OCTOBER 8, 2020
A kind person is friendly, helpful, and generous.
“The truest greatness lies in being kind, the truest wisdom in a happy mind.” - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
REMINDER: All Face-to-Face (in-person) students will return to school after the Thanksgiving Holidays. Virtual School will continue as well.
SCHOOL EMAIL ACCOUNT:
Students - Please check your school email account AT LEAST three times a day - in the morning, midday, and each evening. This is a crucial part of your connection to school.
OCTOBER 19TH LEARNING OPTION CHANGE FAQ:
1. All individuals on campus will be required to wear a face covering in all HCS.
2. Students will report to the halls upon arrival to school. Breakfast can be picked up if desired.
3. On October 19th, we will report to HR just as we did on August 20th/21st.
4. For ETA/Lunch
- Each grade level will eat as a grade level...no split.
- ALL students will report back to the hall after their class before lunch.
- We have three F2F academic teams at each grade level. 20-25 students per team will have lunch in the cafeteria each day...approximately 6-8 per HR. The cafeteria seats 98 with distancing of every other seat.
- Students going to the cafeteria will be dismissed in a staggered manner from each hall to the cafeteria. This brings the in-classroom lunch count to approximately 15-17 per classroom.
- Students will need to re-mask as soon as they're done eating.
- After eating, those in the classrooms can receive assistance from teachers as ETA (Extra Time and Assistance).
- Those who need to or decide to eat in the cafeteria will have free seating and be supervised by the admin.
5. PE will still not dress. No shared equipment use unless it that can be sanitized between uses.
VIRTUAL/BLENDED TO FACE-TO-FACE
1. Your new academic schedule will be emailed to you late next week.
2. We will have a Transition Night on October 15th, 5:00-6:00. Look for your invitation.
3. You can pay for your hall locker ($10) through myschoolfees.com or cash/check on Oct. 15th.
4. Supplies can be dropped off on Oct. 15th.
5. We will all report to HR on Oct. 19th to acclimate ourselves. There will be lots of adult support.
FACE-TO-FACE TO VIRTUAL/BLENDED
1. Your virtual math teacher will contact you by email prior to October 19th to give you details about your new academic team.
2. All virtual students are enrolled in math, language arts, science, social studies and PE as required courses.
3. The Blended option is available for Virtual students in Band, Choir, 8th grade Foreign Language, and Math Team 6, 7, 8. Please speak with your current classroom teachers, if interested.
If you have questions or concerns, we are here to listen and will always respond. You can email us directly or through firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Tamala R. Maddox, Prinicipal email@example.com
Mr. Justin Jones, 6th grade Asst. Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Donna Burke, 7th grade Asst. Principal email@example.com
Mr. Sean Colosimo, 8th grade Asst. Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Tamala R. Maddox
Contacting and Visiting Us
Our email@example.com email address will continue to be open if you have questions. Our website will be updated frequently with up-to-date information. We request that everyone entering the building wear a mask (of some form) to protect us all. If you need to go beyond the lobby area into the building, we will also need to take your temperature. Thank you for your patience.
NEWS FROM OUR COUNSELORS
Here is an informative article about anxiety in teens experienced during remote learning.
Red Ribbon Week will be celebrated this year from October 26th to October 30th! Please stay tuned for more information for both our in-person and virtual learners. We will have many fun and informative learning experiences regarding substance abuse prevention. We appreciate your support at home in teaching your children the significance of Red Ribbon Week and the importance of a life free of drugs and alcohol. For more information, please visit https://www.redribbon.org/
Mrs. Catherine Bruno - 6th grade Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. MaryAnn Grear - 7th grade Counselor email@example.com
Ms. Brennita Keith - 8th grade Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
The Crisis Center 205-323-7777 (24 hrs) TEXT 205-328-5465
Teen Link 205-328-LINK (5465) Kids Line 205-328-KIDS (5437) available 3-10pm
The Trevor Project 866-488-7346 Jeffco DHR 205-423-4900
Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233 Shelby Co DHR 205-669-3000
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800 273-TALK (8255) OR text TALK to 741741
PIRC (Psychiatric Intake Response Center) - 205-638-PIRC (7472)”
STUDENT MAKE-UP SCHOOL PICTURES - BRING YOUR SMILES!
MAKE-UP PICTURES - Tuesday, Nov. 10th
Face to Face Students - 8:30 - 12:00
Virtual Students - 12:30 - 3:00
Any student who is not satisfied with their September picture can take or retake.
GO BUCS - FAVORITE SPORT TEAM DAY!
HOOVER-SPAIN PARK 2020 SHOWDOWN FOOTBALL GAME
The Hoover Helps Hunger Challenge became a part of the HHS/SPHS game a few years back. It's a great cause!
Please help us get Hoover High School over the top! SPHS won last year!
Hoover Helps Hunger Challenge official website: https://hooverhelps.org/pages/hunger-challenge-2020
STUDENT LOCKER FEES
For your convenience, we have billed your student's account for the Locker fee, if you still owe it for your Face to Face student. When you log onto MySchoolFees, you will see the Locker Fee as an A/R Outstanding Balance if you have not paid it already. You can pay it there rather than having to look for the fee on various screens.
Please pay all of your outstanding balances for school fees as soon as possible. It will save money and time if we don't have to mail you a statement. Thank you!!
