Weekend ... Virtual Backpack
St. Gabriel School ............. April 3, 2016
Developing our God-given souls, minds, talents and gifts .......................................... as servant leaders .......................................... in the community of the Body of Christ.
That's the St. Gabriel Advantage ...
WEEKLY LITURGICAL READINGS AND REFLECTIONS
Sunday of Divine Mercy
Sacred Scripture JN 20:21-23
[Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,“Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.
Message of Mercy
Wellspring of Mercy
I cannot say: I forgive my sins. Forgiveness is asked for, is asked of another, and in confession we ask for forgiveness from Jesus. Forgiveness is not the fruit of our own efforts but rather a gift, it is a gift of the Holy Spirit who fills us with the wellspring of mercy and of grace that flows unceasingly from the open heart of the Crucified and Risen Christ.
— General Audience, February 19, 2014
Ask God for the humility to receive mercy in his way, not our own.
This message of mercy and reflection material is generously provided by Our Sunday Visitor, publisher of A Year of Mercy With Pope Francis: Daily Reflections.
REMINDER: Grade 6 Camp Parent Chaperone Meeting - Monday 4-4-16, GLD, 6:30pm
St. Gabriel NJHS Blankets for patients project
The nurses in the pediatric unit love to giv blankets to patients, and the children love to receive them. Supplies have run out, and at present the only blankets they have are provided by the nurses themselves.
A "Comfort for Kids" donation form was sent home last week with all students. Please send your donation and completed form to the school office.
- The funds granted will enable SP students at St. Gabriel to receive additional time with specialists as needed, and in many cases additional services such as OT (occupational therapy) as needed. (Note: Not Tuition)
- The Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship Program provides scholarships to students who are eligible to attend kindergarten through 12th grade and have an IEP from their district of residence (SP from ST. Gabriel).
- Importantly, scholarship funds will also open doors to obtain other additional student service offerings for even more students in other areas in the regular classrooms.
If you are interested but were not able to make the Parent Information meeting, please call the Office or Mrs. Saladino as soon as possible. The deadline for application for next school year is April 15.
WALKATHON - FULL STEAM AHEAD !!
Help support 2016, 10th Annual Walkathon!
We are excited to report back early returns for our Walkathon, moving Full STEAM ahead! We have so far reached a total of over $34,000, which is almost 1/2 of the way to our goal of $75,000!! Thank you Grizzlies!!! Keep getting the word out, share our needs and our goal with whoever you can! Your sharing words make a huge difference!
As we move closer toward our STEM Designation credential from the Ohio Department of Education, the Walkathon will greatly help us raise the funds for resources and equipment to enhance student's project-based learning and collaboration.
These include such things as robotics, 3D printers, other technology and programmable devices and Maker Space supplies, and collaborative student desk furniture. We are also going to upgrade the stage area lighting, which will increase stage usage for integrating performing arts into STEAM projects.
Thank you for your support!
The St. Gabriel School Performing Arts Proudly Presents: CINDERELLA
NOTE: There will be 2 Cinderella performances only: Saturday evening and Wednesday afternoon!
To help off-set some of this year’s expenses, the cast is offering a Magic Wand Fundraiser. The cost of the Magic Wand is $6. If you would like to order one, please fill out the attached order form and send in with $6 to Mrs. Karpuszka. Please make checks payable to St. Gabriel School. The order will be placed in March and delivery will be the week of the performances.
- Cinderella performance dates are Saturday, April 16th at 7:00PM and Sunday, April 17th at 3:00PM.
- Ticket order forms will be sent home by the middle of March.
- Your Cinderella and Prince are welcome to bring their wands to the show and light them when the Fairy Godmother is on stage! (Weekend Performances only.)
March 21 - March 25
Looking Ahead ... April 4 -- June 9
April 4 -- Classes Resume
- 6:30 Gr 6 Camp Parent Chaperones only meeting
- NO SCHOOL MASS - due to church remodeling
- Report cards for 3rd quarter to go home
- Grade 5 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
April 9 -- District Power of the Pen Regional Competition
- 9:00am Mini Open House for new inquiring families
- NO SCHOOL MASS -- due to church remodeling
Aprl 14 -- PTU Spring Fling, Moms Night Out
- Location: Community Center at Mentor Ice Arena, 8600 Munson Road, Mentor
- Time: 5:30-9:30pm
- Contact: Denise at email@example.com
- Vendor items
- 9:00am Gr 2 First Eucharist Retreat
- 7:00 pm Performing Arts Group, "Cinderella", PC
- 3:00pm Performing Arts Group "Cinderella", PC
April 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 -- Grade 7 and 8 Operation Keepsake
April 22 -- Grade 1 and 8 Zoo - Field Trip
April 19, 20, 21, 22 -- Grade 6 Outdoor Camp
April 26 -- New Kindergarten Parent Welcome and Orientation Evening
- 6:00--7:30pm, MPR
- Information for 2016--2017 School Year
- Refreshments and Fellowship with new parents, Class of 2025!
