Reed Elementary School Newsletter - October 20, 2017
Our Mission/ Nuestra Misión
Reed Elementary, developing a community of leaders for a better world.
La escuela Reed, desarrollando una comunidad de líderes para un mundo mejor.
Follow us on Facebook @ Reed Elementary School; Follow our PTA @ Reed Elementary PTA
Spread Kindness! Smile and compliment someone today. :)
Mark Your Calendar
Mon, Oct. 23- Principal and Parents are Partners, 5:00-6:00pm
Tue, Oct. 24- PTA Reflections contest entries due
Oct. 25-26- Hearing and Vision Screenings
Thur, Oct. 26- Watch DOGS Kick-off, 6:00pm
Tue, Oct. 31- Storybook Festival; Costume Parade (Pre-K and Kinder)
Wed, Nov. 1- Report cards go home
Thur, Nov. 2- General PTA Meeting, 6:00-7:00pm
Nov. 6-10- Generation Texas Week
Tue, Nov. 7- Spirit Night @ Moonies
Fri, Nov. 10- Veterans assemblies
Mon, Nov. 13- Family Literacy Night, 5:00-7:00pm
Tue, Nov. 14- Thanksgiving luncheon
Thur, Nov. 16- Dual Language Night at Reed, 6:00-8:00pm
Nov. 20-24- Thanksgiving Holidays
Tue, Nov. 28- Family Science and Math Night, 6:00pm
Sat, Dec. 2- Poetry Festival
Thu, Dec. 14- Snowy Social, 5:30-7:00pm
Tue, Dec. 19- Class winter parties (staggered times)
Dec. 20- Jan. 3- Holidays
Principal and Parents are Partners
Promote Higher Ed! Wear college shirts on Mondays!
Become a Mentor!
Who are our HEROES?
• Caring adults willing to spend thirty minutes each week with one student.
• Everyday people — parents, community members, business professionals —who help students make positive choices, encourage personal, social and academic development.
• Someone just like you!
LISD’s Mentors are our HEROES...and we need you!
A CHILD IS WAITING FOR YOU TO BECOME THEIR HERO....
Saturday, October 21, 2017 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Cedar Park Middle School
2100 Sun Chase, Cedar Park TX 78613
Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Hill Country Bible Church – Austin
12124 Ranch Road 620N, Austin, 78750
For more information contact:
Earn Money for Reed Through Amazon.com
Please support Reed's new Amazon Associates partnership and earn money for our school! The program is simple: visit the Reed PTA website OR the Reed PTA Facebook page to click on the Amazon Associates link, shop as you would normally using your own log-in information, and Reed PTA will earn anywhere from 1-8% of your purchase back to the school. No catch - Amazon is giving us free money! Be sure to bookmark these links and visit a PTA page each time you shop so that all your Amazon purchases can help us raise funds to support our students, teachers and new technology. Questions? Please contact Tara Jankowski, PTA 3rd VP at email@example.com. Thank you!
Congratulations! Perfect Attendance!
Week 1: Mrs. Garza's 1st grade class
Week 2: Ms. Pehl's 4th grade class
Week 3: Mr. Huddleston's 3rd grade class
Week 4: Mrs. Monroig's Kindergarten class
Week 5: Mrs. Killian's 2nd grade class
Week 6: Mrs. Karkosh's 1st grade class
Week 7: Mrs. Garza's 1st grade class
Week 8: ??
Colors: Red, Blue, Silver
Paige Collier, Principal
Janie Kelly, Assistant Principal
Sofie Lopez & Mary Hoofnagle, Guidance Counselors
Katrina Magnussen, Admin. Assistant
Catherine Ullrich, Registrar
Adriana Portillo, Receptionist
Tanya Stephens, Nurse
Melanie Cornell, Librarian
Bobbie Stephens, Cafeteria Manager
District and Campus Web Sites
Generation Texas Week – November 6th – 10th
Students are invited to dress up each day according to the following:
- Monday, Nov. 6: Wear a college t-shirt because we know we will all end up in a college of our choice.
- Tuesday, Nov. 7- Dress like a genius because we must begin with effort, hard work and focus on putting first things first so that we can reach our goals.
- Wednesday, Nov. 8- Dress as a famous leader because Reed Roadrunners will lead the way in the future.
- Thursday, Nov. 9- Dress for success and come dressed as what you want to be when you grow up!
- Friday, Nov. 10- Wear red, white and blue because we are thankful for those that have served our country so that we are free to attend a college of choice.
No Fuss Fundraiser
Friday, October 20 is the last day of the No Fuss Fundraiser. Please submit your donation on PTA website: www.reed.my-pta.org. Thank you!
