Arts Magnet News!
August 22-26, 2022
Week 18 for Families and Community Dec. 12-16, 2022
9 Busy School Days Left!
Dear Altadena Eliot Arts Families,
We had a wonderful week at Altadena Eliot Arts with school tours, an ELAC meeting, lots of learning in both our buildings and it all culminated with our performance and presence at Altadena's Christmas Tree Lane 100 year celebration. Thank you to all our parents and staff volunteers who set up and worked our beautiful booths with crafts and ornament sales. It was also wonderful to see and hear our talented students perform. There is so much going on this week, let's get right to it!
Coming Up this Week:
- Monday - We have our monthly spirit rally for middle school during period 2.
- Tuesday - We have our 5th grade Shadow Day for Ms. Luna's class at Eliot Arts. Peter Pan auditions Day 1 begin at 3:15 pm at the middle school.
- Wednesday - Dress Rehearsal for our PreK-8 Show at Eliot Arts auditorium 8:30-11 am. Peter Pan auditions Day 2 for those seeking a leading role begin at 3:15 pm at the middle school. Middle School Winter Concert 6:30 pm at Eliot Arts auditorium.
- Thursday - PreK-8th grade Winter Show, "Alas, We Dream Again" 9-11 am at the Eliot Arts auditorium. Pizza of Venice FUNdraiser for our Middle School PTSA.
- Friday - We have our 5th grade Shadow Day for Ms. Lopez's class at Eliot Arts. Peter Pan Day 3, Call backs at the Director's request 3:15 pm at the middle school. Middle School Winter Dance, "Old Hollywood" is at 6-8 pm in the gym.
Some things to note for the Holiday Show on Thursday morning:
- Parking around Eliot Arts is limited. We will open the AAM playground for parking and walking to the middle school campus. It is approximately a 10 minute walk.
- We will also have some accessible parking available on Calaveras at the middle school campus across from Aldi on the day of the show. Please be sure to show your placard.
- Please DO NOT park in Aldi's lot. You may be ticketed or towed.
- We are at a medium transmission rate of COVID at this point. Therefore, masks are strongly encouraged for our indoor performances. Masks and hand sanitizer will be available at the entrance of the theatre.
Some things to note about our Peter Pan auditions:
Tuesday everyone will learn:
A few singing bars from Never Never Land: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHixDALrAg and students will be taught 2-4 counts of 8 to dance.
Wednesday the people auditioning for leads will be singing:
Distant Melody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3m9PfOTPcE
Wendy, John, Michael, Mrs. Darling
Tender Shepard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVxkbUnNCsY
Captain Hook: My Tarantella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ff63pNPCgk
- Sign in will begin at 3 pm on the landing of the main entrance at the middle school campus.
- Elementary parents must bring and stay with their students throughout the process. There is no one available to walk them over. However, parents are encouraged to work with other parents to help support, if you cannot be there to transport your child.
- No parents/guardians will be allowed in the audition space.
- Once the show is cast, we will have staff to walk elementary students over for rehearsal.
- Any other PP questions, please refer to your notes from the parent meetings or reach out to our Director, Mr. Scott DiLorenzo.
Reminder to middle school parents. We still have a dress code, please do not send students to school in pajamas. Order your Husky Wear by clicking on the live link. Turn in by Wed. Dec 14th for distribution Dec. 20th during their PE class AND please consider donating to our fabulous student store, The Husky Exchange. See the flyer below.
SAVE THE DATES:
Saturday, January 14 is Eliot Arts Discovery Day! From 9-11:30 am fifth grade students all across PUSD are invited to come spend time discovering our arts conservatory while working directly with our fabulous teaching artists. In the meantime, parents get to spend the morning with me on a backstage tour of our beautiful campus while getting all their questions answered. This event is free and open to all. Please register for Discovery Day here.
Be sure to purchase your tickets for our Eliot Annual Fund Tower Tour happening on January 14 from 4-6 pm. See flyer below!
Saturday, January 21 9-11 am, join us for our Design Team meeting in the Eliot Arts Library. This is a deep dive conversation into our One School, Two Campus Design. All are welcome to attend.
