Start of 2020-2021 School Year
Welcome Back Letter from the Principal
Dearest Martin Mustang Parents!
We MISS YOU and your beautiful children! Our staff miss hugging and high-fiving our little Mustangs and miss seeing our parents, volunteers, and grandparents throughout the day.
On behalf of the Martin Mustang staff, I want to welcome you back to the 2020-2021 School Year. For the first time in our history, we will be starting the year off without face-to-face Registration, Meet the Teacher, 1st Day of School, and Family Center Welcome Breakfast! We know that this has been an extremely difficult time for most if not all of our families. Despite the difficulties, many of our families were able to have our students log into AliefHUB! to receive instruction in the Spring. I want to say a huge THANK YOU to our families for being flexible, for staying calm, and working with us with our initial Virtual Learning through Alief Learns back in the Spring.
Please know that instruction will be different and more rigorous with Alief’s new Alief Learns at Home curriculum this Fall. Daily attendance will be taken with the same expectation of at least 90% attendance for a full year’s credit. Grading guidelines are similar as years past, with the assignments of numerical and letter grades. So, although the students will not physically be on campus during this time, the state expectations for attendance, engagement, participation, and work reverts back to pre-COVID-19 expectations.
In preparation for a successful Back-to-School, we ask families to please do 6 things:
1) Register EACH child on-line at www.aliefisd.net/enroll regardless if you are a new student or returning student. This is VERY important as we identify technology needs and staffing for Virtual Learning and Face-to-Face instruction. Please remind your neighbors and friends. Thank you!
2) Drive by Martin, starting from Hendon to Belle Glen and looping East to Sharpcrest to pick up student learning resources which include: textbook consumables, pencils, dry erase markers, and math anchor charts, and for those who need it: technology devices. Please come either on Friday, July 31st 1:00 -4:00 pm or Monday, August 3rd 9:30AM-1:30PM. Please put your child’s name, grade level, and LAST year’s teacher l in LARGE and DARK print on a sheet of paper on your dashboard. When you get these resources home, please put their names on the front cover and inside cover of their textbook consumables.
3) Please join us for our brief Virtual Meet the Teacher on July 30th at 3:00pm. We’ll start off with a live greeting and move into a Welcome Presentation which will be available on our website afterwards. Families will then be invited to join teachers in their virtual classrooms for a “meet and greet” and an opportunity to sign up for individual family meetings with the teachers on August 4th or August 5th. The Virtual Meet the Teacher link is on our Martin Webpage https://www.aliefisd.net/martin and will also be shared via text messages and emails on the morning of July 30th as a reminder.
4) Begin setting earlier bedtimes and waking students up by 7:30 Mondays-Fridays so they will be ready to log-on for school at 7:45am starting August 6th.
5) Set up an area for each Alief Student to do their work and to log-on AliefHUB! with minimal distractions and interruptions. If you have multiple children and the only work space is a shared dining table, we request that you allow them to use headphones/earbuds with microphones so they do not distract each other. Martin earbuds in House Colors continue to be available for $5.00 each. Links to order and pay online will be sent out at a later newsletter.
6) Ensure your child has a device which will allow them to log-in to AliefHUB! by 7:45 am on August 6th and beyond for daily instruction. Teachers will share specific class schedules for interactions.
Please make sure you continue to update your contact information at: www.aliefisd.net/hac in order to get the most up-to-date information direction from the school, refer to the Alief and Martin Websites for updates and information, and follow the Martin Twitter: @Martin_Mustangs and your child’s teacher Twitter to see the fun and engaging things that are happening in our Martin World.
Please take care. Reach out to us if you have any questions, concerns, or needs. 281-983-8363.
School Begins August 6th, 7:45AM-3:00PM Monday-Friday!
Martin's Student Registration Information 2020-2021
Please ensure that all the information, especially contact information and student information, is accurate as you enter it. In addition, there are added questions regarding your family's technology needs.
For questions specific to Martin Registration, you can contact our Registrar, Mrs. Arreola at 346.320.3143, Monday through Friday, from 8AM-12PM.
Alief Updated 2020-2021 School Year Calendar
Alief Virtual Instruction Plan
Family, Student, and Staff Virtual Work Compact
Martin Virtual Instruction Materials/Device Pick Up - July 31st and August 3rd
To assist your child(ren) at home with the virtual instruction, we are gathering supplies, materials, and textbooks students will need to fully engage at home. We will be making these bags of instructional materials for parents to pick up at Martin on Friday, July 31st from 1PM-4PM and on Monday, August 3rd from 9:30AM-1:30PM. View the map below for details on which entrance for you to pick up the materials at.
The materials pick up will be at different doors of Martin depending on the student grade level (more below).
