Types of Mining
Surface mining, including strip mining, open-pit mining and mountaintop removal mining, is a broad category of mining in which soil and rock overlying the mineral deposit (the overburden) are removed.
- Molecular-to-field- scale biogeochemistry and reactive and multiphase transport modeling
- Laboratory-to-field scale geohydrology, hydrology, and multiphase flow modeling
- Ecological assessment, management, and monitoring
- Human health and environmental risk assessment
- Environmental systems technology development and deployment, such as field-deployable monitoring systems for ultratrace detection of radionuclides in groundwater and a below-ground monitoring method for microbial activity at a uranium mill tailings site.
The differen between
- Safer and easier than subsurface mining.
- Does more damage to the surface ecosystems than subsurface
- Creates more of a mess than subsurface or open cut mining.
- Not as much widespread damage to ecosystems
- Difficult and expensive to dig
- Very dangerous conditions can include collapses, released gases, particulates in the air, low oxygen, and heat
Each tape of mining
The act,process,or industry of extrating coal,ores,etc,from the Earth.