Denton Dolphin News
May 1, 2022
A Busy Month Ahead!
Dear Dolphin Families,
Happy May! I hope this finds you well as we move into the last full month of school. Please take a few minutes to make note of the calendar of events so you will know what is happening at DES.
• Please remember to submit all parent notes for a child's absence within 10 days. We cannot accept notes that are sent to the office after ten days of the absence.
• Have a question about what is being taught? Go to the DES webpage to see each grade level newsletter and the content being taught this month.
• Interims for Q4 will be sent on May 17.
• On May 10, all DES parents are invited to participate in the monthly PTA meeting and to discuss Title I funding for the coming 2023 school year. We will be gathering information about what parent and family engagement activities the school and PTA should plan; the Title I budget and targets for 2023 will also be discussed.
• Friday, May 27 is an early dismissal day with Monday, May 30 as off for Memorial Day.
• May 1-7: Teacher Appreciation Week
• May 4 - 5: Grade 3 MCAP Math Assessment
• May 4: Star Wars Day
• May 5: PreK/K registration Day (Appointment Required)
• May 6 and 9: Grade 4 MCAP Math Assessment
• May 10: PTA meeting @ 6:00 PM
• May 11-12: Grade 5 MCAP Math Assessment
• May 17: Interims Home
• May 18: 5th Grade Parent Night @ 6:00 PM
• May 26: Field Day
• May 27: Early Dismissal for Memorial Day
• May 30: No School
• June 2: Career Day in the AM
• June 3: Field Day Raind Date
• June 16: Last Day of School
Wishing you well,
Susan R. McCandless
Proud Principal of Denton Elementary School
PreK Parents: Please Note!
There are a few days that are special for our PreK students and families.
• Thursday, May 5: No PreK this day. PreK registration day for RES and DES. Appointment required.
• May 12 and 13: No PreK students. Parent Conference Day. Please contact your child's teacher to set a conference time.
As always, reach out with any questions.
Raising a Reader Expands
Kindergarten students will soon be receiving a Raising A Reader bag each week filled with great books to take home and share with their families. Families should spend the week enjoying the books and reading with their kindergartener. Your child’s teacher will designate a day for the bag to be returned to class. On that day, the bag will be filled with a new supply of books for your child to once again bring home and share.
The Raising a Reader Program has been a big hit with Pre-K students, and we are happy to be able to offer it to our kindergarteners too. Enjoy taking time to relax and read good books together!
Denton Elementary has used Title I funds to provide Raising a Reader bags for all PreK, Kindergarten and first graders for the summer of 2022. Watch for more information shortly.
May is Mental Health Month
Children's Mental Health Awareness Week is May 1-7, 2022! Visit www.ChildrensMentalHealthMatters.org for free resources to support children and families!
If you have any questions or need support with mental health, please reach out to Mrs. Gorusch and Mrs. Gunderson, DES School Counselors.
Denton Elementary School is a Title I School
The Denton Elementary School Family will promote our core values of S.W.I.M. by supporting a challenging curriculum, honoring individuality, and working collaboratively.
S: Stay Safe
W: Work Hard
I: Include Others
M: Make Responsible Choices