Sport - Week 4 Term 2, 2022
Tauranga Primary School
Tauranga Primary School appreciates the support of the Lion Foundation, who provide funding for our Sport Co-ordinator role.
Jo's Sport Talk
Last Tuesday, we held the annual TPS Cross Country event. This is one of the sporting highlights of the year, as the whole school gathers at Memorial Park, dressed in their brightly coloured house T-shirts, cheering on their peers. The cross country race always creates moments where students may have to show grit and determination to just complete the track or maybe pip a fierce competitor on the finishing line.
We were very fortunate to have prefects from both local colleges this year, plus our Year 6 Sport Leaders, who did an exceptional job supporting our younger runners around the track. Thank you to all the parents who came and supported our athletes. It was pleasing to see so many parents cheering the runners on at the finish line.
Congratulations to the following children who placed in the top three in their race:
Year 6 Boys: 1st Timothy Cresswell, 2nd Mauritz Muller, 3rd Flynn Rowlands
Year 6 Girls: 1st Tessa Baxter, 2nd Molly Hyett, 3rd Jorja Donaldson
Year 5 Boys: 1st Oliver Preston, 2nd Harveer Uppal, 3rd Daniel Hooper
Year 5 Girls: 1st Grace Bell-Booth, 2nd Charlotte Kiddle, 3rd Stevie Bowring
Year 4 Boys: 1st Beau Gosling, 2nd Andre Swager, 3rd Luke Courtney
Year 4 Girls: 1st Phoebe Stefan, 2nd Ava Soffe, 3rd Libby Moores
Year 3 Boys: 1st Harry Preston, 2nd Everest Lamichhane, 3rd Zane Williams
Year 3 Girls: 1st Harriet Street, 2nd Maya Rutherford, 3rd Zaylia Beamish
Year 2 Boys: 1st Jet Gosling, 2nd Niko Davis, 3rd Rustin Harington
Year 2 Girls: 1st Kaia Tierney, 2nd Harper Pomare-Tahana, 3rd Ruby Maxwell
Year 0/1 Boys: 1st Jack Preston, 2nd Brock Hodge, 3rd Janco Ellis
Year 0/1 Girls: 1st Beatrice Stefan, 2nd Harper-Jayne Spencer, 3rd Mollie Hartnett
The top seven runners in the Year 4-6 races will now compete at the South Cluster Cross Country Championships next Tuesday 31st May at Waipuna Park. This event is a huge step up from the TPS course, as it is not only longer, but also includes massive hurdles to climb over and a gruelling hill to ascend. Keep training hard and best of luck!
A couple of weeks ago, two teams represented TPS at the Inter-School Amazing Race. The kids had fun exploring and completing tasks around Mt Drury and surrounding beaches at Mt Maunganui. The teams finished 7th and 9th overall. Ka pai!
Good luck to the Year 3 & 4 and Year 5 & 6 RIP Rugby Teams competing in the WBOP RIP Rugby Qualifying Tournament tomorrow at Greerton Rugby Park.
WINTER SPORTS INFORMATION
The local netball league is set to start soon on the following dates:
TPS Piwakawaka (Yr 5 & 6) - Saturday 11th June - Grading Tournament
TPS Tui (Yr 3 & 4) and TPS Kiwi (Yr 1 & 2) - Saturday 18th June - Round 1
Websites for draws, cancellations and further information:
Upcoming TPS and Inter-School sports events in Term 2:
- South and West Cluster RIP Rugby World Cup (Year 3 - 6) - Friday 27th May 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Greerton Rugby Park
- South Cluster Cross Country (Year 4 - 6 qualifiers only) - Tuesday 31st May 11:30am - 2:30pm @ Waipuna Park, Welcome Bay
- Primary Gymnastics Competition 3 & 4s - Friday 10th June 8:30am - 2:30pm @ ARGOS Gym, Tauranga
- BOP RIP Rugby World Cup (Year 3 - 6 qualifiers only) - Wednesday 15th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Paengaroa Rugby Grounds
- TGA City Basketball World Cup Year 3 & 4s - Thursday 16th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Trust Power Arena, Mt Maunganui
- Primary Gymnastics Competition 5 & 6s - Friday 17th June 8:30am - 2:30pm @ ARGOS Gym, Tauranga
- WBOP Cross Country (Year 4 - 6 qualifiers only) - Tuesday 21st June 9:00am - 2:00pm @ Waipuna Park, Welcome Bay
- BOP Cross Country (Year 4 - 6 qualifiers only) - Tuesday 28th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Waipuna Park, Welcome Bay
- TGA City Basketball World Cup Year 5 & 6s - Thursday 30th June 9:00am - 2:30pm @ Trust Power Arena, Mt Maunganui
Other Sports Events
The Junior Tough Guy and Gal 'Mud Run' is taking place at Trusrtpower Baypark in Tauranga on Tuesday 14th June. As this is not a school event. Children must be transported and supervised by parents and reported as absent to the school office. The cost is $25 per athlete, and you can enter right up until the day, online at www.eventpromotions.co.nz
Otumoetai Football Club Initiative - Together in Football Platform
The aim of the Otumoetai Football Club Initiative "Together in Football Platform" is to help people overcome the financial barriers of sport by granting them the opportunity to gain funding and/or playing gear so they can play the sport they love.
There are three ways to take advantage of the platform:
- Individuals can apply for funding and/or equipment
- You can support a player by donating used or new training clothing or equipment
- You can provide financial support by donating to the Together in Football Fund
TPS SPORTING SUPERSTARS
Ex TPS students, Blake and Zack Percy, have recently been selected for the Auckland Baseball Team, which will represent New Zealand in South Korea at the Little league Asia Pacific Qualifier next month. This is very exciting news and we wish the boys the best of luck.
Please know that I am always happy to share photos and news about any team or individual sporting successes with our school community.
TPS SPORTS TEAM PHOTOS
Miki from Drops Photography will once again be photographing our winter sports teams this year. You will see Miki at our school sporting events, plus at weekly sports competitions. Any enquiries please contact Miki directly via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Miki's photos will be available to view and purchase on the FaceBook page ‘TPS School Events Photos by Drops Photography’. Follow the link:
Finally, I am located in the school Tech block during the hours below, otherwise, email is a reliable source of contact.
My office hours:
· Monday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
· Tuesday and Wednesday 11:30am - 3:00pm
· Thursday 9:00am -3:30pm