Centennial High School
CHS Weekly: November 15-21, 2020
IMPORTANT SCHOOL DATES:
November 16 - Remote Monday (see schedule below)
November 17 - Team 1
November 18 - Team 2 (no late start)
November 19 - Team 1
November 19 - School Photo Make-up Day during Period 4
November 20 - Team 2
November 20 - School Photo Make-up Day during Period 4
November 23-27 - Thanksgiving Break
November 26 - Thanksgiving
December 16 - Quarter 2 Evening Parent/Teacher Conferences - virtual appointments ONLY, 4:30-8:00pm
CHS Bell Schedule
November Daily Schedule
Student Expectations during Remote Learning
- ALL students will be provided an asynchronous activity to complete, at home, by not later than 7:45am.
- Students will follow the afternoon bell schedule (see above) to check in with their teachers and their classes.
- ALL students report to online learning on Monday. This is NOT a team designated day!
- Students should come to school on their team designated days.
- Students should bring with them their laptop, fully charged, and any and all necessary classroom materials.
- Attendance is taken on in person and remote days!
REMOTE/VIRTUAL DAYS (at home):
- Students should logon to class at the beginning of every period. (see bell schedule above)
- Attendance is taken on in person and remote days!
- Students should complete the assigned work for the day, regardless of face-to-face or remote instruction.
Worried about grades and missing assignments? Contact your classroom teacher! Refer to PowerSchool, NOT Microsoft Teams for accurate information!
The Boosters are selling spirit wear! Here is the link to the spirit store! Centennial Spirit Store! Get it while it lasts, it's first come, first serve and limited quantities.
Happy Veteran's Day and Thank You!
Thank you to our faculty and staff who served in the Armed Forces. We salute you and your families and thank you for your sacrifice!
- Officer Evan Bradley
- KC Bergland
- David Dust
- Larry Glover
- Scott McFarland
- Nathan McFarlane
- Zeke Soza
- Eric Taylor
AVID TUTORS WANTED
Speech & Debate
Senior Spotlight - CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE
Congratulations to our October Teachers of the Month
School Psychologist Appreciation Week
Fun Facts about Sarah Grinnell:
- I started my career in Arizona, but I am an Idaho native and came back to Idaho about 10 years ago.
- I am a firm believer that "weird" is a side effect of awesome. I don’t try to hide my quirkiness and embrace my limited-edition status. I want to teach my two daughters to embrace their uniqueness, so I hold my weird flag high!
- I love yarn!
- My favorite time of day is in the early morning with the quiet before the world wakes up.
- I love statistics and data. Nothing makes me quite as happy as a good graph.
- I love a good cup of coffee (cream, but no sugar please) or a cute pair of shoes (heels preferred).
- I was a professional baker for years before becoming a school psychologist/counselor.
Illness Decision Tree
When should I contact Centennial High School?
If a student has been determined to be positive for COVID-19, please communicate with Tammi Desaulniers (the school nurse), Derek Bub, Principal, or Attendance Secretary, Michelle Allen before communicating with individual teachers - 208-855-4250. School administration will work with students, families and teachers to develop a plan for students to work remotely.
Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases within the community and school, it is imperative that students do not attend school if they are displaying ANY of the following symptoms:
- Muscle aches
- Congestion/runny nose
- Loss of smell or taste
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
COLLEGE & CAREER CENTER
The Boss Up Empowerment Conference
Our Boss Up Empowerment Conference is for high school girls in the 9th-12th grade. During this interactive, 3-hour virtual conference, we will teach girls the importance of using their voice and platforms to effect positive change for themselves and their communities. We will cover topics like leadership, college readiness, entrepreneurship, and advocacy. From this conference, we want girls to take away the knowledge of how to propel their communities forward and develop lasting success for themselves. Over the summer, we hosted two Boss Up Empowerment Conferences and served over 500 girls from 35+ states.
This event will take place on Saturday, December 12th from 9 AM- 12PM MST. Since the program is virtual, there is no limit to the number of girls you can invite. If you have any questions, please let me know. I can be reached through email or at 757-477-0184.
AVANZA! - University of Idaho is hosting their annual AVANZA program virtually this year.
November 17, 18, 19 6-8PM. MT.
Avanza is a great opportunity for Hispanic/Latina seniors to discover how U of I will help them achieve their goals. They’ll meet our staff and alumni, learn about the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP), and get one-on-one help with their admission application and FAFSA before our December 1 priority date (the early consideration date for our diversity scholarships). All services at Avanza for parents and students are offered in Spanish and English.
