The Virtual Health Office
Springing into the Final Semester
- As of March 30th Butte County is in the orange tier. To find out more about what that means in our community visit: https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/?fbclid=IwAR11fycIyfwFrsSZyjrc21ZPVeGEnYQhcjEa-MWbIJEAxjlqArQ_KuXlxWk
- Butte County is now offering shots to everyone in our community, including students ages 16 and up. For updates visit https://www.buttecounty.net/publichealth/COVID19/vaccine or log on to Butte County's FB page every Thursday for a weekly vaccine update.
- As more members of our community receive vaccinations, it is important to stay up to date with quarantine guidance: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html
AUTISM AWARENESS MONTH
Autism affects the way a student thinks, problem solves, and is often accompanied by sensory sensitivities and medical issues such as gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, seizures or sleep disorders, as well as mental health challenges such as anxiety, depression and attention issues.
-According to the Centers for Disease Control, autism affects an estimated 1 in 54 children in the United States today
-4 x more likely to effect boys.
-Autism affects 70 million people worldwide.
-Early intervention is key, autism can be reliably diagnosed around age 2, but the average age of diagnosis is 4.
How can you and your students participate in increasing autism awareness?
-Friday April 2 is Autism Awareness Day, but you can celebrate all month!
-Shop local and support a business that provides autism services: https://www.littleredhen.org/pages/boutique. They have 5 locations in town, and their online store!
-Check out all the resources Chico state has to offer through their Autism Clinic: https://www.csuchico.edu/kine/community-service-programs/families.shtml
-Educate, and practice inclusion. Check it out, Disney’s Fancy Nancy episode for April featuring a character with autism:https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2020/03/31/fancy-nancy-sesame-street-autism-episodes/28080/
-Take the kindness challenge through https://www.autismspeaks.org/kindness/spreadkindness.
WORLD HEALTH DAY - April 7th
World Health Day 2020. World Health Day's message is simple: giving people access to healthcare without the prospect of financial hardship. CUSD believes in this message for our students and families. Our community has many resources for providers if needed that are free for most students:
- Butte County Public Health Clinics: http://www.buttecounty.net/ph/Clinics-Labs
- Local medi-cal providers accepting new patients: https://www.buttecounty.net/Portals/21/Nursing/Maternal_ChildHealth/CHDP/PhysicianProviders.pdf
- Shalom free clinic, open every Sunday: https://shalomfreeclinic.org/brochure/
Earth Day is Thursday April 22!
- Get involved https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2021/.
- Participate in these Earth Day themed activities https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/138729/10-things-you-can-do-to-celebrate-earth-day-from-home/
- Get outside and appreciate all the beauty our planet has to offer: https://www.explorebuttecounty.com/hike-butte-ca?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5CDBhB9EiwA0w6sLTVwfKKzK3xJeolxwt9T2YAu5kF3cwYqWkzr_Z3KwUbU8qVdACA2whoCFcUQAvD_BwE
CONTACT YOUR SCHOOL NURSE!
Melanie Evans, firstname.lastname@example.org: Marsh Junior High , Parkview Elementary, Bidwell Junior High
Tina Collins: email@example.com: Emma Wilson Elementary, Little Chico Creek Elementary, Hooker Oak Elementary, Neal Dow Elementary
Michelle Neves Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org: Chico Senior High, McManus Elementary, Wildflower Elementary
Julie Scalet, email@example.com: Pleasant Valley High, Fairview, Sierra View Elementary
Julie Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org: Loma Vista, Marigold Elementary, Oakdale Elementary and Oakbridge
Cindy Steffen, email@example.com: Citrus Elementary, Rosedale Elementary, Chapman Elementary
Sherry Atkin, firstname.lastname@example.org: Shasta Elementary, Chico Junior High, Forest Ranch