March 26th - April 6th
- PARCC testing grades 3/4
Tuesday, April 10th
- D39 Special Board of Ed Meeting, MEC, 6 pm
Monday, April 16th
- 4th grade student Music Showcase at HMS
Thursday, April 19th
- Early Release-Parent/Teacher Conferences (11:55 1st-4th, no AM kindergarten and PM kindergarten attends 8:35-10:00 AM)
Friday, April 20th
- No School-Parent/Teacher Conferences
Wednesday, April 25th
- 9:30 4th Grade Concert
- 6:30 pm Kindergarten Orientation
Friday, April 20th
- Arbor Day tree planting with 3rd and 4th graders
Dr. Kick's Corner
- The presentation on cyber safety at Wednesday's PTO meeting was a HUGE success. There was so much valuable information! Above, you will see just a few pictures of important information. We have handouts in the front lobby and we are hoping to send a condensed version of the presentation. A few take-a-ways are listed below:
-MONITOR CONSTANTLY your child's online usage/access!! Adult supervision is the MOST important factor!! Who is your child talking to and what websites are being accessed?
-YOU own your child's device, not your child (empower yourself as a parent)
-Set limits on the usage of the device (all devices get charged in the family room overnight, get checked daily for activity online (websites, social media, etc.)
-Apps that promote "anonymous" chatting or gaming often contain exact and current geographic locations
-Having daily, open and on-going/honest communication with your children is the best means to navigate your child's cyber safety as well as remaining current in their quickly changing social lives
- 4th Grade Parents: The 5th Grade parent placement input form comes out after Spring Break. Highcrest will send you an email directly in April and it will be posted on their website.
There is still time to register for Summer Enrichment! Late registration is open until May 4th! During this time there will be a $9.00 late registration fee per class.
Back by popular demand...
Harper PTO Movie Night presents:
All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to come enjoy this classic tale about a gentle bull.
It going to be a TON of fun!
Join us in the auditorium:
Friday, April 27, 2017
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
Sign up here by Friday, April 20th
$15 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
All children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. NO DROP OFFS.
We request that cell phones and other devices be left at home. Thanks!
Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up here
- It's not too late to get involved and be on the PTO next year! There are a few opportunities left- don't miss out! We are looking for vounteers for the following: Exec Board- President Elect and Communications Assistant. We are also looking for the following: Auditor, Committee Board Members: Community Service, (1 spot) Community Review Committee (1 spot), Directory & Membership (1 spot), Enrichment for 1st (1 spot), 2nd (1 spot), 3rd and 4th grade (2 spots- grab a friend!), Harper Hoedown (many open spots), Jr. Great Books, Nominating for 2019/20 PTO Board, Parent Social (1 spot), iGNITE assistant (1 spot), Box Tops, Yearbook Assistants (a few spots). Please contact Arielle Heneghan if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org. Come be part of this amazing PTO and give back to the kids!
- Does your child have an April Birthday? Don't forget to sign up here for BIRTHDAY BOOKS! Kids love it and it's a great way to donate a new book to our beautiful library!
- Ready, set, GROW…with the Harper Garden Club! Garden Club is an 8-week club beginning Monday, April 9th and continuing each Monday until June 4th. The Garden Club meets from 3:15-4:30pm. The sign up opens on the Harper PTO website on Tuesday, March 20th and costs $80. Space is limited to first 12 students. For more info, contact Ali Straitiff at email@example.com.
- The District 39 Educational Foundation is hosting a family event fundraiser with a viewing of a classic movie at the Wilmette Theatre (1122 Central Ave.) on Sunday, April 15th at 3 pm. Celebrate “The Princess Bride” with the whole family and support Wilmette’s public schools at the same time! Featuring a costume contest before the show. Dress up as one of your favorite characters to add to the fun!
- Attention all 4th grade parents! Please join us on Wednesday, May 2nd at 7pm in the HMS auditorium for a 4th to 5th grade transition question and answer session. The panel is made up of current HMS parents along with HMS Administration. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Upcoming dates in April:
- 10th--High Touch High Tech visits 1st Grade with their “What’s the Matter?” program
- 17th--Illustrator David Lee Csiszko visits 1st Grade
- 26th--SWANCC visits Kindergarten
- 27th Griffin’s Tale theater group performance, K-4
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
- Link to community events: http://www.wilmette39.org/news/community_events/
FREE Adult English Language Classes will be offered at Highcrest Middle School for 5 weeks; April 5-May 3rd.-see attached flyer
Wilmette Public Library’s "One Book, Everybody Reads" featuring Amor Towles discussing his best-selling novel A Gentleman in Moscow at WJHS Auditorium April 22nd at 3:00 pm
Check out The School of the Art Institute Summer Art Camp options for kids (and families) ages 4-18 (see attached flyer)
Little Legends Soccer Academy offers soccer training for boys & girls ages 2-8.
Wilmette Baseball Spring House League registration is open.
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
Regina Dominican offers a Spring Basketball Clinic March 24th for 4th - 7th graders.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org