Raureka School Term 1 Week 5
Newsletter 3 March 2021
Here we are at the start of Autumn and once again back at Alert level 2.
When in Alert level 2 we need to ensure that we sign in using the Covid App, keep 2m gaps between people and sanitize our hands.
- Unfortunately, we can't have parents on site unless it is essential.
- We have had to postpone the Carnival to a later date as it is a major fundraising event for our Y6 Camp. This will be held when we are back in level 1.
- The interschool swimming sports have been postponed until Tuesday 9 March. Let's hope we will be back in level 1 to enable this to go ahead.
School Building upgrade:
A the start of Term 2, Rooms 12 & 13 will have a major upgrade and this will bring the buildings up to modern standard with new bifold doors, an office and a bigger opening between the rooms with a larger verandah area to help with outside play.
Rooms 12 & 13 will move out of their rooms while the work is being done and move back in once the building is completed.
Easter this year is in term time and this means that school will be closed from Good Friday, 2 April and open again on Wednesday 7 April. All Schools are closed on the Tuesday as well.
A reminder if you have a problem please contact your child's teacher and they can help get it sorted.
Please remember that classes start at 8:55 a.m. each day and all children should be at school, unless they are sick, ready to start then. When the children arrive on time they do not miss out on valuable learning time and they feel as though they haven't missed anything. Keep in mind too that when children arrive late it can be hard on their classmates to be interrupted - some children struggle to refocus on the lesson.
A reminder that all children should be wearing their school sunhat every day during playtime and lunchtime, this is to protect them from the sun. Children who do not wear the school sunhat will need to be play in an area out of the sun.
School Photo's will take place on Wednesday 10 March, starting just after 9:00.
Photo's will cost $10 each and include 1 18x13cm class photo plus 1 18x13 individual portrait.
- An envelope has been sent home, so please fill it out, enclose the $10 and send it back to school so it can be ready for the photographer.
- Each child will need to have an individual envelope.
- The photographer will only take photos of children who have sent back their completed order and have paid.
- All orders/correct money, must be in by Wednesday 10 at 9.00am. EFTPOS is not available for photos.
- NO late orders can be taken.
School Patrol Helpers - we are desperate for parental help on the following days.
Front gate - Wednesday & Friday; Back gate - Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.
The children are fully trained it is just a matter of supporting them from 8.30-9.00am.
PALS (Physical Activity Leaders)
Well done Cody, Manjot, Aaliyah, Aries, Coco, Marilyn, Ritchie, Skyla, Iris, Kooper, Zach, Emma, Layla, Kobe, Jaylarni, Verzorie!
Sports Result: Players of the Day
Raureka / Twyford played Parkvale they won 161-46.
Players of the Day: Thomas and Cooper with good batting from Manjot and Ashton.
Raureka White played Mayfair and they drew 23-23. The player of the day was Ashton for his home runs and amazing catches
Raureka Black played Parkvale and won 24-21. The player of the day was Cooper B for excellent Fielding
Photo: Thomas Barber, Cooper Burns, Manjot Kaila, Ashton Scannell.
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Responsibility/Haepapa - which means, look after yourself and those around you by being a committed, contributing member of society.
Expected behaviour for this week: children will walk in lines.
Our value for Week 4 was ...
The following children received awards:
R1 Pounamu Rakena-Koni, R2 , R4 JTuma Hone, R5 Reggie Pakai-Turi, R7 ,
R8 Fusi Fakatokaga, R11 Nair Cabrera-Carroll, R12 Millie Buckingham, R14 Ella Kane,
R15 Savannah Bennett-Konia, R19 Ngawai King, R20 Tyler Golding, R21 Carter Nuku,
ESOL Melania Tonga-Malie.
- Int School Swimming Sports - Tues. - March - 9
- School Photos- Wed. - March - 10
- Yr 4-6 Zoo Trip - Wed./Thurs. - March - 24/25
- Easter- Good Friday - Friday - April - 2 (School Closed)
- Easter Monday - Mon. - April 5 - (School Closed)
- Easter Tuesday - Tues. - April 6 - (School Closed)
- School Marae Trip - Thurs. - April - 9
- Last Day Term 1 - Fri. - April - 16 (School Closes at 2:55)
- First Day Term 2 - Mon. - May - 3 (School Opens at 8:55)
Let's have a peek inside Room 5...
· School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
o moved house?
o phone/cellphone numbers changed?
o living arrangements changed?
o emergency contacts changed?
o medical details?
Supervision for our patrollers.
We again would be grateful for any parent who could spare ½ hr BEFORE SCHOOL ONLY, to assist our patrollers. The children are fully trained; you just need to support/supervise with them as children arrive at school.
Please contact Chris at the office if you can help. If you helped last year and would like to continue, please still contact Chris J. You will need to be Police vetted for this.
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Maycenvale United Junior Football Club Registration
Saturday March 6 – Regional Sports Park – 11am to 2.30pm
Come and have a sausage sizzle and a play on the bouncy castle.
Fees have been set at $60 per child if paid on the day.
Any questions contact
Trish 0272132135 firstname.lastname@example.org
Hastings Rugby and Sports Weighin/ Registration evening!
When: Tues 9th March 3.30-5.30pm
Where: Main Clubrooms at Elwood Park
Cost: $50 per player
$80 for two siblings
$100 for 3+
(Please note subs have gone up from last year as they were reduced due to Covid)
Cash and Eftpos available.
Please ensure all players are registered online and note ALL players from 5th grade up to 12th grade need to be weighed in. Follow the link below to register.
Any Questions contact Hannah McGrail 0274134594