Pick Up Process
In order to reduce traffic and maintain social distancing guidelines, we have created a pick up process that we will follow on Friday and Monday
- Parents will drive up to the school and stop at the Call Area. Please place a large sheet of paper with your child's grade, full name, and last year's teacher on your windshield. A staff member will approach the vehicle and read the name off the paper. The staff member will repeat the information over the walkie to staff members inside the school.
- Parent will then pull to the Pick Up Area and open their trunk (or backseat passenger door). Staff members will then place the student materials in the trunk (or backseat) and close it.
- Parent will then exit the area in the given direction (see map below) in order to avoid getting caught in pick up traffic.
- If you have students in multiple grade levels, start at the PK-1st area first, then the 2nd-4th area.
Parent Walk Up
In order to maintain the safety of you as well as our staff, we highly encourage everyone to drive up in a vehicle and avoid walking up in person. However, we understand that this is not possible for everyone.
If you must walk up to collect your child's materials, please walk up to the Walk Up Call Area at the Northwest corner of the building. There will be an area marked for Walk Ups and hold up a sign with your student's grade, full name, and last year's teacher. A staff member will go into the building to gather the requested materials and place them on a table near by and step away. At that point, you can then proceed to pick up the materials from the table to avoid direct contact. DO NOT pick up the bag directly from the staff member as this will violate social distancing guidelines.
If a line forms, there will be markings on the floor to notate where to stand to wait your turn while staying six feet apart.
Meet the Teacher Video's - July 30th
PK and Kinder Orientations will not be held this year but will instead have Meet the Teacher with the PK and Kinder teachers at the same day and time as above.
Class lists assigning students to teachers will be shared on the Martin Website on July 29th.
School Supply Lists 2020-2021 School Year
Martin Elementary 2020-2021 VIRTUAL Supply List
- Inside of the bag of materials that will be given on July 31st and August 3rd, there will be newsletters from the grade level teams with a list of recommended items students should have available while they have their virtual instruction that will help with their learning.
Martin Elementary 2020-2021 ON CAMPUS Supply List
- This supply list will be updated and shared on the Martin Website once we know more about when we will be returning to campus for in person instruction as the needs may change.
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT)
Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is a one-time food benefit for families who lost access to free or reduced-price meals due to school closures. For more information, visit: hhs.texas.gov/PEBT
The online application for P-EBT is now open and will close July 31st. Please review the criteria to see if you need to apply to receive these benefits. The application link is provided below.
DO I NEED TO APPLY FOR P-EBT?
Families that DID NOT get SNAP benefits for the month of March 2020
- Yes, you will need to apply.
- Fill out an application here: yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT
- The application is open until July 31, 2020.
- If you do not currently get SNAP benefits and your child is approved for P-EBT, you will be mailed a P-EBT card loaded with benefits.
Families that DID get SNAP benefits for the month of March 2020
- You do not need to apply for children ages 5-18. Benefits were loaded onto your existing SNAP card by May 22.
- If you have children under 5 and/or between the ages of 19 and 21, you will need to fill out an application for those children. Fill out an application here: yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT
- If you get SNAP benefits and your child is approved for P-EBT, we will put funds on your current Lone Star Card.
Families will need to drive up and have the student ID number (or numbers if more than one student at Martin). If you do not know their student ID, then you can bring a letter from Martin with the student's name on it.
Meals will be given out free of charge for the first 3 weeks. After that, there may be a fee based on the completed Free/Reduced Meal Application. If it is not completed, parents will have pay for the meals. See the section below to complete the Free/Reduced Meal Application.
Free/Reduced Meals Application
To pre-pay your student's meal account & complete an application online to apply for free or reduced meals benefits. 855-729-2328 Toll free support line
- You will need your student's ID number to register. If you do not know your student's ID number, call 281-988-3388.
- Online applications are encouraged for faster response time.
- View your student's cafeteria account balance and purchases.
- Make secure online payments anytime, anywhere.
- Set up hassle-free automatic payments for your student
- Receive email messages when your account has a low balance
Nutrition Department information can be found at the link below:
Student Dismissal Survey
- Martin 2020-2021 School Year, 50th Anniversary T-shirt (available in Youth sizes XS to XL) - $15 each
- Martin House T-Shirt (Citrine, Emerald, Garnet, and Sapphire) (available in Youth sizes XS to XL) - $15 each
- Martin House Earbuds (Black, Emerald, Garnet, and Sapphire) - $5 each
- Martin 2-layered Cloth Face Masks (small or large) - $8 each
- Martin House Face Shields (Citrine, Emerald, Garnet, and Sapphire) - $5 each
- Martin House Water Bottles (Citrine, Emerald, Garnet, and Sapphire) - $6 each