FIRST GRADE NEWS
March 24, 2016
IMPORTANT INFORMATION and REMINDERS
1ST GRADE MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: THURSDAY, APRIL 14TH, AT 6 P.M.
- Each student will need a plain, white t-shirt for the performance. You can find cheap ones at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Wal-Mart. Please send it to school with your child's name written on the inside tag. We need them by April 1st.
- On April 7th, we will need volunteers to help us decorate the t-shirts for the show. If you can help, please email your child's teacher.
- Mrs. Pickles, our music teacher, would appreciate parent volunteers to help her decorate the stage the morning of the performance, April 14th. If you can help, please email her: firstname.lastname@example.org .
FIELD TRIP: On March 30th, 1st Grade will visit the Plano Children's Theatre. Please see the attached permission slip. You can print it out at home and have your child bring it to school. Please contact your child's teacher if this is a problem.
PICTURE ORDERS: A proof of your child’s spring candid portrait was sent home last week. Please be sure to return the order form or place your order online by the due date of April 1st. NO LATE ORDERS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE SCHOOL AND ANY LATE ORDERS PLACED ON THE WEBSITE WILL INCUR SHIPPING CHARGES.
SCIENCE SUPPLIES - Thank you for sending in the science supplies. We will begin using them soon.
STAAR TESTING: Please see the attached message about STAAR testing days. On those days only authorized personnel are allowed in the building. Parents may not eat in the cafeteria with their children or volunteer in their usual assignments. Thank you for your cooperation.
Amazing Coin is a free app for Ipads and similar devices. It offers several interactive games dealing with identifying and counting coins, making change, and money patterns. Students especially love the rewards that allow them to buy food in the "store."
- We are using symbols < > = to compare numbers as we examine the amount of ones, tens, and hundreds each number has.
- A fun idea is to compare scores from the NCAA basketball games!
LANGUAGE ARTS/SOCIAL STUDIES:
- This week, we are learning about the similarities and differences of past and present schools and recreation.
- We have continued to practice making inferences while reading and using the spelling pattern --or.
- Ask your child the difference between living and non-living things. The students had fun making a non-living, rock "pet!"
Friday, March 25: No School
March 29-30: STAAR
March 30: Field Trip to the Plano Children's Theatre
Thursday, April 14th: 1st Grade Musical Performance
April 18-22: Reading MAP
April 25-29: Math MAP