June 16, 2023
Brighton Schools will be Closed Monday, June 19th
On Monday, June 19th students will have no school in honor of Juneteenth. This celebration marks a day in 1865 when enslaved Texans learned they would be free—two months after Robert E. Lee surrendered and ended the Civil War and two and a half years after President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. Initially a uniquely Texan observance, Juneteenth has now been recognized in some form in every corner of the country. The government declared Juneteenth a national holiday in 2021.
To learn more about Juneteenth, please see the articles, video and books listed below.
· Celebrating Juneteenth Article from Learning for Justice
· The Historical Legacy of Juneteenth from The National Museum of African American History & Culture
· Juneteenth Video PBS Learning
· Picture books about Juneteenth
o All different now: Juneteenth, the first day of freedom by Angela Johnson
o Juneteenth (Racial Justice in America: Histories) by Kevin Winn
o Juneteenth for Mazie by Floyd Cooper
o Juneteenth (on my own holidays) by Drew Nelson
Dear BHS Families and Students
End of Year Events and JUNE EXAM INFORMATION
EXAM WEEK from June 14 – June 22
- When will we get a complete EXAM Schedule?
- See attached schedule! Here
- We have TWO examination periods – morning and afternoon
- Morning exams are scheduled from 8-11 AM, unless you have test mods.
- Afternoon exams are scheduled from 12 to 3:00 PM, unless you have test mods.
- When do you come to school during exams?
- Students only come to school when they have a scheduled exam or review session.
- Where do you go when you get to school?
- Students go to the cafeteria and wait to be called to their exam.
- Students with testing modifications will be told separately of where they will take exams. You can report to the café and then go to your tests.
- What do I do when I am finished with my exam?
- Students may go home.
- Students may go to the library or outside to study.
- Students may go to the cafeteria to wait for a ride home.
- Students may attend a review session for a class.
- Students are NOT allowed to hang out in the hallways.
- We have morning and afternoon bus runs as usual on June 14 - 16 and 20-21.
- There will not be a bus run on June 22.
- If you take an exam from 8-11 AM, you may wait for the afternoon buses at 2:47 PM or leave school and go home at 11:00 AM. If you wait at school, you must be with a teacher, in the café, or in the library.
- If you have an afternoon exam, you may take the morning run to school, wait in the library or cafeteria, take your exam from Noon to 3:00 PM and walk home or take the bus home. You may also sleep in and walk or get dropped off at school by 11:30 AM.
- The Brighton Café is closed during exam week.
- On the 14th,15th, 16th, 20th and 21st, the snack bar is open from 7:00-11:45 a.m.
- On the 22nd, the snack bar is open from 7:00-7:45 a.m.
- Students may pick up breakfast from 7 AM to 7:45 AM each day.
- Students may pick up assorted cold lunches in the snack line from 9:30 – 11:45 each day.
ATTENTION SENIORS- Graduation Pictures
Interstate Pictures will be at graduation to take pictures of graduates receiving diplomas and after pose. Please take the time to click on the link below to pre-register
Click HERE for a flyer and pre-register code.
It can also be accessed by using the link https://my.photoday.com/login?step=phone
LOCKER CLEAN OUT
In this week’s Hall’s Corner...
- Students in the News
- Internal Revenue Service - Are you a Social Media Influencer?
- Free Girls Basket Ball Camp
- TIES Volunteer opportunities
- Brighton/Israeli Exchange information for 2023-2024, updated
- ATTENTION JUNIORS – Summer College Essay Course just for BHS JUNIORS!
- Summer Enrichment Course Offerings
- Calendar of Upcoming Events
Students in the News, Making BHS Proud!
Maya Torres-Panzer places at the National Rowing Championships
Maya is Heading to Nationals! Rowers from 225 rowing clubs across the country are gathered for the US National Youth Rowing Championships in Sarasota Florida on Friday, June 9. BHS Sophomore Maya Torres-Panzer came in 3rd place in the nation in the women’s U17+ finals for crew! Congratulations Maya. You make BHS so proud!
Are You a Social Media Influencer?
Some students may be social media influencers. If they are, they may have tax consequences of which you, and they are not aware. Social media influencers use social media platforms such as Tik Tok, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or a blog to publish information and build up followers of their content. If they earn income by posting pictures, videos, or content on social media channels they may be an influencer. Being an influencer on social media can be very profitable, but it also comes with its own set of tax obligations. Influencers who earn income through social media may be taking part in business activities and earning business income. If they are paid for social media activities, they must report the income (both monetary and non-monetary) that they earn on an income tax return. It’s important for influencers to know how taxes work. View this flyer from the IRS with important information on the topic.
TIES VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
TIES is looking for STUDENT VOLUNTEERS to make a difference by assisting their peers in school-based and community activities. TIES volunteers enhance the lives of their peers when they sharing their talent and friendship.
Students in grades 9– 12 are invited to join the fun and become a TIES volunteer.
We have volunteer opportunities over the summer and during the school year.
Please click on the link more information and an application: TIES INFORMATION
Or – contact Mrs. DeGoey, Brighton TIES Coordinator at: email@example.com
This is intended to be a strictly cultural and non-religious exchange. As such, any BHS student can participate.
We are offering the opportunity to all BHS students to participate as either a host family and/or as part of a BHS-chaperoned student exchange trip to Israel. The Israeli students from our sister city Modi’in will be visiting us September 26, 2023 to October 8, 2023*. Our trip to Israel will take place during our 2024 February break. If you are interested in learning more about hosting and/or traveling please contact:
Click HERE for Pdf.
* Dates have changed from a previous post!
Summer Enrichment Classes
The following summer enrichment classes are open for registration here. (Hyperlink "here" to https://brightonschools.revtrak.net)
Writing Your College Application Essay
Study Skills for High School Students
SAT/ACT Exam Prep
NYS Driver Education... another session will start in July, registration will open June 6 at 8 p.m.
Calendar of Upcoming Events at BHS
College Board awards academic honors through the National Recognition Program
Congratulations, you make Brighton Proud!