Your ticket to the happenings at the BEST Greene School
January 31, 2020
Words of Inspiration
“Balancing goals with inner peace is hard to achieve, but worth pursuing.”
A Special Applause to...
PD on the Fly...
A special shout out to Bru for sharing this article. Our PBIS Committee has done great work to develop a framework for consistent implementation of promoting positive behavior. In this week's article, the author, Sandee LeMotte, talks about what research says about the effects. It's a short one (and a good one) and I don't want to pull out any of the spoilers this week. Enjoy!
Information for the Staff
As you may have heard on announcements, next week is Spirit Week! If you participate in the daily theme, feel free to also wear jeans. I hope to see you at the Carnival!
- Monday - Wear your team color
- Tuesday - Mismatch Day
- Wednesday - Crazy Hair Day
- Thursday - Rep your college
- Friday - Aves Spirit wear
Dress Code Clarification
If you have ever read our dress code, you know it is vague. If you haven't, it's in the Student Handbook on page 18. Students are not permitted to wear hats or hoods. This week we had a student who wore a do-rag. The dress code does not address whether students are or are not able to wear these. As we work to consistently enforce the dress code, when issues like this come up, you should start with the strength of this staff, relationships. Talk to the student to figure out why they want to wear this or something similar. If it's a situation like the one with the student this week, it's OK for the short term. This student felt insecure about their hair. It was a short term problem. Allowing them to wear it will make them feel safer and more comfortable in your classroom. If you're unsure, ask.
CPI Follow Up
I met with our CPI trainer, Tamera this week to develop a plan to complete the training. There will two additional trainings for staff who need verbal de-escalation and one for staff who need safe holds. The verbal de-escalation training will be on February 14 at 7:20 and March 2 at 7:30 (this one is only 20 min), both in the cafe. The safe holds training will be on February 11 at 7:20 in the cafe. The trainings are on the building calendar and you can check to see which group you are in by clicking HERE. If you have missed a training, Tamera will be reaching out to let you know when the make up will be.
Staff Concerns Meeting Follow Up
Thank you to Rona, Katy, Carol, Tim, Savannah, Misty, Eric, and Jessie for attending the staff concerns meeting. Your input is invaluable as we look to improve our processes. At this meeting, we discussed students being tardy to class. Beginning on Monday, we will implement the ideas from this group. When students are tardy to class, they will need to sign in on THIS FORM (a hard copy is also in your mailbox). Use this to track students late to class and contact parents as needed. Below are the ideas we developed to help curb this problem.
- Teachers need to wait until the bell rings after announcements and then send students to specials (this includes students who go to Intervention/ESL/Special Ed during Flex)
- If you hold a student late, send them with a pass. Students who are late without a pass will need to sign the tardy log
- Be aware of the time. Students should not be sent too early or too late. Currently students are being sent up to eight minutes early and ten minutes late.
- Use the time on your classroom phone or computer. Consider setting alarms on your computer to notify you of the time class ends.
- You need to be in the hall during class changes.
- Homeroom teachers need to walk their students to the first specials bell.
- During lunch, walk your class all the way to the cafeteria, gym, or doors to the playground.
- If you see students misbehaving in the hall, say something to them. They are all our students.
Staff Donation for Carnival Staff gift Card Basket
Our annual Carnival is coming up soon (Saturday, February 8) and every year we ask staff to donate a gift card to the Staff Gift Card Raffle Basket. If you can donate a gift card, please put it in Beth Bruck's mailbox.
Carnival Room Usage
For the Week of February 3, 2020
February 3 - Monday (A) day
- E.A Professional Development - 7:30 - 8:00 am - Media Center
- Kidz Home Alone class starts - 3:00 - 5:00 pm - MPR
February 4 - Tuesday (B) day
- BLT Meeting - 7:20 - 8:00 am - Office Conference Room
- Gifted Training - 7:20 - 8:00 am - MPR
- FT - Gray Team - to Ron Hamilton Photography/SCPA - 10:00 - 2:00 pm
- Grief Group 8:25-9:07 am - Rm 70
- Homeroom Class Photos - 8:25 - 2:45 pm - during FLEX time (refer to schedule)
- Better Babysitters class starts - 3:00 - 5:30 pm - MPR
February 6 - Thursday (D) day
- CML Contest - 8:00 - 10:15 am : Gray/Purple - 8:22 - 9:07; Blue/White - 9:09-9:54 am
- FT - Purple team to Freedom Center - 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
February 7 - Friday (A) day
- First Friday
- Carnival Assembly 1:30 pm - New Gym - students will go to the assembly with the class they are in. We will call classrooms at about 1:20 pm. After the assembly, students will return to their classroom, gather their things, and proceed to their last bell class.
- Interim Reports distributed
Coming Up Soon...
Saturday, February 8 - CARNIVAL - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Monday, February 10 - Soup Cook-off!!! - 11:00 - 12:30 - Staff Lounge - be sure to sign up!
Are you an early planner? Here is the building calendar. You can view events more than a week at a time.
Announce to Students
- Greene Machine - 3:00 -4:00 pm - Room 66 (choir)
- Media Club - 3:00 pm - TV studio
Tuesday, February 4 - B Day
- Chess Club - 3:00 pm - Media Center
- Start of Winter Art Club - 3:00 - 3:50 pm - Ms. Combs' art room
- Aviator Volleyball Academy - 3:15 - 4:30 pm - Old Gym
Wednesday, February 5 - C Day
- Homeroom class photos - 8:25 - 2:45 pm
- Start of Girls' Basketball - 3:00 - 3:50 pm - New Gym
- Media Club - 3:00 pm - TV Studio
- Yu-Gi-Oh Card Club - 3:15 pm - Room 24
Thursday, February 6 - D Day
- Greene Machine - 3:00 - 4:30 pm - Room 66- Choir room
- Aviator Volleyball Academy (last day) - 3:15 - 4:30 pm - Old Gym
- Girls' Basketball - 3:00 - 3:50 pm - New Gym
- Art Club - 3:00 - 3:50 pm - Ms. Combs' art room
Friday, February 7 - A Day
- Carnival Assembly 1:30 pm - New Gym
- CARNIVAL tomorrow (Saturday, February 8) - 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Jennifer Steelman - February 1
Jonathan McGranahan - February 5
Corey Bogdan - February 11
Jill Pihl - February 25
McCristy Gould - February 26