Nuclear plant in Ames
By Adam Texeira
What is the good things of having a Nuclear power plant in Ames?
- Lower carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere in power generation.
- Low operating costs relatively.
- Large power-generating capacity able to meet industrial and city needs as opposed to low-power technologies like solar that might meet only local, residential, or office needs but cannot generate power for heavy manufacturing.
- Existing and future nuclear waste can be reduced through waste recycling and reprocessing.
What is the bad things of having a Nuclear power plant in Ames?
- High construction costs due to complex radiation containment systems and procedures.
- High subsidies needed for construction and operation, as well as loan guarantees.
- Subsidies and investment could be spent on other solutions such as renewable energy systems.
- High-known risks in an accident.
- Unknown risks.
- Long construction time.
- Target for terrorism as are all centralized power generation sources.
- Waivers are required to limit liability of companies in the event of an accident.
My thoughts about plant in Ames
I think its not a good idea because of the plant cost alot and it might harm a lot of people.