The PRES Press
Principal's Monthly Newsletter, April 2018
A Message from Principal Amy Fishkin
Celebrating Earth Day!
April 20th will be our next school spirit day! Students are invited to wear their PRES clothes or anything green, for Earth Day, and to celebrate our school pride!
We are also inviting students to take on the Earth Month Challenge. Students are invited to participate in 4 challenges: 1) Green Solutions; 2) Meatless Recipes; 3) Turn Old Into New; 4) Green Readers. Please consider having your child(ren) try out at least one of these Earth Month challenges, and submit their ideas to the green "Earth Month Challenge" box in the main office by Thursday, April 19. The students' ideas will be shared at our April 20th assembly.
You can review our bus safety rules with your children by referring to the "Bus Safety Contract" sent home earlier in the school year or by clicking on the link to our school website: Bus Safety Contract
Honoring Mrs. Nancy Morfea
Mrs. Nancy Morfea was a well-loved mother, grandmother, friend, and co-worker to many. She spent the past 40 years working as a teacher's aide in the Bedford Central School District, at Pound Ridge Elementary School, where she was adored by an entire community. She was known for her famous empanadas, her sewing Pride class, her sense of humor, and the loving way she supported all students in the classroom and on the playground. Nancy sadly passed away on February 12, 2018, after a courageous battle with cancer. In her honor, we will be holding a memorial event on May 21, 2018 at 4:00 pm on the Pound Ridge Elementary School Playground. All are welcome.
The Placement Process
Your participation is not required, but if you would like to contribute to this process, please feel free to complete the form and return it to Amy Fishkin in the main office by Monday, April 30th.
Library Hosts New Book Tasting!
School Dismissal Manager Update
- Students who have a recurring dismissal plan, such as PRIDE, Tennis, CCC, Pick-up, or American Gymnastics: If there is a change to this recurring plan, parents will need to go into SDM and make an exception for that day. If no change is made, we will follow the directions set by School Dismissal Manager.
- If your child will be riding a different bus home for any reason, please choose the new bus number as the exception for that day. Enter the child's destination in the “notes” section.
- If your child will be riding his/her regular bus home, but is getting off at a different stop, please enter this as an exception. Choose the same bus number as the exception for that day. Then, enter the child's new destination in the “notes” section.
- If you need to cancel a recurring dismissal plan, click on "Recurring Dismissal Instructions" at the top of your screen. Choose the student/child. Then, choose "Click here to delete all existing recurring dismissal instructions." This will delete ALL recurring exceptions and reset to the default plan for your child.
Here's how we know School Dismissal Manager is working...
- In less than 4 months, since starting the program, a total of 5,894 exceptions have been entered into the system for the year. That's almost 6,000 paper notes saved!
- We've had a total of 392 exceptions just this week.
- We've had a total of 1,148 exceptions so far this month, and it's only mid-April!
- We have a total of 212 active parent accounts!
- Keep up the good work, PRES!
PRES Spelling Bee
Here are our PRES Spelling Bee winners...
1st place tie: Tessa Dorgan and Leilani Forni
3rd : Julia Martone
1st: Curtis McConnell
2nd: Lily Tunick
3rd: Elizabeth Eshoo
1st: Skyler Benson
2nd: Dani Ades
3rd: Nora Dooley
1st: Niles Sood
2nd: Serra Worlock
3rd: Maeve Welch