Summer of Terror Analysis
by Makenna Edge
Crimes and Evidence
*B'Nai Israel Synagogue in Sacramento, California
In incomplete attempt to burn the Synagogue perps used three black one gallon Mobil oil jugs to soak the walls, piano, alter area, and seating areas of the sanctuary. After soaking the premises the perps ignited the accelerant. Luckily, the fire extinguished itself after a few minutes, but the library of the building was beyond repair.
- Wooden crate with news paper at the bottom
- Anti-Jewish propaganda flyers that blamed the Jews for NATO intervention in the Serbia-Bosnia conflict.
- Three black one-gallon Mobil oil jugs with "Delvac 1300 Super" labels (multiple pieces of evidence was also removed from the jugs).
- Paint chips with light blue top coat over a red layer
- Red plastic chip
- White cotton strips of fabric
- White and brown dog hairs
- Multiple white and brown feathers
- Multiple fibers that varied in color
*Happy Valley, California
Gary Matson and Winfred Mauder, an openly gay couple, was murdered. No convincing evidence was left behind, but the couples vehicle along with some credit cards were stolen. Later on July 3rd, 1999 the couples car was found in an abandoned Oroville area. The car reeked of gasoline.
Later, Gary Matson's stolen credit card was used to purchase ammunition. The purchase was scheduled to be shipped to a UPS store in Yuba, California where police caught the Williams bothers picking up the package ( July 7th, 1999). When the Police continues to search their car they found many weapons including the one that killed Gary Matson. The Williams brothers were then arrested for murder.
- Weapon used to kill Gary and Winfred
- Use of a stolen credit card
*Medical Clinic in Sacramento, California
An office building housing a medical clinic that preformed abortions was set fire. This arsenic attack was later linked to the synagogue fire.
The evidence from the Medical Center wasn't sufficient until the police found and raided the Williams brothers car July 7th, 1999. This is the evidence used to link them back to the crime:
- Paint on the blade of the Black Pry bar in the Williams’ vehicle similar to the door from the medical clinic
- Paint on the broken glass of the door of the medical clinic similar to the pry bar paint
- Glass on the pry bar similar to the glass from the window in the door of the medical clinic
- Glass on the floor of Matson vehicle similar to the glass from the medical clinic
- Fibers on the jumpsuit recovered from Palo Cedro residue similar to the upholstery of the Matson vehicle