The Cannon Connection
Staff Information & Updates 3/17/14
From The Principal's Pen...
Welcome back!! I hope everyone had a wonderful break and had time to enjoy having fun with family and friends during Spring Break!!
We have many exciting events, activities, and opportunities ahead for the rest of this busy spring! Enjoy your first week back with your scholars!! SMILE!! :)
LAST WEEK- A PHOTO REVIEW
STEM Museum Day @ Cannon
K-5 Cannon scholars enjoyed a variety of STEM-based activities at the STEM Museum @ Cannon last week!
Open House = Success!
Cannon had a record turnout for Open House and the choir concert this year! Huge thanks to Patrick for all of his hard work to prepare scholars for a beautiful performance. Great job to all Cannon teachers for making this year's Open House an overwhelming success!!
Read Around the World Day - with our sister STEM schools!
Many Cannon scholars enjoyed sharing their favorite STEM book with students from our "sister" STEM schools - Town Center Elementary in Coppell ISD & Stipes Elementary in Irving ISD on Read Around the World Day this year! Awesome job!!
STEM Museum Day @ Cannon
Open House = Success!
Dates to Remember
3/17 VALOR applications due to the district
3/17 Mr. Adams presents to 2nd grade - Water Cycle
3/17 EMT meeting - 3:00
3/18 1:1 Teacher Survey due by 4:00 pm (classroom/Specials teachers only)
3/18 STEM Leadership meeting- 3:00
3/21 End of 3rd nine weeks
3/21 Alief ISD tours Cannon's STEM program
3/21 PLC Week A - Kinder; 5th; 2nd
3/24 School Board Meeting 7:00 pm
3/25 Staff meeting - 3:00
3/28 PLC Week B 3rd;4th;1st
4/1 STAAR Math 5th; STAAR Writing -4th Day 1
4/2 STAAR Reading 5th; STAAR Writing -4th Day 2
4/3 PTA Family Movie Night w/ In & Out Burger
4/4 PLC Week A Kinder;5th;2nd
4/5 Science Safari - Dallas Aquarium
4/8 U.CAN 3:00
4/11 PLC Week B 3rd;4th;1st
4/12 GCISD Job Fair
4/15 CEC 3:15
4/18 PLC Week A- Kinder;5th;2nd
4/22 STAAR Math - 3rd & 4th grades
4/23 STAAR Reading - 3rd & 4th grades; STAAR Science - 5th grade
4/25 PLC Week B - 3rd; 4th;1st
4/29 STEM Leadership Team - 3:00
4/30 Lake Worth tours Cannon's 1:1 program
5/1 GCISD Employee Retirement Celebration - PDEC
5/2 PLC Week A - Kinder; 5th; 2nd
5/3 GCISD Rachel's Challenge Rally
Our Cannon App is Out!! Check it out!
Our Cannon school app is finally ready and available in the Apple Store! This app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Please use the link below to download our school app today! Please do NOT ask students to download the app onto their iPads until further notice. We will be sending home informational flyers to all Cannon parents during the next several days, to promote our school app and we will ask students to download the app at this time. All information that will be sent to parents will also be shared with teachers, so that it can be shared on classroom blogs, websites, and in newsletters.
Please know that this app continues to be a "work in progress". Please take a moment to download it and make note of any changes that need to be made. I went through the app today and spent several hours adding all teacher websites, emails, blogs, and social media links. We can continue to add and change content over time, so please make sure you share your comments and ideas with me, so that we can improve the app and make the most of it as a family engagement tool!
REMINDERS & UPDATES
- TEACHER APPLICATIONS FOR 2014-2015 VALOR TEAM DUE 3/17- The district is currently accepting applications from teachers across the district who have an interest in being part of this team for 2014-2015. The program was designed to provide a platform for a small group of innovative, growth-minded teachers to advance student achievement through academic study, self-reflection, and collaboration with other change leaders in the district. All applications are due by March 17th. Click here to access the Valor description & application
- CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER - Please take a moment to congratulate Elia Reyes when you see her....she and her children have some exciting news to share! They have all recently officially become U.S. citizens!! They have been working diligently towards this effort for many years and their hard work has paid off!! Congrats to Elia, Lalo, and Daniella! :)
- 1:1 iPad TEACHER SURVEY - All classroom & Specials teachers received a link through email to participate in the 1:1 iPad Teacher survey. Please make sure you have completed this survey by 4:00 pm on Tuesday, 3/18. The survey can be accessed at this link: 1:1 Teacher Survey
- MATH COLLABORATION MEETINGS - Just a reminder that 3rd & 4th grade math collaboration meetings are scheduled on March 24th from 3:30-5:30 at the Alamo room at the admin. building. You can sign up in Eduphoria for this meeting now!
- BOOK FAIR = SUCCESS!- Thanks to all staff that helped support our Book Fair during Open House Week. Tina reported that over $6,200 was raised at this spring's fair - WOW!! Hats off to Tina for a great job organizing this year's event!
TWEETS FROM THE WEEK
No time to followtweets from staff this week? Check them out here! Great job tweeting about the great things going on at Cannon! Keep up the good work!
We will be investigating friction with an upcoming race car design challenge. We can use your help collecting the... http://fb.me/14bUJzYhR
We can't wait to see our rejuvenated scholars back at school tomorrow! Don't forget to begin sending in any items... http://fb.me/3luKwM7gG
In a canyon pic.twitter.com/l6bxDXFuor
I had a terrific time playing all the games @MsDianeNorwood scholars coded! Check them out for yourself on her blog!@cancubs
Here's the link for our second IBook! https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/file/d/0B2Ewpincac19bEJmdncyTGYwTHM/edit?usp=docslist_api … #proud #cancubs @Tonataylor
Learning more about time using Nearpod.
STEM museum was a success, the kids had lots of fun! Tomorrow is open house from 6-7pm with the 3, 4, & 5 grade... http://fb.me/6qBBoSDqt
Retweeted by The Land of Lollis
TO DO LIST
- Set a timer and turn in attendance by 9:45-10:15 daily.
- Complete the 1:1 iPad Teacher Survey by 3/18 - 4:00 pm
- Read over VALOR information apply if interested - deadline is Monday 3/17
- Download the Cannon app and share all feedback with Tona, so that updates can be made before the app is released to scholars and parents!
- Be prepared for our guest from Alief ISD to visit your classroom on Friday.
- Tweet throughout the week to share the great work going on @ Cannon!