Principal's Corner #23
February 4, 2019
It is so hard to believe it is February. We are slowly entering the time of year when we live in the current school year, but start to plan for 2019-2020. As we enter spring conferences and start to have conversations about next year, I feel it is a good time to practice active listening. Below is a chart that I keep on my desk. This has helped me navigate difficult conversations. It's important that we listen to understand and not listen to respond. I hope you find this helpful.
- All teachers will use sign-up genius for conference schedules.
- Once you have created your sign-up, paste your link in the google doc by end of day Monday, February 11th. COT Spring 2019 Conference Sign Up
- On Tuesday, February 12th, I will send an email letter and paper letter to our families. This will allow our families to receive the information at the same time and can better schedule their conferences. If you haven't already done so, please do not send your sign-up genius link prior to this date
- Please schedule your conferences during the time frames below.
Wednesday: We are being asked to not hold conferences on this day.
Thursday: 7:40-3:40 This is reserved for conferences.
Friday: Non-contact day for staff: If a teacher works a full 8 hours in addition to their workday for conferences during the week, they could use March 8th as a comp day.
Please remember to coordinate with our Special Education Panthers Team if you and/or a family wants them in attendance during conferences. In scheduling, be mindful of their contracted days at Cottonwood.
If you have any questions/concerns, please ask.
2019-2020 Save the Dates
- Tuesday, August 6: Class Assignments will be emailed home
- Wednesday, August 7: Classoom supplies will be delievered into the hallways
- Thursday, August 8: PTO Check in, gym 11:00am-4:00pm
- Thursday, August 8: COT Meet and Greet, In classrooms, 1:00-3:00pm
- Thursday, August 8: COT Back to School Night
Kindergarten, 2nd and 4th Grade: 5:30-6:15
1st, 3rd, and 5th Grade: 6:30-7:15
Certified Staff: Please complete this Google Form no later than Wednesday, February 13th.
Sharing your story is OPTIONAL. I encourage you to share your stories with your teams, and then visit https://www.menti.com/8fbfca09 to share what themes/topics did you hear as you listened to your colleagues "why". These themes/topics will help guide our mission and vision work.
In 2017, Cherry Creek Schools implemented new start times designed to support student learning and wellbeing. Since that time, several other metro-area districts have followed suit or are considering doing so. While existing sleep research indicates the change in start times will have an overall positive effect, we are committed to understanding the impact this change has on our students, parents and staff. Therefore, we are asking students, parents/guardians, teachers, and staff to complete a brief survey about sleep habits, daily routine, and general wellbeing. Comparison with results of similar surveys given in spring 2017 and 2018 will provide us with information we need to evaluate the impact and determine what areas of additional support, if any, may be needed.
You will receive an email on February 7th with information on the student survey, including opt out instructions. A later email will be sent with instructions on how to access the parent survey. All surveys will need to be completed between February 25th and March 8th.
Thank you in advance for completing the survey, which should take no more than 10-15 minutes. Your feedback is extremely important.
Upcoming Testing Windows
Access: January 14-February 15
CMAS: March 25-April 19
CCSD Common 5th Grade Assessment: March March 4-15
Other Important Dates
- Tuesday, February 5: CMS Orchestra/Choir Program, Grades 3-5 ,1:50 in the gym - PM assembly schedule
- Tuesday, February 5: Skate City 4-6pm - Hope some of us can attend.
- Thursday, February 7: Sister Schools/Guiding Coalition out in the AM
- Thursday, February 7: 4th Grade Program 6:30pm
- Friday, February 8: Ashley out in the AM
- Friday, February 8: Math PD with Kristina Layman in the conference room
- Monday, February 11: Optional Equity Committee Meeting 3:00, Innovation Space
- Tuesday, February 12: Katie and Ashley out in the morning
- Wednesday, February 13: Katie out in the AM
- Wednesday, February 13, 2019 Please join us in the Cottonwood Creek Ristorante to help us serve a spaghetti meal to Cottonwood families! We will have two different sittings, one at 6:15 and the other at 7:15.
- Monday, February 18: No School, Presidents Day
- Tuesday, February 19: Non-Contact Day
- Monday, February 18-21: PLC Summit in Phoenix, Katie gone
- Friday, February 22: End of Data Collection
- Friday, February 22: Katie and Ashley out in the afternoon
- Tuesday, February 26: Battle of hte Books Semi-Finals, Heritage ES 4-5:30PM
- Tuesday, February 26: SpEd Collaboration Day
- Thursday, February 28: Jump Rope for Heart (during specials)
- Thursday, February 28: Katie out in the AM
- Friday, March 1: Ashley out in the AM
- Friday, March 1: Sock Hop
- Saturday, March 2: DI Tournament, Grandview HS
- Monday, March 4-Friday, March 8: Conference Week - More information to come.
- Thursday, March 7 and Friday, March 8: Non-Contact Day
- Monday, March 11: Class Picture Day
- Monday, March 11: Battle of the Books Finals, Cottonwood, 4-5:30PM
- Tuesday, March 12: Katie and Ashley out in the AM
- Wednesday, March 13: Katie out in the AM
- Wednesday, March 13: School Accountability Meeting, 6-7pm Innovation Space
- Thursday, MArch 14: Ashley out all day
- Thursday, March 14: 3rd Grade Program, 6:30PM
- Friday, March 15: Katie and Ashley out all day
- Monday, March 18-Friday, March 22: SPRING BREAK
- March 27: 1st-5th Grade Supply Lists due to Katie