Students who attend Avanza will be interviewed for a chance to win one of twenty $500 scholarships provided by Idaho Central Credit Union.
Students can register for the event at www.uidaho.edu/avanza-events.
Women in Technical Careers
Women in Technical Careers is an interactive and informative discussion for female students in grades 9-12. Presenters will include engineers, chemists, physicists, and more!
Wednesday, December 2nd 11:00-12:00
Career & Technical Education
Are you interested in a hands-on career? College of Western Idaho (CWI) offers comprehensive training in just 9-24 months. CWI partners with local employers to ensure students learn the skills necessary to be competitive. Visit: https://cwi.edu/programs-degrees/career-technical-education for more information.
Programs include: Automotive Technology, Computer Support Specialist, Early Childhood Education, Heavy Equipment Technician, Welding and Metals Fabrication, and many more!
Emails from college representatives from across the country are coming in DAILY! They want to meet YOU and share information about their schools, including the application process. All visits are virtual and most begin at 3:30 PM. Invite your parents to join the meeting too!
Girls in STEM presented
Discussions will be the first Monday of each month - December 2nd 11:00-12:00
Registration is required: https://k12foundation.wufoo.com/forms/sqs3p4m13yub6q/
Students will receive a secure Zoom link to join following registration.
Spring IDLA Registration - Open Now!
If you are looking to graduate early, have fallen behind, prefer online learning - Idaho Digital Learning Alliance (IDLA) provides online solutions for a variety of academic needs.
AND, if you meet the requirements, you can request Fast Forward Funds to pay for your class(es).
Contact Wendy Rossman, IDLA Site Coordinator, at email@example.com to get the Registration Form, Session/Course Schedule, Instructions for registering, Fast Forward Info., etc.
BSU - Sophomore Start
Freshmen and Sophomore students at CHS can participate in the Boise State University, Sophomore Start Program. It is designed for a motivated student who can maintain a 3.0 GPA and who would like to earn 30 college credits while still in high school. Students can utilize Fast Forward Funds to pay for these college credits. This can be a great opportunity to enter college as a Sophomore for students who are planning to attend Boise State. A dedicated advisor will work with the student throughout their participation in the program.
If you would like more information about this program please visit Boise State's Concurrent Enrollment website at https://www.boisestate.edu/concurrentenrollment/sophomore-start/ or if you would like to speak with an adviser please contact Harmonee Teng at (208) 426-3772 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Careers in a High-Tech World - Job Shadow Event
Careers in a High-Tech World - Job Shadow Event
Each month Micron is offering a virtual job shadow event for students in grades 9-12 to explore careers in the high-tech world. Registration is required and additional information will be available following registration.
Technicians & Skilled Trades - Wednesday, November 18th
Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science - Tuesday, December 15th
Idaho Opportunity Scholarship
The application period is now open for the Idaho State Board of Education's Idaho Opportunity Scholarship! The Opportunity Scholarship awards eligible applicants up to $3,500 per academic year and is renewable for up to four years! Apply by March 1, 2021 using the link!
The scholarship funds are available per school year. Recipients must renew each year and are eligible to receive the scholarship for a maximum of four years.
To qualify for the scholarship, a student must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have an unweighted, cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above
- Be an Idaho resident
- Graduated or will graduate from an Idaho high school or its equivalent or Idaho home school (GED/HSE from Idaho)
- Complete the State Board of Education scholarship application by March 1
- FAFSA Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by March 1
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. (See program rules for more details.)
Must attend on of these eligible Idaho colleges or universities
- Boise State University
- The College of Idaho
- College of Southern Idaho
- College of Western Idaho
- College of Eastern Idaho
- Idaho State University
- Lewis-Clark State College
- North Idaho College
- Northwest Nazarene University
- University of Idaho
Juniors and Seniors who would like to take the ACT
You must sign-up for this on your own at act.org
- Upcoming test dates are: December 12
- Deadlines to sign up vary - check the ACT website here for more information
- Cost is $55
ACT TEST PREP:
- Visit ACT Academy for FREE ACT personalized practice https://pages.act.org/free-practice-act-test.html · https://academy.act.org
- Free ACT Practice Test: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/free-act-practice-test.aspx
- Question of the Day: http://kaplanquizzes.com/act/