Reflections Contest http://reed.my-pta.org/content.asp?PageID=22
If you have any questions, please contact Room Rep Coordinator,
Autumn Kieley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, we please still need rooms reps for the following teachers:
Kinder - Ms. Rocha, 1st Ms. Rolan, 2nd Ms. Ramon, 3rd Ms. Putnam and Ms. Johnson,
4th Ms. Pehl, Ms. Hansen and Ms. Hernandez
Thank you for your consideration!
Volunteer Orientation -If you're interested in volunteering in any capacity, please contact Volunteer Coordinator, Adriana Portillo at email@example.com
PTA Membership Drive - going on. Currently at 247 members. Please help us reach our goal of 300! With a student population size of 750, we know we can do it! #LeadReed
Join PTA so we can provide resources to help every child at Reed Elementary School do better academically and socially. It’s easy at www.joinpta.org or www.reed.my-pta.org or compete the blue flyer and return to school. The winning class earns a popcorn party!
Reed PTA sponsors and supports the following programs and events at our school:
Playground Shade Structures
Art Night / Reflections
For questions, please contact Leslie Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Day – 7:45 am – 2:50 pm
- Pre-K Hours: 7:45-11:15 am & 11:15 am- 2:40 pm
- Office Hours – 7:20 am – 3:30 pm
- AM Drop-Off Schedule – 7:20 am – 7:45 am
- Please be cautious of students and staff during arrival and dismissal. Please slow down. Using cell phones in the arrival and dismissal lines are prohibited. Let's be safe and responsible.
- Parents are welcome to walk their children to class, but need to bring ID and obtain a visitor's badge in order to visit the classroom.
- Students that have not been picked up by 3:00 pm will be brought to the office. Parents must come in to check out their child.
*Días de Escuela: 7:45 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
*Horario Puerta delantera: 7:20 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.
*Horario de entrada: 7:20 a.m.- 7:45 a.m.
We Made a Change
We have a new secure entrance that automatically unlocks our doors at 7:20am and the bell rings to begin instruction at 7:45am. If arriving after 7:45am, students are required to get a tardy slip from the reception window before heading to class. Since learning is beginning, there is not a grace period for arrival.
Quisiera ponerlos al tanto de los procedimientos para este nuevo año escolar. Por las mañanas, de lunes a jueves, los estudiantes irán directo a sus salones para comenzar a establecer las metas del día, sus conferencias e instrucción. Los días viernes, tendremos asambleas que nos ayudaran a continuar con la construcción de nuestra comunidad, fomentar el orgullo de nuestra escuela y reconocer a nuestros estudiantes.
Tenemos un nuevo sistema de seguridad que libera los seguros de las puertas a las 7:20 de la mañana y la campana que avisa que la hora de instrucción ha comenzado suena a las 7:45 a.m. Los estudiantes que lleguen a partir de las 7:45 deberán parar en la recepción y obtener un pase de entrada por el retardo antes de dirigirse a sus salones. Como la hora de instrucción ya ha comenzado, no hay un periodo de gracia a la llegada.
The Roadrunner Pledge
We are teaching all of our students the school rules. Students are discussing and presenting what each expected behavior looks like and sounds like in the classroom, cafeteria, playground, neighborhood, hallway, and school bus.
In addition, we say the Roadrunner pledge on the announcements daily.
I am a Reed Roadrunner.
I will be safe and kind.
I will be respectful.
I will be responsible.
I will lead by example.
Soy un correcaminos de Reed.
Seré seguro y amable.
Seré un ejemplo a seguir.
11:50-12:20 1st grade
12:30-1:00 2nd grade
12:15-12:45 3rd grade
12:45-1:15 4th grade
11:00-11:30 5th grade
Teacher's Conference Times
8:00 - 8:30 - PE/Arts Team
11:50 - 12:40 - Kinder
1:45 - 2:35 - 1st Grade
9:30 - 10:20 - 2nd Grade
10:25 - 11:15 - 3rd Grade
8:35 - 9:25 - 4th Grade
12:50 - 1:40 - 5th Grade
Remind App For Parents
I started a Remind group for us to communicate throughout the year! Please join this group, by clicking http://www.remind.com/join/reedpare, emailing email@example.com or by texting @reedpare to 81010
Empecé un grupo de recordatorio para comunicarnos durante todo el año. Únase a este grupo, haciendo clic en http://www.remind.com/join/reedpare , enviando un correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org o enviando un mensaje de texto @reedpare a 81010
Positive Behavior Priorities
How can you help?
