Government Relations Update
November 2nd, 2020
NCGA Session Year 2019 Summaries of Substantive Legislation
Highlights from NCDPI / NCSBE
NC State Board of Education - Legislative Priorities
See the strategic plan and legislative priorities of the North Carolina State Board of Education below.
1. Early Grades Reading - SBE K-3 Education Framework
2. Teacher Preparation, Professional Learning Opportunities, and Compensation
3. Principal Preparation, Professional Learning Opportunities, and Compensation
4. Supporting the Whole Child (Social/ Emotional and Student Mental Health)
5. School Accountability and Teacher Effectiveness Models
6. School and District Assistance and Turnaround
7. Connecting High School to Postsecondary and Career Opportunities
8. Increasing NC DPI Support Positions
9. Support for Other Agency Budget Requests
Highlights from October NC SBE Planning & Work Session
HEALTHY RESPONSIBLE STUDENTS COMMITTEE
- Whole Child: Using Data to Improve Student Health and Well-Being
- Discussion Item - New Policy: School-Based Mental Health Policy
myFutureNC SPECIAL COMMITTEE
- Building Bridges through Partnerships: Merging Goals and Objectives to Increase Opportunity and Access for NC Students
COVID-19 State and Federal Funds Overview
From ASCA: Election Conversations & Resources
Before you take any action, review your school and district policies to be sure you don’t violate any policies as you help your students. For example, some districts have policies prohibiting faculty from talking about politics with students. In addition, consult with your district to discover any guidance or response initiatives it has in place, so your actions align with school and district programs.
Apply to be a U.S. Department of Education School Ambassador
The U.S. Department of Education's School Ambassador Fellowship is designed to support the department’s efforts in improving educational outcomes for students and families by involving school-based stakeholders in the development and implementation of national education policy.
The School Ambassador Fellowship is a one-year professional learning community. Throughout their fellowship year, School Ambassador Fellows will share perspectives from the field that ultimately inform educational decisions at the national level, work alongside department officials as a full-time member of the Department of Education community or continue working within your school and collaborate on a part-time basis, and facilitate meaningful interactions between national policy-makers and educators in the field.
For more info, visit the link below. The deadline to apply is Jan. 11, 2021.
Visit the links below for more info!
Education News for North Carolina
Legislative Info & Acronyms
Biennium- A two-year term of legislative activity
Public Bill- Legislation enacted into law that applies to the public at large
Local Bill- Legislation put into law that has limited application (How many counties)- Local bills do not have to be signed by the governor
Sponsor- The legislator who presents a bill or resolution for consideration
Resolution- A document that expresses the sentiment or intent of the legislature or a chamber. Resolutions, when finalized, go to the Secretary of State
DPI = NC Department of Public Instruction
LEA = Local Education Agency
NCGA = North Carolina General Assembly
LB/LOB = Legislative Building/Legislative Office Building
SBE = North Carolina State Board of Education
SISP = Specialized Instructional Support Personnel
HB/SB = House Bill/Senate Bill
JR = Joint Resolution
SL = Session Law
GS = General Statute
PCS = Proposed Committee Substitute