Ms Greenlee's Class
2G at American School of Doha
Dates to Remember:
October 18 Let’s Do Math Workshop Parents Grade 2 October
October 21/22 Parent/Teacher Confer. 3:40-7:20, 7:40-12:00
October 27 Full Day Tuesday – Thursday Schedule
October 27 Halloween Classroom Party - 40 minutes
October 27 Halloween Carnival - Tuesday, October 27th we will be hosting the Halloween Carnival. In preparation for this event, we will be dismissing on the elementary grass field (we are referring to the large grass elementary soccer field near the blue basketball courts) as we will be setting up in the cafeteria. Thank you for your understanding.
October 28 Professional Development Day For Teachers – No School for Students
October 29 Day Off!!
Brief Subject Updates -- Click on buttons below to open parent letters for each subject
Math: We have started our unit on Numbers up to 1000. This unit is meant to really solidify students number sense leading up to adding three digit numbers. We have counted up by different units and represented numbers in various ways. Parents, please look for the blue letter detailing all the strategies that will be presented during this unit. It should have gone home on Thursday.
Reading: This week students learned about using punctuation found in the middle of sentences. They also continue to meet in small groups for guided reading and individually during conferences. Some students used their books during writing to help while writing book reviews.
Writing: Students were learning about the parts of a book review. Students learned about eh different ways they could ‘hook’ a reader and then they tried writing hooks for their own book reviews. Some classes wrote a review together during shared writing. This is students first opportunity this year to do some opinion writing. It’s really interesting learning about students’ opinions!
- Science: While continuing to study about the plant life cycle, students planted three kinds of bean seeds in class. They also dissected a seed to learn about its parts. In the coming weeks, we’ll study all stages of the plant life cycle and make observations.
- Health: Remember to send healthy snacks.
Swimming Unit Reminder
, and will go for 3 weeks finishing on November 5th. There will be another 5-week unit later in the year.
This is part of the Physical Education program; therefore your child will be swimming on their scheduled Physical Education days during their regular P.E. class.
Students need to have the following equipment:
• STUDENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR FLIP-FLOPS OR CROCS TO SCHOOL.
• Swimming suit (girls-one piece)
• Swim cap – mandatory for all elementary school students. These may be purchased from most sports stores or from the Booster Club. If students forget their cap they will be expected to wear one provided by the school.
• Plastic bag for wet gear
• Goggles (optional)- We do not have goggles for students to use.
Children who forget their swimwear will be required to use a school set. This is so they can still participate. The school suits and towels are washed and dried after use. Children should continue to wear their Physical Education uniform on PE days during the swim unit.
Please ensure their T-shirts and shorts are labeled with names or initials.
The aim of the Elementary Aquatics Program is to give all students the opportunity to learn and/or build on skills and knowledge in the following areas:
• Water confidence
If you have any questions or concerns, or you are interested in helping with your child’s swimming lessons, please email Mr Van at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year our SPOOKTACULAR Halloween Carnival will be held at ASD onTuesday October 27th from 5:30-7:30pm. All students Pre-K - Grade 5 are invited to attend. We need parent volunteers! If you interested in helping please fill out the form sent home with your child or email@example.com
Tickets will be sold BEFORE the carnival. Ticket forms will be sent homeThursday October 15th. This event is for ASD students and their families ONLY.
The annual Pumpkin Patch will be held in the Administration Foyer fromSunday, October 25th - Tuesday, October 27th from 7:30am-3:30pm. This is a cash ONLY event that everyone really enjoys and is a great opportunity to do some Halloween shopping. Items include fun gadgets, yummy treats, pumpkins and decorations.
Information From Our Nurses
There are students in your child’s class who have nut allergies. A child with nut allergy can develop mild or severe reactions if they come in contact with the said allergen. Please take note of the following measures:
· Please be considerate of your child’s classmates when sending in snacks (if possible, to avoid sending any nuts or nut products)
· Children should be encouraged to wash their hands before and after lunch, prior to returning to the classroom to avoid any cross-contamination.
· For any special occasions, please be reminded that any food brought in to the class should be nut free.