Buffalo Family Bulletin
Connect with Us
- School website: http://blackshear.kleinisd.net/
- Follow us on Twitter: @BlackshearKISD
- Follow our school hashtag on Twitter: #HaveUHerdKISD - By the way, it has been so neat to see our parents and community begin using our hashtag as well!
- Follow us on Facebook
- View a full catalog of our online flyers on the Blackshear Peachjar page
- Have you ever wondered about our school procedures? Click here for a parent reference guide.
- Inclement Weather Dismissal Procedures
News and Reminders
- Car Rider: As the year has progressed, our procedures have become more efficient. Our line now clears closer to 3:40 on most days. When the last car in line has been entered, we close the line and parents who arrive after this must pick up their students in the office. Those of you who wait until the end of carpool in order to avoid the line may want to arrive 5 minutes earlier in order to avoid having to park and come inside.
- Parent Volunteers: Klein ISD has transitioned to a new electronic volunteer system which requires annual background checks. Please visit this website for more information and to re-submit your background check for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Absences: Please send a note (doctor or parent) within 5 days of your student returning to school. Notes may be turned in to the teacher or office, emailed to the teacher or office staff, or submitted through Skyward Family Access.
- Peach Jar: Please make sure that you are receiving electronic flyers, as that is our primary source of communication again this year. If you are not currently receiving them, visit their website and sign up manually. You can also opt out of certain types of flyers to lesson the number coming to your inbox. We suggest you at least accept school and PTO flyers so that you don't miss any important news.
Big Kahuna did so well that we reached our goal and raised the remaining balance needed to install an addition to our playground!!! We have now moved forward with the purchase and if all goes according to plan, installation should be within 6 weeks! Your kids are going to LOVE it - it will be right next to our current structure and is meant to encourage active play - like a race/obstacle course type of thing. If you want to check it out early, Lemm elementary just installed the same one in different colors.
Some parents have asked PTO why they are beginning another fundraiser, and we want to clarify that BK was a school fundraiser, with the playground funded by school money.
PTO fundraisers are different because, while they also provide instructional and fun things for our students, they do fun community events like Friday’s Trunk or Treat on top of that. One of the PTO’s goals with the upcoming fundraiser is to cover the new playground with a new shade structure!
We are so fortunate to have such a supportive PTO who partners with us to make school great for our kids!
Student Absences: Attendance matters at Klein ISD and at Blackshear Elementary as it is essential for the success of every student. Please visit our Attendance Counts Webpage for helpful information in regards. Also, See Student Handbooks to learn more about our attendance requirements and Compulsory State Law.
Please note that warning letters for 3-5 unexcused absences are being sent home. Once a student acquires 6 or more unexcused absences, they will be eligible for an Individual Attendance Plan (IAP) that will be enforced by campus administration.
Red Ribbon Week
Red Ribbon week has kicked off to a great start! Blackshear's focus this year has been on making healthy life choices. Classroom teachers led community circles that focused on the following topics. Our hope is for you to use this topic guide to foster open communication with your student regarding these topics. Helping students foster healthy mindsets about these topics at an early age can really pay off later!
Thanks to our October Watch D.O.G.S.!!!
Please check school website for additional dates, as they are subject to change
- November 4-18 - PTO World's Finest Chocolate Fundraiser
- November 7: Science Night (6:00-7:30 p.m.)
- November 11: Veteran's Day Choir Performance (2-3 p.m.)
- November 12: Progress reports go home
- November 16: Community Workout in gym (8:30-9:15 a.m.)
- November 19: Pre-K Field Day
- November 22: K-5 Field Day (K-2: 12:15-2:45; 3-5: 8:30-11:00)
- November 25-29: Thanksgiving Break