The Lion's Roar
Gloucester High School - Newsletter- December 4, 2017
Partnership. Performance. Pride
Our aim with this weekly newsletter is to continue to find ways to increase and enhance communications amongst school community members to support all students on their paths towards self-actualization. Please help spread the word about this newsletter with Lions everywhere. They can sign up by clicking on the orange "Follow Sean Gorman" links at the beginning and end of the newsletter.
Excitement levels continued to rise throughout this week as all of our winter athletic teams are now practicing for their fast-approaching seasons and auditions were held for this year's musical, Disney's The Little Mermaid. Officer Ziegler and other GCPD members presented the "#NotEvenONce" program to the first classes of Junior Health this week. This powerful program focuses on opiate awareness and providing information to students about making informed decisions while building positive relationships between students and the police.
The week ahead is certain to bring its own enthusiasm. After 15 Seniors participated in an "Instant Decision" Rutgers University admissions program at GHS two weeks ago, we will welcome Rowan University admissions representatives to our campus on Thursday for a similar event. Any boys interested in applying to participate in our re-establishment of the highly-popular "Mr. GHS" contest (scheduled for April) will meet to begin the process on Monday. A representative from Josten's will present to Juniors interested in purchasing class rings on Thursday. Finally, this is the 2nd year that we will proudly welcome students and staff from Cold Springs School to GHS to participate together in the "Hour of Code" global movement developed to demystify coding and broaden the field of computer science.
On the heels of Thanksgiving, know that all of us at GHS are infinitely thankful to work with you and your children throughout such a special time in your lives. Keep an eye out for mutiple Lions student groups, including our Band, Color Guard, and Dance & Cheerleading Teams, as they participate in Thursday night's Gloucester City Christmas Parade up Monmouth Street.
The Week Ahead
- December 4th - Mr. GHS Interest Meeting for Boys
- December 6th- Rowan University Instant Decision Day at GHS
- December 7th- Junior Class Ring "Information Session"
- December 7th - P & B Cosmetology School Representatives come to GHS
- December 7th- Gloucester City Christmas Parade-6:30 P.M.
- December 9th- ACT Administration
College & Career Readiness:
- Our annual Rutgers University "Instant Decision Day" at GHS also took place two weeks ago. Five seniors were granted acceptance "on the spot" with ten more advancing further down the road to admission! We are looking forward to welcoming Rowan University admissions reps to GHS on Thursday.
- A representative from P & B Cosmetology (located on King Street in Gloucester City) will present to students interested in learning more about their programs (barbering, cosmetology, nail design, skin care, and make-up) on Thursday during student lunches. A number of recent graduates are currently enrolled there.
- This Sunday, our Leo Club will once again participate with the Gloucester City Lion's Club in the "Bestworks Industry for the Blind" holiday program. Our students will assist visually impaired children with their holiday shoping at a local Target.
- Our annual "Restock the Shelves" efforts led to nearly four bins full of non-perishable items collected by the Gloucester High and Gloucester Catholic High School Student Councils to donate to the local food bank.
- Work is already underway for the annual Gloucester City "Giving Tree" program coordinated by GHS. This program is already set to sponsor over 200 students with holiday gifts.
Members collecting for the Food Pantry
Students making tags for the Giving Tree
Students raised $1200 for family of the Puerto Rico hurricane.
- December 12th - Junior Class Ring Orders Taken During Lunches
- December 14th- Holiday Concert
- December 15th- Winter Sports Pep Rally
- December 15th- 2nd Marking Period Progress Reports
December 18th -First College Acceptance Celebration Lunches of School Year
December 18th - 20th - Junior Class Secret Santa-Gram Sales
December 19th & 20th - Junior Class Pictures with Santa During Lunch Periods
December 21st - First Day of Winter
December 22nd - Early Dismissal for Students & Staff
December 22nd - Cragge Bowl
December 22nd - Mr. GHS candidates announced
December 25th - January 1st - Winter Break
Photo of the Week:
Tuesday, December 5th-
- Girls JV Basketball vs. Audubon-4:00 p.m.
- Varsity Girls Basketball vs. Audubon- 4:00 p.m.
- Boys JV Basketball vs. Woodbury-4:00 p.m.
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs. Woodbury-4:00 p.m.
School Store: Official Source for all Lions Gear
Lion's Roar Student Newspaper
MMS Parent Grade Portal
Nutri-Serve Parent Cafeteria Portal
Gloucester High School
Gloucester, NJ 08030
(856) 456-7000 ext: 1513