Eagan High School Newsletter
August 24, 2020
Welcome Back Wildcats!
The entire faculty and staff of Eagan High School welcomes you to the 2020-2021 school year!
I am excited to welcome you personally as well. We will begin this school year in a very unique way with accommodations and protocols that are new to all of us. Please know that our intention and purpose will continue to be providing the very best educational program and instruction for our students. We may be using different methods and pathways for our student support and instruction, but the positive learning environment will be paramount.
We are all facing a difficult and challenging time. Students, parents, families, faculty and staff are all concerned with having a safe learning environment for everyone. Together we must all fully commit to safety protocols including monitoring health each day at home. I know that together our students, faculty and staff will be dedicated to maintaining the necessary, important protocols in order to continue in the hybrid model. In addition, we continue to focus on building relationships with our students both in person and through virtual, Zoom times.
As we return to school we must acknowledge how difficult the past six months have been for all of us. The changes in our lives, our behaviors, our health protocols and our culture and society have been profound. The support needed by our students will continue to be important. Our teachers and staff will be responsive to those needs and recognize the need to be connected and listening.
We have an amazing faculty and staff at Eagan HS. Over the summer they have worked together to prepare to support our students through flexible digital learning platforms and,
when possible, in person instruction and support. After the distance learning last spring, we have examined, studied and improved our planned use of the teaching and learning programming. In addition, we have listened, discussed, read and planned in response to our need to reach all learners in our school and address race, gender, inclusivity, equity issues.
We are here for you and your family. Please reach out to a teacher, PAWS advisor, counselor or administrator as all of us are willing and ready to help. Let us know if there is information you need or an accommodation that must be addressed.
Be sure to click and open the link below this greeting for Hybrid and Digital Academy Student Schedules- it will provide info you may be looking for now!
Eagan High School has received recognition from many publications and reviews. We work to provide a community, a family as we provide the best educational experience for our students. Thank you for trusting all of us with your students!
Stay well – and take good care of those around you!
Polly Reikowski, Principal
Important Dates for ALL Students
Whether your student is enrolled in the Digital Academy or Hybrid Learning the following dates are important for you and your student:
· Tuesday, September 8 – All Digital Academy students, grades 9 -12, will have an assigned time, by alpha and grade level to come into Eagan HS to get school photos (grades 9, 10 and 11) and check out textbooks.
· Wednesday, September 9 – Grade 9, Cohort A students and LINK Crew leaders will have and orientation program, photos, textbook checkout, and meet with teachers in classrooms from 8 AM – Noon. More details to come soon!
· Wednesday, September 9 – Grade 10, Cohort A and B students will have an assigned time to come into Eagan HS to get school photos and textbooks from 10:30 AM – 3:15 PM.
· Thursday, September 10 – Grade 9, Cohort B students and LINK Crew leaders will have and orientation program, photos, textbook checkout, and meet with teachers in classrooms from 8 AM – Noon. More details to come soon!
· Thursday, September 10 – Grade 11, Cohort A and B students will have an assigned time to come into Eagan HS to get school photos and textbooks from 10:30 AM – 3:15 PM.
· Friday, September 11 – Grade 12, Cohort A and B students will come in to Eagan HS to get textbooks at assigned times from 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM.
Check the EHS website for further details by September 3rd. All students, staff and faculty will be social distancing and wearing masks. Please note that we are separating the Digital Academy students from those in Hybrid Learning for these days/times.
Before and After School – New Scheduled Times!
· The building will be open at 7:30am. The school day ends at 1:40 pm and students must leave the building at that time (unless they are rostered in a cocurricular activity scheduled for that day). Please plan your transportation to and from Eagan to allow for these times. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, teachers are required to do virtual meetings with the Digital Academy students until 3 PM and are therefore not available to meet in person with students after 1:40 pm.
· When students enter the building they will have two options; either to eat breakfast in the Commons, or go directly to their first classroom scheduled for the day.
· Students participating in cocurricular athletic and other activities that are led by an adult Eagan HS program leader, and are on the program’s roster, will be allowed to remain in the building on in-person learning days, if needed, between 1:40 pm (end of school day) and 3:30 pm (start of practice). Students will be required to stay in a supervised location, with social distancing and masks.
· For students in our District 196 Digital Academy, or for cohort A or B students at home during their distance learning days, the building will open at 3:00pm to arrive for cocurricular activities.
Health and Safety
Our school nurse Is Nicole Palmer, RN, BSN, LSN, PHN. She holds certifications as a registered nurse, school nurse, and public health nurse in addition to her Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. Nurse Palmer is working closely with our district health services and is helping us coordinate our health plan at Eagan. We are fortunate to have her expertise and experience here at Eagan. Her contacts are email@example.com and 651-683-6915.
· We will be diligent in providing a safe environment for our students, faculty and staff.
· Everyone has a responsibility in achieving a school that is safe.
· The face covering policy and physical distancing (6 feet) protocol will be strictly enforced.
· Every student will receive 1 cloth face mask. We will also have disposable masks available for students.
· Students will walk in a single file line (right side/left side of hallways).
· Lockers will not be assigned to students to prevent congregation.
· When students arrive to school in the morning, they will either eat breakfast (distanced in Student Commons) or go directly to their first class for the day. At the end of the day, students will leave the building unless they are waiting for a practice or activity that will begin at 3:15 pm.
· Students and teachers will disinfect their surfaces at the beginning of each period.
Parent/Guardians at Eagan HS
· To ensure and protect the health and safety of our students and faculty/staff, parents & guardians will visit Eagan by appointment only. We will do what we can to accommodate meetings through Zoom call.
· Parents & Guardians may continue to drop off items for students during the school day at our security office at our student entrance (door #1). Please limit this practice as much as possible.
Let's commit to each other to:
· Be Aware and Monitor our health each day (see link below for a symptoms checklist)
· Wash our hands properly.
· Maintain six feet of physical distance.
· Wear masks/face coverings.
· Show care for our community.
1. I am not exhibiting any of the following symptoms associated with COVID-19 (see image below)
2. I have not been in close contact with anyone within the last 14 days who has been quarantined or isolated due to COVID-19.
3. I have not been advised by any medical provider or health authority that I may have been exposed to COVID-19.
4. I have not traveled out of the country in the past 30 days, or been in close contact with anyone who has traveled out of the country in the past 30 days.
5. I understand that in the case that I am notified that I have been exposed to COVID-19 or start to exhibit any of the symptoms above, I will immediately notify Nurse Palmer.
Any student or faculty/staff member who is in close contact with another person who tests positive for COVID19 will be required to quarantine for 14 days and is encouraged to get a COVID19 test. The 14 day quarantine is required regardless of the outcome of their own test. Close contact is defined as being within 6 feet of the person testing positive (masked or not) for 15 minutes or more or living in the same household.
NOTE: Our plan at Eagan has been developed to reduce incidents of close contact.