Fork Shoals Library Ledger
March 2017 Newsletter
Get ready for the Spring Book Fair!
Our Scholastic Book Fair is a reading event that brings the books kids want to read right into our school. It’s a wonderful selection of engaging and affordable books for every reading level. Please make plans to visit our Book Fair and be involved in shaping your child’s reading habits.
Book Fair dates: Friday, March 3rd-Friday, March 10
- Friday, March 3rd – 8am-3pm
- Monday, March 6th – 8am-7:30pm
- Tuesday, March 7th-Thursday, March 9th – 8am-3pm
- Friday, March 10th – 8am-noon
We accept cash, checks (made payable to Fork Shoals School), and all major credit cards. 6% sales tax is added to all purchases.
Don't have time to visit the Book Fair? You can shop online! Our Online Book Fair is open February 26-March 11, and all orders ship free to the school.
Greenville Drive Reading All-Stars Program
To complete the program, students must read 5 books during the program, which runs February 13th-March 17th. Students who complete the program will be honored at Fluor Field before the 7pm Drive game on Monday, April 24th.
All Greenville Drive reading logs are due to Ms. Knight by Friday, March 17th.
Students can count the same books for both the Reading All-Stars program and the 2nd Quarter Reading Challenge.
Third Quarter Reading Challenge
Your child's goal: Read as many books as possible between now and March 22nd. Reading logs must be turned in to Ms. Knight no later than Tuesday, March 28th. We’ll have prizes for those who read the most in each grade level, and every participant will receive recognition!
All students have received reading logs. You can also print out a reading log here. (If your child reads more than 50 books, you can continue recording books on this blank reading log.) List books as you complete them. Remember that books can be counted only once, and only books finished should be recorded.
Battle of the Books Practice & Competition Schedule
Tuesday, February 28 - 2:30-3:30pm
Tuesday, March 7 - 2:30-? (Test for competition team. When test is complete, team members are free to go.)
Tuesday, March 14 - 2:30-3:30pm
Tuesday, March 21 - 2:30-3:30pm
Tuesday, March 28 - 2:30-3:30pm**
**This practice is dependent on the team making it to Finals.
Regionals - Tuesday, March 21 @ Bell’s Crossing Elementary
Registration - 6:00pm
Competition rounds - 6:30pm
Teams that win both of their competition rounds move on to Finals.
Finals - Tuesday, March 28 @ Buena Vista Elementary
Registration - 6:00pm
- Competition rounds - 6:15pm
Fork Shoals' Book Award Winners
The nominees for the 2017-18 Book Awards will be featured in the April library newsletter. Stay tuned!
YouTube Channel for the Fork Shoals Library, featuring school videos and book trailers for the South Carolina Picture and Children's Book Award nominees.
Dates to Remember:
- March 2 - Spring pictures; Related arts/support staff volunteer day
- March 3 - Spirit Day; Book Fair opens
- March 6-10 - Spring Book Fair
- March 6 - IB Parent Workshop, 5pm; All Arts Night, 6pm
- March 14 - SIC meeting, 7:30am
- March 16 - Makeup Day #1 (School will be in session.)
- March 17 - Spirit Day; Makeup Day #2 (School will be in session.)
- March 21 - Battle of the Books Regionals @ Bell's Crossing, 6pm
- March 22 - End of 3rd quarter
- March 28 - Battle of the Books Finals @ Buena Vista, 6pm
- March 29 - Report cards; La Fogata Spirit Day
- March 30 - Magnificent Moms Breakfast, 7:30am
- March 31 - Spirit Day; Spring Spectacular, 4-7pm