DOLPHIN DIGEST 9/04/20
Community Newsletter for Arleta School
Traducción disponible Vaya al final del boletín y haga clic en el botón de traducción.
Dịch có sẵn Chuyển xuống cuối bản tin và nhấp vào nút dịch.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- Sept. 7: Labor Day - NO SCHOOL
- Sept. 8: First Day of School for Kindergarten
- Sept. 8: PTA Meeting 6-7:30pm via Zoom (see below)
- Sept 15: Dine-Out at Atlas Pizza 4-10pm
- Sept. 18: Dutch Bros Bucks for Kids Day
WELCOME TO ARLETA!
We’re so glad to have you as part of our school community!
This is a weekly newsletter sent in partnership between school administration and the PTA with information about events, school news and updates. Please scroll down for the latest.
- How attendance will be counted
- Technology support
- Meals are now FREE for all students, and can be picked up at Arleta
FREE BREAKFAST/LUNCH FOR STUDENTS THROUGH NOV. 5
The Nutrition Services department is serving meals will offer seven days’ worth of meals every week for not just PPS students, but all Portland children ages 1-18. Food will be distributed at Arleta, and 37 other school sites from 3 to 5 p.m. on Mondays & Wednesday. Get more information here: https://www.pps.net/Page/15846. Urban Gleaners is also distributing food from 12-2pm on Tuesdays at Mt. Scott and Thursdays at Lent through October. http://urbangleaners.org/need-food/
The David Douglas, Parkrose and Roosevelt Student Health Center is open during Fall for health care needs. Phone, video, and in-person appointments are available to all Multnomah County youth ages 5-18. Check out this flyer for services and to call for an appointment - https://www.pps.net/cms/lib/OR01913224/Centricity/Domain/4/StudentHealth-English.pdf. Translation services are also available.
WELCOME ARLETA TEACHERS & STAFF
Here's to a great year navigating new learning experiences together!
Arleta PTA & Families
MESSAGE FROM THE PTA BOARD
Welcome to the 2020/2021 school year, likely the most bizarre start to school any of us will ever experience! Covid-19 threw us all a curve ball, which presents a challenge and an opportunity. We’ll be going through something unprecedented collectively, and we can also come together to support each other.
One of the ways we plan to support our community and encourage support of one another, is to pledge our commitment to inclusivity and being an anti-racist organization. We want the Arleta PTA and its Board to reflect the diversity of our students, families, teachers and staff. We want to work to make sure everyone feels welcome, make sure everyone has a voice, and make sure we amplify BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) voices that have traditionally been silenced. Here is our commitment to our community for the 2020/21 school year -
• Actively invite BIPOC families, teachers and staff to join the PTA and to join our board
• Seek out ideas and feedback from our BIPOC families, teachers and staff
• Celebrate and learn about the different cultures represented at Arleta
By supporting our BIPOC families, teachers and staff we will be lifting up our entire community. We hope you will join us in this effort so we can listen, learn and make positive change together. Become a member today! http://www.arletapta.org/ways-to-help---join.html
Read the full PTA welcome letter and learn more about the PTA here: - http://nebula.wsimg.com/565dea7904210446548a66516014e2ef?AccessKeyId=3CA665702B1293E85502&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
ATTEND THE FIRST PTA MEETING ON SEPTEMBER 8TH
The Arleta PTA will be hosting the first meeting of the school year on Sept 8th at 6pm via Zoom. We'd love to connect with your virtually! See the link below. Agenda will include:
- Introductions with the PTA board and YOU
- Share information from the Inclusion Committee, Garden Committee + others
- Hear about the upcoming budget process and an invitation to join
- Hear from Principal Horn with time for Q&A
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 818 0267 8514
Call in option: 253-215-8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 818 0267 8514
FROM THE PTA INCLUSION COMMITTEE
If we bring our superpowers together, imagine the amazing things we can accomplish in support of our students! That is the hope for the PTA! The PTA Inclusion Committee will be actively working this year to listen and make changes to ensure that all our families feel welcome as part of the school community and in joining the PTA to collectively combine our superpowers.
Art contributed by Paula Kuka, @common_wild
COMING SOON: AN INCLUSIVITY SURVEY FOR FAMILIES
Please look for a survey to be sent out in the next few weeks seeking your input and ideas. Thank you in advance for taking the time to complete the survey!
ARLETA ONLINE SPIRIT WEAR STORE IS OPEN!
Arleta School now has an online spirit wear store! Shop for your Arleta logo wear 24/7 and have your items shipped to your home. We have t-shirts, hoodies, tanks, mugs and more, with other options coming soon! Check out the new store here: https://arletaschool.threadless.com/
DINE OUT AT ATLAS PIZZA (9/15)
DUTCH BROS SUPPORTS ARLETA ON BUCK FOR KIDS DAY (9/18)
PTA IS COLLECTING CANS & BOTTLES
AMAZON WISH LIST FOR TEACHERS & STAFF
Throughout the school year, supplies are consumed and new needs arise. That’s why Arleta now has an Amazon Wish List of items added by teachers and staff. Please consider adding an item or two when you do your regular Amazon shopping. And when you use Amazon Smile and link your Amazon account to Arleta School PTA, Amazon will also donate 0.5% of your total purchase (at no additional cost to you)! Questions – email ArletaSchoolPTA@gmail.com
Link to Wish List is: https://smile.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3S713LRBVHEI6
And instructions can be found here: http://www.arletapta.org/ways-to-help---join.html
NO COST WAYS TO SUPPORT ARLETA
The Arleta PTA participates in THREE no-cost shopping rewards programs - Fred Meyer Community Rewards, AmazonSmile and Bottle Drop.
1. By linking your Fred Meyer Rewards card to the Arleta PTA and scanning your rewards card when you shop, a percentage of your purchase goes to the PTA. Sign up here. (And you'll still get your cash back rewards!)
2. Amazon has a similar program, called AmazonSmile. Select "Arleta School PTA" as your charitable organization to receive donations when you shop Amazon. Once you sign up, just go to smile.amazon.com to do your usual Amazon shopping. While there is no app, you can create a shortcut on your phone by going to smile.amazon.com in your browser, tap the Share button, then tap Add to Homescreen.
3. Donate your redeemable cans and bottles to Arleta through Bottle Drop. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request some blue bags. (Arleta pays a fee for the bags, so let's fill them to the top!)