INFORMATION FROM OUR SCHOOL NURSE, MRS. SCHMITH
Parents, please remember, it is very important to call the health room if your child has been exposed to or is positive for Covid 19 as soon as this information is known. This will help determine if your child needs to stay at home and for how long and if anyone in their class will need to stay home from school as well. All information that is discussed and obtained will be kept confidential and not disclosed to anyone. (except Dr. Maddox, Mrs. Phillips, HCS lead nurse and Health Department (if necessary)) without your permission.
Please see link below for guidance when your child has to be home due to COVID.
You can contact the Nurse Schmith in the health room at 205-439-2230 or email at email@example.com
Thank you for allowing us to keep your child safe and healthy while at school.
PARENT HOME PORTAL INOW INFORMATION
ATTENDANCE - MRS. PHILLIPS
Attendance questions? Please email Mrs. Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (205) 439-2268
- For the first 4-week staggered schedule: Please make every effort to make appointments on the student's virtual days so valuable, in-person instruction is not missed.
- A parent/doctor note is still required within three (3) days of returning in order to excuse an absence or check-in/out and can be dropped in the excuse boxes in the main lobby or throughout the school.
- Anticipated absence forms need to be filled out entirely with parent and all teachers signatures, and turned into the 2nd floor office for approval at least three (3) days prior to the anticipated absence in order for it to be excused. Anticipated Absence Forms should include all consecutive school days within the requested time (including in-building and out-of-building days). Students can pick up the form in the 2nd floor office or download it off the Attendance page on the Bumpus website, have parents fill out and sign, and then have students bring it to school for the teachers to sign prior to turning back in to the 2nd floor office for approval.
DATES TO REMEMBER!
Oct. 14 - Wed. 7th & 8th gr. Football Play-offs @ Hewitt-Trussville 7 @ 5 pm; 8th @ 6:45 pm
Oct. 16 - Fri - End of 1st nine weeks
Oct. 17 - Sat - XC Metro @ Hewitt Trussville
Oct. 18 - Sat - Last day to order Spirit Shirts
Oct. 19 - Mon - Beginning of 2nd 9 wks
Oct. 19 & 20 - Mon & Tues - BBB Tryouts
Oct. 26 - Mon - Report cards go home
Calling all 7th & 8th graders! If you want to apply for the 20-21 Yearbook Staff, fill out the application on your counselor’s Google classroom or at https://tinyurl.com/2021YearbookStaff DEADLINE: OCTOBER 16 at 3:15 pm
You will want to remember this year! Order your yearbook on MySchoolFees! October 5- December 18: Price is $45; December 19-January 22: Price is $60
GIRLS MILLENNIAL CLUB
Please invite friends, and bring a snack and drink!
News from the Bumpus Physical Education Department
Bring PE to Your Family Week
More information to come via the Bulletin/Week at a Glance and Google Classroom.
PE Instagram : bumpus_bucs_p.e
CROSS COUNTRY - The Boys and Girls XC Teams compete in Helena this weekend (weather permitting). The team wraps up the season on Saturday, October 17th with the Metro Meet in Hewitt Trussville.
GIRLS GOLF - Any 7th and 8th Grade girls interested in playing golf, please email or call Coach Heard to get more information!!
Email - email@example.com Office Phone - 439-2258
BOYS GOLF - Boys interested in trying out for the 2021 Golf Team MUST SPEAK with Coach Doran in Room A122. Try-Outs will be held on the Robert Trent Jones Oxmoor Valley Short Course on the following dates: November 9th, 10th & 11th.
Athletes MUST have an up to date physical on file and loaded into Dragonfly prior to trying out.
7th and 8th Grade Boys Basketball tryouts will be Oct. 19-20 from 3:30 - 5:30 in the Competition gym. All students must have an AHSAA physical and Hoover consent form on file. Rides MUST be here on time for pickups. Any questions, please contact Coach Jeffries at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205- 439-2235.
WRESTLING - Due to the football game being rescheduled for Wednesday, our wrestling interest meeting will be scheduled for Thursday, October 8th at 5:30 PM in the cafeteria. We will be covering practice and meet schedules, necessary equipment, spirit pack, and this season's expectations.
The Whole ScoopThank you to The Whole Scoop for hosting our Spirit Night on Thursday, October 1st! We appreciate everyone that came out to support our awesome school!! It was a great night!!
Order your spirit shirt today!! THE DEADLINE TO ORDER IS OCTOBER 18TH. AS-AXL are $15 and 2XL-3XL are $17. The shirts are available for sale on MySchoolFees under student fees and public fees: https://secure4.myschoolfees.com
NOTE: We are working on filling T-shirt orders in the order they were received. We started with limited inventory and right now are out of M and XL. We will be able to fill all orders by the end of the month. We appreciate all of the support and response to this year's spirit T-shirt.
It’s not too late to make a direct donation! You can do this by going to MySchoolFees (MSF).
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING BUMPUS!!
Fax # - 205-439-2201 Email address - email@example.com
#stopthespread with these handy tips.
Follow these tips from the World Health Organization to keep yourself safe and help contain the spread of the virus.
1. Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
2. Avoid touching your face, eyes, mouth, and nose.
3. Avoid contact with people who are vulnerable. And if you can’t, wear a mask.
4. Cover your cough with the bend of your elbow.
5. Disinfect surfaces you regularly use.
6. If you feel unwell, stay at home and call your healthcare provider.
7. Only share information from trusted sources.