Weekly update for the Meadows Elementary School community
February Events 2/16/20-2/28/20
Monday, February 17
- No school
Tuesday, February 18
- 2:45pm Chess in MPR
- Art Class
- 7:30am Math Olympics
- Field Trip- Reyes CLWA
- The Habit-Restaurant Night. A portion of all purchases goes to Meadows PTSA.
- 6:00pm Town Hall Facilities Master Plan Meeting-MPR-Give us feedback on our facilities and modernizations projects. What do you want us to prioritize?
- 8:05am PTSA General Meeting
- 2:40pm-3:45pm-Musical Rehearsal -MPR
- Cardboard Playground Launch Day and Training for Parents Volunteers
- Folk Dancing for 4th grade
- Early dismissal at 12:00pm.
- Anti-Bullying Assembly by Mrs. Carson, Counselor
- 6pm-8pm-PTSA Family Dance- Join us for a fun family event at school.
- Minimum Day
- 2:45pm Robotics
Tuesday, February 25
- DFY Lifelines Assembly 6th Grade at Placerita
- Kona Ice After School- A portion of all purchases are donated to Meadows.
- Parent Education on Anti-Vaping Presentation
- Honoring 1st Grade Teacher, Kim Woodard at the NSD Board Meeting for Teacher Tribute
- 2:40pm-3:45pm-Musical Rehearsal-MPR
Thursday, February 27
- Folk Dance for 4th Grade
- Rockstar Picnic
- Field Trip-Packer, 5th grade CLWA
Friday, February 28
- Anti-Bullying Assembly for Students with Mrs. Carson, Counselor
Safety is our number priority at Meadows. Please make sure, at dismissal that your children are well supervised. Because, we are so close to the pick up line, it's important that we keep a watchful eye on our children. Staff have observed children climbing the marquee, climbing trees and the fences directly after school and running very close to vehicles on the side walk. We want to make sure no injuries occur so please help us remind children of safe behaviors. Also, during Kindergarten dismissal, please follow all traffic signs. Please do not block the exit of the parking lot. This is a safety issue for our entire school. Thank you for supporting the safety of our children and community!
LCAP Parent Survey
We are seeking your ideas and feedback as we begin to plan for our new 3 year LCAP. In the past your suggestions have resulted in more art residencies and counselors as well as the site level expansion of programs such as robotics. Please take a few minutes and share your thoughts through this survey.
Meadows Foundation Sponsored Cardboard Playground Begins 2/20-Parent Volunteers Needed
Hello Meadows Families,
Through a parent donation, Meadows Makerspace will launch on Thursday, February 20 in the form of a Cardboard Playground held during TK-6 grade lunch periods (11am-1:30pm) and will be open to all students on select days in the spring. As another option of playing, students will be able to build and use their imaginations to create with cardboard while learning and practicing the skills of collaboration, critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork during the lunchtime recess period.
We need our Meadows Parent Community to help run this lunchtime enrichment program!
The parent-run Meadows Cardboard Playground Volunteer Team will receive training on Feb 20th from 8:10-9:10AM in our MPR (stage) on how to support our children during this time of unstructured creative play. I encourage anyone interested in volunteering to sign up and attend this training session and also be available for the kick-off activities, if possible. Many hands make light work.
Spring Schedule: Feb 20, March 5, March 19, April 16, April 23, May 14, May 21, June 11
What is cardboard playground and what does it look like? Just watch! https://youtu.be/T6BavWsprPY
How can one get involved?
1. Sign up to volunteer by emailing Stacey.Hamblin@yahoo.com or RichelleBoyd@mac.com. This isn’t just limited to Meadows parents. Grandparents and family members over age 18 may volunteer. Also, if you can't stay the entire 11-1:30 timeframe, that's ok too. We are working to ensure adequate coverage while allowing flexibility. Here is the lunch schedule:
· Setup & TK/K: 11-Noon
· Grades 1-3: Noon-12:45
· Grades 4-6: 12:45-1:30pm
· Cleanup: 1:30-1:40pm
2. Donate materials. Watch for material drop off events, where we will be seeking clean, staple-free, safe cardboard materials (recycled paper rolls, large boxes, etc.), markers, etc.
3. Encourage your child to come play, explore and be creative with their peers when the cardboard playground is running.
Think, Collaborate, Create, Innovate. See you on the Cardboard Playground.
Stacey Hamblin & Richelle Boyd
Cardboard Playground Lead Parents
PTSA Family Dance
Reward for Good Attendance
Attendance is so important. Last year, our scores on our standardized tests for English Language Arts and Mathematics earned us special recognition by the state of California. Nonetheless, we were informed that we did not qualify for the Blue Ribbon Award because of our school attendance.
If you have to pull your child out of school for an appointment, please wait until we complete our attendance reports at 9:00am then please return them back to school. If possible, please make doctor appointments after the school day. While we never want students to miss school unless they are sick, please consider that the state of California strongly monitors our daily attendance records. This qualifies us and disqualifies us for certain state achievements. Every day counts towards students' academic progress and learning. Kindergarten is also a grade that has the largest absentee rate and significant impact on learning. Every day is an opportunity to increase reading, writing, and math skills, and most importantly, develop good habits. Unless your child is sick, please make sure they are in school. Thank you for helping to support the overall academic progress and success of your child and Meadows.
PTSA Events listed for 2019-2020