Buena Vista Elem. School Newsletter
Dr. Agnes A-Kumi ------- Week 1: 8/16/2021
Principal's Message: Welcome Back!!!
"Education is not the learning of facts but the training of the mind to think"
True LEARNING is THINKING! At Buena Vista, we choose to LEARN!!!
Welcome to 2021-2022 School Year, Soaring Eagle Scholars and Families!
- A Shout Out to all our families, teachers, school staff, district office leadership & personnel! Everyone has been working so hard to bring our students back to school safely. Thank you!
- A Shout Out for a smooth transition and collaboration between our outgoing and incoming PTA board. Please sign up to join PTA!!! It takes a village.
- Thanks to all our families for attending our reopening parent meeting. The recording from the meeting is on our school website under the "Parent Resources" tab.
- PTA Executive Board members, you are awesome. Thanks for the practical support with folders and first day packet organization.
- Thanks to our parents who provided individually baked and wrapped muffins and coffee for our staff meeting on August 13th. Mrs. Brown and team, THANK YOU!!
- A Shout Out to all our TK, Kinder, & 1st. grade families for cooperating with us for a smooth "Meet & Greet" session. It went well. Thank you TK, Kinder, and 1st grade teams.
- We have a new initiative: "PARENTS SUPPORTING PARENTS". We will be sending an introductory letter home with students this week. Thanks to Mrs. Benda who is leading the effort.
Please take note of the following:
- First Day of School is August 16th, school starts at 8:05 am and dismissal is 2:15 pm
- TK/K jumpstart is from 8:05 am - 12:20 pm, August 16 - September 3rd.
- Don't forget to walk the VIP Red Carpet at your respective gate.
- Regular day and Minimum day Bell Schedule
- Information on food.
- Calendar for the year.
- Information: COVID-19 student exposure.
- Meal information
OUR FOCUS -2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR:
We believe students are also excited to be back. Our focus is to continue to take care of the "Whole Child" by utilizing a Multi-Tiered System of Support. We are taking care of the Academics, Behavior, and Social and Emotional Wellbeing of all our students. We believe this approach will lead all our students to greater success.
- Academics - Grade level teams will work together to plan, strategize, and teach high priority academic standards. Students will participate in benchmark assessments to ensure mastery of the standards every five weeks.
- Behavior - We have a Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) program approach to support the behavior needs of all our students. We believe in teaching all our students the expected behavior in and out of the classrooms.
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) - We will be using the Second Step SEL curriculum and other strategies to address the SEL needs of all students.
- Self-Management, Self-Awareness, Social -Awareness, Relationship skills, and Responsible Decision Making strategies are all SEL strategies that will support our students to be academically successful.
TRANSITION KINDERGARTEN AND KINDERGARTEN STUDENTS
We are excited to welcome our youngest students. We look forward to providing you with a great first year experience in school. We have a great TK and kinder team of teachers and paraeducators.
- Aug. 16 - Sept. 3. Transition Kindergarten (TK) and Kindergarten on Jump Start schedule.
- School start: 8:05 am.
- Jumpstart days dismissal: 12:20pm
- Gate opens at 7:50 am.
1st to 6th grade Schedule
For all students:
- Every Wednesday will be a minimum day except on June 8, 2020.
- Start time everyday is: 8:05 am
- Gate opens at 7:50 am.
- Dismissal on minimum days will be at 12:30 pm.
- Dismissal on regular days will be at 2:15 pm.
- Please complete all surveys passed out in first day packet.
- September 2nd is Virtual Back to School Night via Zoom from 5:30-7:00 pm.
- The teachers and staff at Buena Vista are excited to work with all students and we are looking forward to a great academic year. Thank you.
Prepared for 1st day of School
Students level of Engagment
Ask students about their level of engagement everyday.
Schoolwide Behavior Expectation Matrix
Ask student about how to SOAR in the different locations.