Second Grade Rock Stars
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 02/08: Lunar New Year
- 02/10: Science Fair at 5:00 pm on the PW Campus
- 02/11: WCS Board Meeting 6:30 pm on the PW Campus
- 02/12: Spirit Day: Twin Day - Second Graders wear yellow
- 02/12: WCS Talent Show 6:00 pm at NP3 Gym
- 02/15-02/19: No School
- 02/26: WAVE Movie Night 6:00 pm
- 03/07: WCS Lottery Night at 5:00 pm
- 03/10: People Who Made a Difference Living Wax Museum 9:05 am
- 03/11: Last day of the Second Trimester
- 03/16-03/18: Mrs. Martin Out: Presenting at CUE National Conference
- 03/21-04/01: No School
- 04/29: Spring Pictures
Tuned In: Notices and Reminders
- Please fill out the Parent-Teacher Collaboration Conference Form to let me know where and when best works for you to meet for a conference. (Starbucks, your house, etc.)
Thursday, March 10th, 9-9:45am
3800 Del Paso Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
Students have been hard at work continuing to research and write about their Difference Maker. They have so far researched about their childhood, what that person is famous for, and what accomplishments they have made. They also developed great hooks using their person's birthdate and worked quite a bit on what character traits their person possessed/possesses while using details to support those traits. This next week we will be finishing up our first drafts, working on accurately citing our sources, and creating a bibliography.
In math, we started identifying and discussing strategies for adding up money. We will soon be adding and subtracting money with an emphasis on decimal points, dollars and cents, and word problems. Please continue to work at home with your child to reinforce their skills and identification of real coins versus our in-class play coins.
In reading, we have continued to build our vocabulary, enhance our reading abilities, and grow a deeper understanding of people, events, and biographies through small-group guided reading during Reading Workshop. We have loved learning about all sorts of amazing people!
Our California Museum Field Trip
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Non-Fiction: Main Idea and Details, Identifying and Using Text Features, Types of Non-Fiction
Writing: Non-Fiction Informative Writing: Biographies of People Who Made a Difference, citations, reliable sources, editing, and revising. Making Text Features: Timeline, Headings, Bibliographies, Cover Page, Glossary
Language: Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words
Theme: People Who Made a Difference
Questions to ask your Rock Star...
- Who is someone new that you learned about while at the California Museum?
- Who is someone else in your class researching and how did that person make a difference?
- What is a thesaurus? What would you use it for?
- How has your research and writing been coming along?
- What can you tell me about your Difference Maker?
- Can you answer the Math Monday problem? CLICK HERE to get to it. Remember to answer in a complete sentence. Extra points for explaining what strategy you used!