FYI, if you receive attendance notifications and have questions or concerns, please email Rosa Magdaleno at firstname.lastname@example.org for our elementary site or Felicia Lee at email@example.com for our middle school site.
Please visit our Middle School Attendance Corner:
I wish you a wonderful week. It's a great December week to be a Cougar and a Husky!
Yours in Service,
Dr. Scheckel, Principal
PreK-8 Winter Performance. Admission is FREE!
Middle School Instrumental Concert!
Dine out for Dollars on Thursday!
Donate to The Husky Exchange!
Get your tickets today!
Join Us for Middle School Discovery Day!
Tell all your friends with 5th grade students both within and outside of PUSD to sign up for this inside look of our awesome middle school arts conservatory! RSVP at pusd.us/eliotartstours.
Click on the graphic to order your middle school yearbook today!
2022-2023 Housing Survey!
The pandemic has exacerbated inequities in our community. The state of California estimated a 48% increase in students experiencing homelessness over the last decade and recent legislation (AB-27) was passed to provide expanded services in partnership with schools and other public agencies.
In order to ensure that our students who are impacted by housing instability receive appropriate services to support their learning needs, Pasadena Unified is conducting an annual housing survey.
Please visit the survey to complete this confidential survey by January 30, 2023. If you require a paper survey or alternative accommodations, please contact your school site or Pasadena Unified Families in Transition Office at 750 N. Los Robles Ave. Pasadena, CA 91104.
Dec. 14 Produce Distribution!
- Open Enrollment Dates for the 2023-24 school year are now posted on our website. All current PUSD families will receive a hard copy of the Open Enrollment calendar in the mail in mid-October, and we will send extras to your school sites in October.
- Sibling and Program Priority Registration applications go live online Oct. 24, 2022, 9AM - Nov. 14, 2022, 4PM.
From our Middle School PTSA President!
Hope all is well. The semester is coming to a close, but your PTSA is still busy.
Join us this week for the middle school music concert in the Eliot Arts Auditorium at 6:30. We will be selling hot dogs, chips and cookies and of course hoodies, sweats and Spirit wear will be for sale. Donations are appreciated.
Tis the Season to be Supporting your local Schools!
Support Eliot Arts MS every time you shop at Amazon by registering with Amazon Smile!
http://smile.amazon.com or https://org.amazon.com/npo/portal
PTSA is holding a Fundraiser at Pizza of Venice on Fair Oaks on 12/15/22. The food is great, so stop by.
Your PTSA is looking for more members.We still need a Treasurer and Chairmanship positions are available. Think about it.
On a personal note, please take care of yourselves. I have been under the weather for a while, not fun. Lots of bugs are floating around and they are easy to catch. Don't Let your guard down and ruin your holiday.
Eliot Arts PTSA President
"Many hands make light work"
Please consider making a recurring donation of $45 to one or both of our Annual Funds! Our annual funds help to create a bridge for special services and arts programs at each of our campuses. Our annual funds are separate. Altadena's annual fund is chaired by Ms. Tasiah LeConte and Eliot's annual fund is chaired by Ms. Wendy Silva. Please join their committees and consider making a donation today!
- 1 Eliot School Tour @ 8:30 am in the Auditorium
- 1 Peter Pan Parent Info Meeting @ 6pm in the Eliot Auditorium
- 5 Peter Pan Virtual Info Meeting via Google Meet at 4:30 pm
- 8 AAM School Tour @ 9am in the Parent Room
- 9 Shelter in Place Drills at both sites
- 10 Christmas Tree Lane Performance and 100 Year Celebration Time TBD
- 13, 14 & 16 Peter Pan Auditions 3:15-6:00 pm in the Eliot Auditorium
- 14 Middle School Instrumental Concert @ 6:30 pm in the Eliot Auditorium
- 15 K-8 Winter Show @ 9:00 am in the Eliot Auditorium
- 15 Choir sings at Board Meeting @TBD
- 15 Middle School Pizza of Venice FUNdraiser
- 17 Bethlehemilton presented by Eliot Arts and Harambee
- 18-26 Hannukah
- 22 Last Day of School, Elementary dismisses at 11:55 am and Middle School dismisses at 1:00 pm
- 23-January 8, 2023 Winter Break
- 9 School Resumes