to return
10/7: Student sent home with symptom - negative COVID test
10/7: Student sent home due to parent's positive test - quarantining until negative test or 10 days symptom free
10/7: Student stayed home due to parent's positive test - quarantining until negative test or 10 days symptom free
10/7: Student sent home with symptom - quarantining until negative test or 10 days symptom free
10/8: Two students sent home with symptoms - quarantining until negative test or 10 days symptom free
10/8: Student sent home with symptom - physician's note to return
10/9: Student stayed home due to parent's positive test - quarantining until negative test or 10 days symptom free
10/9: "Close contact" student stayed home - quarantining until negative test or 10 days symptom free
10/9: Two students stayed home - quarantining awaiting parent's test results
NWEA testing will continue next week. If your Husky is a blended student, they may come to school on testing days that fall on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Below is the testing schedule for next week.
Monday, October 12: Kindergarten math and 4th/5th grade ELA
Tuesday, October 13: Y5/Kindergarten math and 3rd/5th ELA
Wednesday, October 14: 4th grade ELA
Thursday, October 15: 3rd grade ELA
Friday, October 16: Make ups
This week, our HVA Huskies took the NWEA reading assessment. Next week, we will continue testing.
Monday, October 12, at 8 am there will be a MAKE UP session for our Y5 - 2nd grade students who were absent or did not finish their reading test virtually on Wednesday.
*Additional make up times will be scheduled for students in grades 3-8. Please watch your email for make up schedules and testing times from your HVA teacher.
Monday, October 12: English Language Arts 3rd through 8th grade
Wednesday, October 14: Math Young 5’s through 8th grade
Friday, October 16: Science 3rd through 8th grade
Should you have any questions regarding testing, please email Mrs. Potteiger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attendance is required at weekly 1:1 Zoom meetings and reading groups. Your student will be marked absent if they are not in attendance.
With the return of 60 HVA students this week, we are sending the following reminders based on this week’s drop-off traffic issues:
· When in the drop-off lane, students must be ready to exit the vehicle. If a student is not ready, please drive first to the main parking lot to help with all the necessary items, including the mask.
· Please make use of all the drop-off lanes; too many vehicles are only using the first couple of lanes, and the resulting back-up is blocking the main parking lot’s exit.
· After dropping off a student at the first crosswalk, please stay in the same lane when you drive forward. The bypass to exit can only be used if you are already in Lane 5.
· If you plan to drop off at the second crosswalk, please stop at the first crosswalk. Check to see if the crosswalk helper has arms out to allow students to enter the crosswalk safely. Do not proceed unless given a “thumbs up” by the crosswalk helper.
· Please do not stop your car in the crosswalk.
· Please drive slowly throughout the entire drop-off process.
Holly Food Distribution
- Oct. 16 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Oct. 21 - Unity Day - wear orange or Stand Up to Bullying T-shirt to dress down
- Oct. 21 - Coffee & Conversation 8:00am - location TBD
- Oct. 21 - Hearing re-test day for K, 2nd and 4th grades
- Oct. 23 - HAEF dress down day - $1.00
- Oct. 26-30 - Spirit Week
- Oct. 28 - Board of Directors meeting at 5:30pm - in the auditorium
- Oct. 30 - Half day, dismiss at 11:30am - free dress down day
- Oct, 31 - Happy Halloween
- Nov. 5 - PTO meeting at 8:15am - via Zoom
- Nov. 6 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Nov. 12 - Report cards go home
- Nov. 13 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Nov. 18 - Board of Directors meeting at 5:30pm - in the auditorium