NUAMES North Counseling Center
In This Issue:
SCHEDULE CHANGES FOR TERM 3
Ways to Change your Schedule:
- Fill out your request at this LINK, then go under Quick Links to find the Schedule Change Request Form. PLEASE be as specific as possible (tell us what you want to add, drop, etc.)
- Email your Counselor to ask for what you need
- Make an appointment with your counselor if needed by emailing them. You can find their emails on the COUNSELING WEBSITE under your Counselor's picture.
Do's and Don'ts of Schedule Changes:
- Be flexible with your schedule and what you are willing to take
- We can't change classes based on things like wanting to be with your friends, wanting classes closer together, etc.
- Many classes are full and moves may not be possible
- Please don't ask to move EVERYTHING! Making 1-2 changes is polite.
Starting on January 18th:
- We will begin charging $10 fee, unless it's an error on our part
- Students will be required to have teacher's signatures on both the class you're leaving and going to.
COUNTDOWN TO GRADUATION!
Graduation is closer than you think! Here are some things you should be working on if you want to graduate this year:
- Remember May 1 is the DUE DATE for EVERYTHING! (Passing your classes, having credit recovery done, working off U's, paying fees, Seminar requirements completed, etc.)
- Complete your Capstone Project - SENIOR CAPSTONE NIGHT IS FEBRUARY 2ND!
- ORDER your CAP & GOWN if you haven't yet @ jostens.com
- Here is the link for the required cap and gown unit only ----> $38.00 GAP AND GOWN UNIT
- Check your PTG to make sure you don't need to add something to your schedule
- Work on your CREDIT RECOVERY so ALL of it is done on May 1
- Pay any outstanding fees
- Work off your U's by doing Citizenship Recovery
- Pass the Civics Test if you haven't already
- Have a plan for AFTER GRADUATION
The Principal will be sending notices to you and your parents/guardians in the spring if you are not on track. The notice will explain you may not participate in graduation if you are not on track by 5/1/23.
- Being on track means your credit recovery is completed and you are passing your current classes.
- Don't stress out your family by getting the message you might not participate in graduation ceremonies!
SOPHOMORES SCHEDULE CCR MEETINGS
It's Your Turn to Schedule CCR Meetings with your School Counselor
- CCR = College and Career Readiness Meetings
- Look for an email invitation from your School Counselor in mid-January to schedule your appointment
- We want your parent/guardian to attend. Please check with them and coordinate your schedules.
- Don't ignore the invitation or we will pick your time. We'd much rather YOU schedule at a time when it's convenient for you and your family
What Do We Talk About at the CCR Meeting?
- Review your Progress Toward Graduation and NUAMES Graduation Requirements
- Your FUTURE GOALS and how we can support those
- What classes you might want to take next year
- Give you resources for finding scholarships
- Options during high school for earning college credit
- Credit Recovery options, if you need to complete this
- Upcoming events for 10th Graders (SOPHOMORE CONFERENCE - MARCH 16TH!)
HOW TO STAY ACTIVE IN WINTER
The NBC Today Show shared some great tips on keeping active in cold weather (Article LINK)
- Seek Out an Exercise Partner or Group: This will help you have some social pressure to do it!
- Enlist the Thermostat: Maybe turn up the heat earlier if you're trying to exercise in the morning so it's easy to get out of bed.
- Make it a Goal just to Get to the Gym: Just get dressed and go, even if you don't stay for a long time. Once you're there, you'll usually do ok.
- Exercise during Lunch: Take a brisk walk during lunch break. You'll get fresh air and some movement.
- Focus on the Mental Health Benefits: This will help almost immediately with feeling less stressed and more relaxed. Exercise is a GREAT tool to stay happier during the long, cold months.
- Plan Ahead: Watch the weather forecasts to know when you need to bundle up. Plan ahead with the workout gear you need before you go to bed.
- Put on Exercise Clothes when You Get Home: As soon as you get in from school, put on your gear so your brain knows it's time to go exercise.
- Sleep in Exercise Clothes: If you want to exercise before school, try sleeping in your clothes so all you have to do is wake up and go.
Dec. 10, 2019, 3:19 PM MST / Updated Oct. 30, 2020, 9:25 AM MDT / Source: TODAY
By A. Pawlowski
CTE Scholarship for Utah Students
- The Career and Technical Education (CTE) Scholarships and Tuition Awards are for outstanding CTE students in Utah.
- The scholarships/awards are sponsored by the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) with funds provided by participating higher education institutions. The award amount varies by institution.
- The CTE Scholarships and Tuition Awards may only be applied toward future programs and not toward any expense incurred as a high school student. Each scholarship/award has different criteria for what the scholarship/award can be used.
What Colleges Participate in CTE Scholarship?
The following institutions participate in the CTE Scholarship Program:
How Do Students Qualify?
- Lawfully present in the United States and must be a current Utah resident.
- A high school senior, currently enrolled in a Utah public secondary school.
- Eligible to graduate from a Utah public secondary school before September 1, 2023.
- Applicant must verify the CTE program he/she wants to enroll in is offered at the selected institutions. Please refer to the Institution Criteria Frequently Asked Questions for detailed information.
- The applicant may accept other private scholarships. However, be aware that at some participating institutions, applicants cannot accept a CTE Scholarship and Tuition Award and another scholarship from the same institution.
How Do You Apply?
Before beginning the 2023 CTE Scholarship and Tuition Awards Application, all applicants need to meet all the eligibility qualifications and have the documentation requirements ready to upload. You must confirm each of the documentation requirements to enable the 2023 CTE Scholarship and Tuition Awards Application.
Application Due by Friday Jan 27, 2023
2023 CTE Scholarships and Tuition Awards Application
Should you have any additional questions, contact:
Specialist, CTE Scholarships and Tuition Awards
Phone: (801) 538-7594 | E-mail
- Jan 4: Welcome Back to School
- Jan 4-9: Schedule Change Form is open
- Jan 6: Capstone Mentoring Day - ALL STUDENTS MUST ATTEND (bell schedule adjusted)
- Jan 6: Weber State Student Supports Webinar 1:00 PM for SENIORS
- Jan 9: Application Deadline for Oratorical Contest
- Jan 9: Weber State Spring Semester Starts
- Jan 13: Final Day of Term 2
- Jan 16: Martin Luther King Jr Day - NO SCHOOL
- Jan 17: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- Jan 18: First Day of NUAMES Term 3
- Jan 18: Schedule Change $10 Fee and Teacher Signatures Required
- Jan 20: Winter Dance 7:00-9:30 PM
- Jan 24: Student of the Term Breakfast
- Jan 24: LAST CHANCE to attend Early College Info Session 6:00 PM
- Jan 25: Nighthawks Scholar Luncheon
- Jan 26: Mandatory Sophomore Seminar at Lunch in D3 Ballroom
- Jan 26: Oratorical Contest
- Jan 27: LAST DAY for Schedule Changes
- Jan 30: Sophomore CCR Meetings Begin
SAVE THE DATE!
- FEB 2: Capstone Night (All Students are welcome to come and see the seniors' projects) **Sophomores and Juniors can earn elective Seminar credit for attending**
- FEB 6: JR Mandatory Seminar #2 "Utah Higher Education Day"
- Make sure to complete Transportation request form -----> HERE
- MAR 9: ACT for Juniors
- MAR 16: SOPH Mandatory Seminar #2 "Sophomore Conference"
- MAR 22: SR Mandatory Seminar #2