International Literacy Day
Tuesday, Sept 8
Books for Africa
Students may bring gently used books they are no longer using to donate to children in Africa. These books need to be younger than 15 years old and can be soft or hard cover. These books will be sent to Africa to children who do not have a school or library close by that they are able to read. Please stress to your students to bring children's books.
Books For Africa does NOT accept:
- Magazines or journals of any kind, including academic journals.
- Home decorating or wedding books.
- Ethnocentric books, such as the biography of Abraham Lincoln or the history of Ohio.
- Foreign language books except for French books. French novels and dictionaries are welcome.
- American history or civics.
- Music books for K–12.
- Murder mysteries or anything with “kill,” “die,” “murder,” etc. in the title.
Wall of Books
Students in each class will design and color a book cover of their favorite book. Each book cover will be on display to cover a wall in the school to make a Wall of Books. A copy of the book cover to use will be placed in each teacher's box to copy for their class.