News from the Lancaster County School District, Dec. 2022
Lancaster County Community,
It's a busy time of year at the district and at home!
Safety and Transportation launched a winter drive this week. If you find yourself compelled to donate a new pair of gloves, socks or a hat you can hand them to your bus driver or drop them off at the district office. All donations will benefit students in need right here in Lancaster County.
The District is offering parent workshops for preschool parents, 4K registration for the 2022-2023 school year is underway, winners of the district holiday cards have been announced and much more. You can find information about all of these things and more in this month's community newsletter.
Wednesday, December 21 is an early dismissal day for students. Winter break officially begins Thursday, December 22. Students will return to begin second semester on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
We hope your family enjoys this time home together!
Dr. Jonathan Phipps
And the winners are...
Morgan Blackmon, 2nd grade, Buford Elementary
Manvi Tyagi, 7th grade, Indian Land Middle
Ciara Gray, 12th grade, Indian Land High
The student winners will receive printed copies of the 2022 LCSD holiday card displaying their art as a special gift!
Check out their masterpieces below!
Covid/Flu Test Site
Many health experts anticipate that this fall and winter could be a severe flu season. In addition, as the weather cools and new variants emerge, there is the possibility of increased exposure to COVID-19. To help keep our schools and community safe, we are offering students and staff free access to flu and COVID-19 testing.
How to get tested:
- Register on the portal at lsd.wcusa.com to obtain your unique QR code.
- Once your QR code is received, please bring your QR code to your testing location.
- Test results will be sent directly to the phone number and email address associated with your registration.
- Those without devices or internet access can register onsite.
Please click this link for more detailed instructions on how to register for testing: LCSD Covid/Flu Test Site Information
Testing site location:
Lancaster High Multipurpose Building
825 Roddey Drive
Testing site hours (beginning Monday, December 5):
Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays
LCSD Parent Workshops
Monday, December 12
Tuesday, December 13
For more information, contact LCSD Elementary Instruction at 803-416-8833.
Warming the Soul
Help us spread the word! Click HERE to view a shareable flyer.
For more information: Contact LCSD Safety & Transportation @ 803-416-8917.
The following LCSD schools have 4K programs:
- Buford Elementary
- Brooklyn Springs Elementary
- Clinton Elementary
- Erwin Elementary
- Heath Springs Elementary
- Kershaw Elementary
- McDonald Green Elementary
- North Elementary
- Southside Early Childhood Center
To REGISTER, bring a copy of the following to your local school:
- Photo I.D.
- Birth certificate (child must be 4 years old by September 1, 2023)
- Immunization Record
- 2 proofs of residency
- Proof of Income Eligibility (choose ONE of the following: Medicaid card, pay stub, W-2 form, tax return, OR verified Free and Reduced lunch form)
** All 5 of the above items must be provided to the school in order for your child to be screened for 4K.
For more information, contact Traci Shigley via email at Traci.Shigley@lcsd.k12.sc.us or 803-416-8833.
P-EBT cards for newly eligible students will be mailed out after December 15, 2022. Please allow a minimum of 15 business days, after the card's mailing, for card arrival.
If your student has already received the one-time 2021-2022 Summer K-12 P-EBT payment, no additional funds will be issued.
If you have questions, please contact DSS at 1-800-554-5268 or email email@example.com.
Click this link to subscribe and you will receive a monthly newsletter and the school menu of your choice: Menu Emails
American Legion Teacher of the Year
LCSD Hall of Fame
The criteria for selection:
- Nominees may be a former teacher, administrator, Board member or community member (civic leader, politician or friend of education).
- A deceased person can be nominated/selected.
- No more than two inductees are allowed each year.
- Inductees from the teacher, administrator or Board member categories must have completed their educational careers in Lancaster County and cannot be inducted into the Hall of Fame until the year after their service ended.
- Nominees not selected will be left in the nominee pool for two years.
- Nominations are accepted from students, educators and the community at- large.
Timeline for Selection:
- Deadline for nominations is Friday, February 3.
- Selection committee meets before April 14 to select inductees
To submit a Hall of Fame nomination, you can choose from one of two options:
- Online Hall of Fame Nomination Form
- Print and fill out this nomination form (hard copies may be picked up at the District office) and mail it to:
Hall of Fame
Lancaster County School District
300 South Catawba Street
Lancaster, SC 29720
We See You!
You are doing an amazing job teaching these students the ins and outs of the cosmetology field. Your patience and attention to detail is phenomenal and it reflects in your students. What an awesome program for the students in Lancaster County. Click on the video below to see it for yourself!
The Phoenix Salon is currently open to the public for services on Thursday and Friday during the following hours:
Senior Class (all services)
8:45am - 11:00am (Arrive no later than 9:30am for chemical services)
Junior Class (hairstyling, braiding, treatments, haircutting, manicures, pedicures)
12:45pm - 245pm
Click this link to submit an #lcsdspotlight of your own: #lcsdspotlight link
See the most recent #lcsdspotlight(s) below:
December 20: Exams; No extracurricular activities
December 21: Exams; R2 elementary/middle school reporting period ends; R4 high school reporting period ends; 1st semester ends; Early dismissal; No extracurricular activities
December 22 - January 2: Winter Break; Schools & offices are closed
January 3: 1/2 teacher workday (offices open)
January 4: Second semester begins
January 11: Elementary/middle/high school report cards issued
January 16: MLK holiday; Schools & offices are closed
Have you ever thought about working for Lancaster County School District? We are always in need of great teachers! But not all of our school openings require an education degree. We have openings for substitute teachers, bus drivers, 29 hour assistants and cafeteria staffers! Check out all our job openings by clicking the link below:
Got Feedback about the monthly community newsletter? We want to hear from you! Please fill out the feedback form below and let us know! #LCSDcommunications