April 29 -- NO SCHOOL - Teacher In-Service Day
May 2 & 3
- Kindergarten Screening --NO SCHOOL for REGULAR KINDERGARTEN and JR K
- 8:15am May Crowning, Church
- Band Concert
- Lake Catholic HS
- pm 8th Grade "Academy Award Night", MPR
MAY 20 -- WALKATHON and FIELD DAY
- 7:00pm Grades 4-5 Music Program, PC
- Young Authors, Young Artists Night
May 27 -- Rain date for Walkathon and Field Day
June 3 -- Kindergarten Graduation
- 9:00am, In Church
- LAST DAY OF CUBCARE
- NO CUBCARE
- 8:30am Gr 8 Baccalaureate Mass
- 9:30 Gr 8 Breakfast,, Church CR
- 7:00pm Gr 8 Graduation Ceremony, church
- Reception following in MPR
June 7 -- Last day of school
- NO CUBCARE
- 8:30am Blessing of Children, Church
- 11:00am Early Dismissal, there will be buses
8th Grade Students at NEOSEF, Cleveland State University, Win Awards!
Sarah Mancari won 2nd Place in Engineering, Gr 7-8!
Anthony Brey won Honorable Mention in Chemistry
Dominic Gonzalez won Honorable Mention in Chemistry
Becky Henrikson won Honorable Mention in Physical Science
Jackie Nguyen won Honorable Mention in Environmental
The Northeastern Ohio Science and Engineering Fair (NEOSEF) is a non-profit organization, whose goal is to get young adults interested in science and engineering by participating in a science fair competition. One of the most rewarding aspects of NEOSEF is the opportunity for the students to discuss their research with professional scientists and engineers from the local area. At the fair, students compete in nine categories which are subdivided by grade levels. NEOSEF awards one 1st place, and multiple 2nd place, 3rd place and honorable mentions per subdivision.
A very special thank you to Mrs. Stephanie Loncar for her instruction and guidance of these and all our gr 7-8 students. Mrs. Loncar leads our students in learning content, knowledge, and skills, and how to use critical thinking to apply this learning in real world problem solving ... STEM features that are being integrated across all St. Gabriel curriculum.
At the award ceremonies Thursday evening special guest speaker Dr. Kristen Ellenbogen, President and CEO of Great Lakes Science Center stated, "The Science Center wants to help schools achieve implementing STEM programs into their learning."
March Madness rivaled by St. Gabriel 5th/6th Grade TOURNAMENT OF BOOKS MADNESS!
Each reader in the fifth and sixth grade has filled out a “book bracket” charting their predictions for the outcome of the tournament. Readers vote once per round on their favorite book for each “game” to determine the winner of that round. They have been tallying the scores for each “game” to determine the overall winner. Winning books are posted on the bracket outside in the hall after students vote.Students will earn point(s) for each correctly predicted winner on their bracket. The reader with the most points in each grade wins a prize!
After 2 rounds of voting, the winning books so far are: Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Divergent, Holes, Matilda, Maze Runner, Hatchet, and Where the Wild Things Are! The game will end April 4th!
Grade 4 Science -- EGG DROP!
Fourth graders in Mrs. Percival's Science class
Wednesday Mini Math time ...
Fish Fry ends being an "awesome catch" this year, the one that "did not get away"!
And despite the amount of food we served, there were almost no issues whatsoever keeping up. Outstanding job by everyone in the kitchen, out in the garage, and in the MPR / gym! Thanks to ALL Volunteers, without you this wouldn't be possible.
We are so blessed for all that help. What a great Community we have.
Thank you Everyone,
Advertising / Sponsorship Opportunity - NEW
Snow (Calamity) Day reminders
"THE SNOW DAY 3"
- Students are expected to do work that was already assigned or regularly expected for the day that became a snow day(s). if a quiz or test was scheduled, it will be taken on the first day back after the snow day(s).
- No new instruction or new work or new assignments will be given. As with homework normally, if students have questions or problems, they can ask the teachers when they get back to school.
- Teachers will post on their web pages by noon on each snow day, any news, information, instructions or changes students and/or parents need to know about classwork, homework, or other assignments or events. Students and parents must check teacher web pages each snow day.
St. Gabriel School on Twitter
2) Donna Lee Saladino @PrincipalStGabe
If you have any questions about our school Twitter accounts, or need help setting up one for yourself to be able to access and follow our Twitter accounts, contact Mrs. Joyce Gravagna, our school Technology Integration Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please make special places in your hearts and prayers for all persons in our St. Gabriel Community:
For comfort and healing for Mark Kobosky and his wife and their family for the loss of their sister and sister in law Janet Smolinsky.
For the Gromack family, for prayers of comfort in the loss of Mrs. Gromack's brother,
For comfort and healing to the Bill Koenig and Keith Koenig families with the loss of their grandparent/great grandparent.
For comfort and healing for Tessa & Ella Koenig and family for the loss of their grandfather.
For comfort and healing for Anthony and Gianna Piunno and family for the loss of their grandfather, Joseph Duca.
Please keep in your prayers, general intercessions for all in our community, especially all of our students who have suffered losses of loves ones over the last few years. And I know there are many needing both big and little prayers here and there, for many reasons. I was once read an anonymous quote:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
A very special expression of appreciation and thanks to our wonderful school parent Sunshine Committee who strives to lead reach out efforts of love and support and help for those in our community in suffering!
Submitting School News, Memos, and Information
If you wish to have something included in the Weekend Virtual Back (VB) or the Weekday News and Notes, or any of our shorter email memos, please contact our Communications Coordinator, Michelle Clarke, at email@example.com. All items must be approved by the principal and follow our policies. Thank you!!
NOTE: Also, if there are technical obstacles or difficulties in preventing you from accessing a linked item, or getting the correct information, please let Mrs. Clarke know, and she will get you the document or item or information you need!