Monett R-1 Board of Education
August 17, 2023 Board Meeting Re-cap
Opening of Meeting
Jared Wormington, Annie Smith, and Ashley Bailey.
Tax Rate Hearing
- Todd McCrackin with L. J. Hart gave a presentation regarding 2023/2024 the proposed tax rate.
The floor was opened for any questions / comments.
Following discussion, the board unanimously approved the proposed 2023/2024 tax rates
The Board had no objections to approving the consent agenda as presented:
a. Approve minutes
b. Pay bills
c. Approve 2023/2024 SRTC Sending School Contracts
d. Approve 2023/2024 GO CAPS Contracts
e. Approve Local Compliance Plan Certification Statement
f. Approve Monett Historical Society and GO CAPS MOU
g. Approve Classified Staff changes
Update on Facilities by Steve Garner, Director of Operations included :
- Bids are being received for lights at the Cleveland crossing
- New carpet has been installed in all of the libraries.
- Wrap-up is nearing completion on the MMS punch list.
- Central Office - Renovation of old MMS building is still set to begin mid September
Update on Curriculum by Dr. Melissa Huff, Assistant Superintendent included:
- New Teacher Training Days
- Mentor Training held recently
- Recap of All Staff 'Welcome Back' Meeting
The board approved the Month of July Program Evaluations / Reports including:
i. Safety and Security Plan (CSIP Goal 5)
ii. Health Services (CSIP Goal 7)
Update on the 21st Century After School Grant was given by Dr. Drake reporting that the district will be applying for the new grant that expires next summer.
The Board unanimously approved the new Student Representative Board Policy: Policy JFB
Dr. Drake updated the board on this new student involvement, stating that a new student rep will be
present at the September or October meeting
The board unanimously approved:
- The ASBR (Annual Secretary of the Board Report)
- The Education Governance Leadership Association (EGL) Service Agreement for services to be rendered to the Board including a Board Self Evaluation process and Professional Development Plan.
MSBA Policy 2023C Update - The board will review for thirty days and approve at the September board meeting.
The Board appointed Kristin Umfleet as the new Board Treasurer due to the vacancy created by Tracy Wimberley's retirement the end of August.
Important Upcoming Dates
- August 22 - First Day of School
- September 21 - Monthly Board Meeting
- October 3 - MSBA Region 9 Meeting
- October 14 - Board of Education Facility Walk-through
- October 19 - Monthly Board Meeting
- November 3-4 - MSBA Fall Conference
The Board unanimously approved to offer 2023/2024 contracts to:
i. Amber Hill, MES Special Education Resource Teacher
ii. Kenneth Carney, MHS part-time Credit Recovery Teacher
iii. Deb Hamilton, MIS / MMS Part-time Counselor