- Learn and reinforce the Roadrunner pledge with your children. :)
- Consider donating to our School Store. More information coming soon!
Second Step- Social Skills
Social Skills Learning is recognized as a key ingredient for school and life
success. To meet the social skills needs of our students and to teach
specific social skills, Leander ISD has purchased the Second Step
The overall goal of the Second Step social skills program is to increase our
students’ instructional time by helping students stay on task. Second Step
will also increase their capacity to learn, while decreasing behaviors
Each Second Step grade level curriculum is comprised of four units.
1. Skills for Learning
3. Emotional Management
4. Problem Solving
We are excited about implementing this new curriculum in Leander ISD.
Leader in Me- The 7 Habits
Each week we will recognize leaders in our school that demonstrate and model the habits. Here is a link to The Leader in Me parent guide: http://www.theleaderinme.org/parents/
Habit 1 – Be proactive – I am a responsible person. I take initiative. I choose my actions, attitudes, and moods. I do not blame others for my wrong actions. I do the right thing without being asked, even when no one is looking.
Habit 2 – Begin with the end in mind – I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom and contribute to my school’s mission and vision. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
Habit 3 – Put first things first – I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I know I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am disciplined and organized.
Habit 4 – Think win-win – I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. When conflicts arise, I look for a win-win solution.
Habit 5 - Seek first to understand, then to be understood – I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoint (paradigm). I listen to others without interrupting. I listen with my ears, my eyes, and my heart. I am confident in voicing my ideas.
Habit 6 – Synergize – I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different than me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas because I know that by teaming with others, we can create better solutions than what any one of us could alone. I look for Third Alternatives.
Habit 7 – Sharpen the saw – I eat right, exercise, and get enough sleep (body). I learn in lots of ways and lots of places, not just at school (brain). I spend time with family and friends (heart). I take time to find meaningful ways to help people (soul). I balance all four parts of myself.
The attendance bell rings at 8:45 a.m. and attendance is taken at that time. Students who arrive after the 8:45 a.m. bell are marked absent for the entire day.
Please send a written note to school within 48 hours of when your child returns following an absence. The note should include the student’s first and last name, teacher, date of absence, reason for absence and parent signature.
El segundo timbre suena a las 8:45 a.m. y es entonces que se pasa la lista de asistencia. A los alumnos que llegan después de las 8:45 a.m. se les considera como ausente.
Por favor mande una nota dentro de 48 horas después que su hijo regresa a la escuela si su hijo ha estado ausente. La nota debe incluir el nombre y el apellido del alumno, nombre del maestro, las fechas que no estuvo presente, la razón y la firma de los padres o representantes.
· Label clothing, coats, lunchboxes, water bottles, etc.
· Pre-K—1st graders—send a change of clothes that can be left at school for accidents/spills
· Call in transportation changes by 2:00 pm.
· Visit our campus website to stay informed! http://reed.leanderisd.org
· Watch for weekly folders to come home every Wednesday
· Talk with your child’s teacher before bringing snacks/treats for the class due to FMNV and student allergies (FYI—NO snacks can be distributed to the class in the cafeteria during lunch)
· All medication must be brought to the clinic and the appropriate paperwork must be completed before it can be administered to students
· Poner etiquetas en los artículos personales, ropa loncheras, botellas de agua, etc.
· Mandar un cambio de ropa para los de Pre-K, Kinder, y Primero, para dejar en la escuela en caso de accidentes
· Llamar los cambios de transporte antes de las 2:00
· Visitar la página web de la escuela para mantenerse informado: http://reed.leanderisd.org
· Este pendiente de las carpetas de los miércoles
· Hablar con la maestro/o de su hijo antes de mandar golosinas para todo el salón. ( No se permite distribuir golosinas a toda la clase en la cafetería)
· Entregar todo tipo de medicamento a la enfermera de la escuela y llenar los formularios indicados para que su hijo pueda recibir su medicina durante el horario de la escuela
Student lunch: $2.60
Student Breakfast: $1.40 (Breakfast begins at 7:20)
Forms for free & reduced lunch can be found in the office or online at www.leanderisd.org
Almuerzo estudiantil: $2.60
Desayuno estudiantil: $1.40 (Desayuno comienza a las 7:20 a.m.)
Los formularios para comidas gratis o a bajo costo están disponibles en la oficina o en línea www.leanderisd.org.
LISD 10 Ethical Principles
September—Respect for Others
October—Pursuit of Excellence
November—Concern for Others
May—Law Abidance/Civic Duty
Septiembre—respetar a los demás
Octubre—buscando la excelencia
Noviembre—tener consideración para los demás
Mayo—ser buen ciudadano