SOARing at Oak Park!
Family Newsletter- November 2022
As we enter into the holiday season, we want to take a minute and say THANK YOU! We are grateful to be a part of your child's academic story. Each day, we strive to make Oak Park Elementary better, and it wouldn't be possible without each of you.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Mrs. McDonough, Mrs. Wehrly, & Mrs. Mayo
IMPORTANT CALENDAR UPDATES!
The approved plan moves two days from second semester to first semester. Those days are January 6th and January 9th. The second semester will now begin on January 10, 2023. In addition, the board approved converting four early release Fridays to regular school days. The days impacted are:
The School Board voted and approved the following early release Fridays to become regular school days:
- November 4, 2022
- November 18, 2022
- December 2, 2022
- January 6, 2023
On these days, dismissal will be at 3:15.
Mark Your Calendars for these Dates!
- Interim Reports will be issued & Published on FOCUS: Friday, November 18th
- Thanksgiving Holiday Break: November 21st to November 25th
- Winter Break: December 22nd to January 4th
- Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday/Holiday for All: January 16th, 2023
- Report Cards issued and published on FOCUS: January 17th
Veteran's Day is Friday, November 11th: Holiday for All to honor all of our Veterans!
Title 1 Data Night
Wednesday, Nov. 9th, 5pm
3395 Dairy Road
School Adviosory Council (SAC): 11/30: 4:00-5:00
*Childcare for Oak Park students is available.*
We are thrilled to welcome volunteers on campus to help support staff and students in a variety of ways. The District has waived the $35.00 fee for Brevard Public Schools until further notice. Please visit District and School Security / Fingerprinting (brevardschools.org) to access the Volunteer Application.
**Fingerprints through District Security are taking 6-8 weeks to be run through the process.**
Last Friday's Lunch in the Garden!
Attention 6th Grade Families!
AJMS Cambridge Parent Information Night: Monday, Dec 5, from 6-6:45 in the Jackson Cafeteria
AJMS Cambridge Showcase Evening: Tuesday, Jan 24, from 6-8 @ Jackson Middle School
Please RSVP to 321-269-1812 or email by 1/13/23
Application Window: January 9- February 24, 2023
If you have any questions, families may contact Ms. Drye at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 321-269-1812 ext. 32356
This week's Lunch in the Garden!
November 4th: Kindergarten and Second Grade
November 10th: Pre-K, Sixth Grade, Turner. S. and Ms. Majors (Note Change: Thursday due to Friday being Veteran's Day)
November 18th: First Grade and Third Grade
December 2nd: Fourth Grade, Fifth Grade, Jones, Hochman and Carroll
December 9th: Kindergarten and Second Grade
December 16th: Pre-K, Sixth Grade, Turner, & Majors
January 6th: First Grade and Third Grade
January 13th: Fourth Grade, Fifth Grade, Jones, Hochman and Carroll
Pre-K, Sixth Grade, Turner, & Majors Lunch in the Garden Sign-up below! Date: Thursday, November 10th, 2022
Lunch in the Garden Reminders!
- The event will be canceled if weather is not conducive to outside eating in the garden.
- If purchasing lunch from our cafeteria, please bring correct change.
- Families may bring a lunch or purchase from the cafeteria. $3.10 per adult lunch
- If purchasing an adult lunch from cafe, please add your child's name and teacher to the sign-up slot. We will work to have your lunch ready!
- Thank you!
Thanksgiving & Winter Break Challenge!
Oak Park administration and teachers are challenging students to login to Lexia or Power Up during Thanksgiving & Winter Break for 30 minutes a day to combat holiday slide! Incentives will be given to students meeting usage and units passed!
Why wait until the holidays? The Oak Park administration encourages families to have students do 20 to 30 minutes each night! Help us close the reading gap and to accelerate students already on grade level!
"Lexia® Core5® Reading is an adaptive blended learning program that accelerates the development of literacy skills for students of all abilities, helping them make that critical shift from learning to read to reading to learn."
"Lexia® PowerUp Literacy® accelerates literacy gains for students in grades 6–12 who are at risk of not meeting College- and Career-Ready Standards. Proven to be up to five times as effective as the average middle school reading intervention, Power Up enables students to make multiple years of growth in a single academic year."
How to Login?
- Login to BPS Launchpad, click on Lexia or Power Up or go to
- Lexia Core5 Reading - Login and Student Program\
- Lexia PowerUp Literacy - Login and Student Program
- Teachers email or use email@example.com
- User Name: student #
- Password: student #
Severe Weather Plan!
Severe Weather Plan Needed for Bike Riders and Walkers
Inclement Weather Looking to Pass Quickly
- Administration & SRO watch the radar and determine if we need to hold students for a short period of time because of lightening within 10 miles of the school.
- A text message will be sent that we are holding until weather clears.
- Radar will continued to be monitored until clear.
- After weather clears, a text message will be sent that we are dismissing as usual. Students may walk and ride their bikes home.
Inclement Weather in the Area for a Long Lasting Time Period
- Administration & SRO will assess the radar and make a determination that Bike Riders and Walkers need to move to their Severe Weather Plan because severe weather does not look to pass in a timely manner.
- A message will be sent out via text message letting families know of the change of dismissal plan to "Severe Weather" for Bike Riders and Walkers.
- All bike riders and walkers need a severe weather dismissal plan in case of inclement weather lasting a long period of time. We are asking for students to be picked up in the car loop with a car sign.
- Car Signs may be picked up daily in the front office 7:30-3:30
If a Family Does Not Have A Car Sign for Severe Weather Dismissal?
- Please park and go inside the front office to show ID. A car sign will be given to you with proper ID.
- You will then be asked to pick your child up in the car loop.
Families who walk and do not drive?
- You may come to the office with your ID for pick-up. We are asking you please not walk home during dangerous weather.