Zebra Mussel scientificly known as the Dreissena Polymorpha
Type Of Pest
- Clam Like
- Yellowish Brown Color
- Up to 2 inches long
Said to have migrated from the Caspian Sea
- Black Sea
- Caspian Sea
- Azov Sea
Reason For Being Wanted
- Filter up to 1 liter of water a day to eat Plankton
- Compete with Fish
- Colonies clog pipes
- Cost great lakes up to $250 million to control the zebra mussels in intake pipes.
How Does it spread?
- Zebra mussels can reproduce by the end of their first year.
- They usually spawn in the early spring until winter, the time when water temp is 68* F
How Did It Get To The U.S.?
Was transported to the U.S. via ships, they are now transported by recreational boats and passive downstream movement of veligers in rivers since their introduction to the U.S.
Possible Ways To Control It
- chlorine and metal-based solutions
- filtering systems
- hot water