Eagle Update: April 9, 2021
Barton Hills Elementary
Hello BHE Families:
This has been a great week at BHE! We have welcomed over 70% of our students back to campus for in person learning. We have continued to enjoy our outside lunches (admittedly the temperatures got warmer through the week;) and teachers are taking lots of opportunities to take our learning outdoors . Fourth Grade hiked the greenbelt, kinder and some first grades observed the exciting work of an excavator tearing down a house (from a safe distance, of course) and all grade levels go outside daily for recess. If your student is an at home learner and would like to return to in person learning, we welcome them. Please make sure you reach out to your child's teacher or myself (email@example.com) so we can share specific returning to campus information.
This next week (April 12-16) we celebrate the Week of the Young Child with a focus on registering and welcoming our incoming Kindergarteners for the 21-22 school year. Our New Kindergarten Orientation will be virtual again this year with an overview video available as well as a Zoom meeting for parents to receive information and assistance with registration. If you have an incoming Kindergartener, please make sure you start with the AISD online registration process. Below is a link to a Kindergarten Orientation show. Please feel free to share this link with anyone you know is coming to BHE!
Please click here to access the sign up sheet for our Spring Make up Picture day for both on campus and off campus learners. The date is Saturday, April 24th.
- April 13 - STAAR Writing - 4th Grade only off campus learners (given on campus)
- April 19 - 9 am Kinder Orientation Zoom (see Kinder presentation for Zoom links)
- April 24 Make Up Picture day for both on and off campus learners
- April 30 - Staff Development Day (no school for students)
- May 11 - STAAR Reading for 3rd - 6th grade on campus learners
- May 12 - STAAR Math for 3rd - 6th grade on campus learners
- May 13 - STAAR Science for 5th grade on campus learners and make up tests for on campus learners
- May 14 - STAAR make up tests for on campus learners
- May 17 - STAAR Reading for 3rd - 6th grade off campus learners (given on campus)
- May 18 - STAAR Math for 3rd - 6th grade off campus learners (given on campus)
- May 19 - STAAR Science for 5th grade off campus learners and make ups for tests for off campus learners
- May 20 & 21 - STAAR make up test dates for 3rd - 6th grade off campus learners
Parent and Child Comfort Room
From Our Libary
AISD Story Stroll
I'm excited to tell you that Barton Hills Library is participating in the AISD Story Stroll. More information about this "book walk" inspired project is available on this website below. About 30 AISD elementary libraries chose to participate in this project.
Our first book is called "All Are Welcome" and the book begins by the playscape / slide area and wraps around the fence under the trees. The book will stay up for a little while, then another book will come through and I will change out the panels until all 30 books rotate through Barton Hills this school year and next year.
Thank you for your support BHE - and enjoy the book! 🙂
Here is the website:
New and Returning Student Registration for 2021-2022 School Year
We love our BHE staff and this is one way to recognize the outstanding job they do! If you have someone to RAVE about, please consider submitting one here.
If Your Chid is Returning to School In Person: Before You Arrive to School Everyday:
Austin ISD App
Click on the COVID-19 Screen and Go Button
COVID-19 Pre-Screen Questions
Answer four quick questions about your child's health. You have to complete the screener for each child.
Screenshot the GREEN GOOD TO GO page
You're ready for the temp check and school! You have to complete/screenshot the page for each individual child. Please make sure we can see the child's name at the bottom and the date at the top.
COVID-19 Pre-Screen Questions
When You Arrive at School
Look for the Blue Star stencils - they are a visual guide to maintain a six foot distance
Health Screening Checkpoint
This is where we'll check to ensure each child has been prescreened and take his/her/their temperature. If everything is good, students will get a sticker and can proceed into the building.
Car riders will stay in the car until the health screening has been completed. We ask that everyone in the car be maksed. Walkers and bikers will be screened at the front entrance. Any adults accompanying walkers and bikers must wear a face mask on school grounds.
Health Screening Checkpoint
Arrival and Dismissal Protocols/Procedure Reminders
- All students must have their temperatures checked prior to entering the building. If they are arriving by car the temp checks are done in the car before they exit. If they arrive by bike or walking, the screening is done by the main doors.
- Please complete the COVID-19 Screener for each students before arriving on campus. If you have more than one student, you can screenshot the "green" screen. The Screener must show the student name - not the parent name. See pictures below if you are unsure what the app looks like. You will need your students ID number. This is the same as their "s" number - just without the "s". You can also find their ID number from your parent cloud account.
- Everyone must wear a mask- we ask that even in the cars, adults wear masks for safety of the screeners.
- Please do not pull around the car line.
- Do not drop off students in the parking lot or pull through the parking lot to avoid the screening line.
- On cold mornings, it is helpful to turn off the car heater - when students sit under the car heater it impacts their temperature :)
- Arrive by 7:40 to complete the screening and allow enough time for your student to walk to class, unpack their things, and be prepared for the start of the classes opening activities/Zoom meeting.
- If you arrive after the screeners have gone inside, you will need to call the front office and we will have to come out to you. Because this requires additional time, we respectfully ask that you arrive no later than 7:40.
To enhance our dismissal procedures, and help us maintain better social distancing we are going to be more rigorous with our staggered dismissal times. You can help by waiting to come pickup your student (or getting in the pick up line) until your grade level dismissal time.
2:45 - all siblings (in different grade levels) and EAC bus riders will be called to the cafeteria
2:50 we will begin dismissing siblings and EAC bus riders in the front of the building
3:00 - we will dismiss Kinder, First and Fifth graders in the front of the building
3:00 - we will dismiss Second, Third, Fourth, and Sixth graders on the north side of the property off of Briarcrest Drive (where they have been dismissing)
If you are walking up to pick up your child, please do not walk up to the class/classroom teacher. Please stay on the sides of the covered walkway and we will bring (or send) your child. to you.
Breakfast and Lunch
Free breakfast and lunch will be available daily to all students. Breakfast is served in the classrooms. If your child will want breakfast at school, please let your child's teacher know so they can be sure to add them to the "count." Lunch is served daily. There is a set menu and no a la carte menu items (single milks, single menu items, snacks, etc.). When the weather is nice and we are able, we will plan to picnic outside on the large rocks above the blacktop. When we are unable to eat outside we will be in the cafeteria at the cafeteria tables with distanced seating (as possible) and plexiglass barriers on the tables.
Browser History Reminders
Please note and remind your children their browser history can’t be cleared. Remind students that their browser history on an Austin ISD device cannot be cleared. Anyone who opens history on their device will be able to see students’ search history, along with dates and times.
How to Check Status on District Systems
AISD’s technology team has launched a webpage that allows school communities to check the status of district systems such as the cloud and portal, as well as Accelify, School Messenger, and Zoom, at www.austinisd.org/technology/status.