Stress and the Vagal Nerve
How to understand your reactions & settle your nerves.
a free educational evening with Bruce Hersey, LCSW
Wednesday November 14 from 6-8 PM
Everyone has heard of fight or flight, but what you probably don't know is how your autonomic nervous system can shift from there to shut down & freeze, or resolve via attunement & connection. These three states are all linked to the vagus nerve, and can shift immediately and automatically based on subliminal cues outside your conscious awareness.
Learn about these states, a bit about the anatomy & physiology of how they operate, and their biological and evolutionary origins. But most importantly, understand the conditions and cues that cause the shifts and recognize the states in yourself and others so you can respond more effectively in your life and enhance your own self-care and personal development.
You will leave this workshop with three maps:
- The Personal Profile Map - helps identify which state you are currently in through thoughts, feelings, body sensations, and behavior.
- The Triggers & Glimmers Map - helps determine how you got to the state you are in, and capitalize on subtle opportunities for social engagement/connection and re-regulation.
- The Regulating Resources Map - brings attention to the presence or absence of individual & interactive resources and the process of building new regulating pathways.
about Bruce Hersey
He provides this every day for individuals seeking transformational personal growth through ongoing therapy, utilizing inner parts work, sometimes interwoven with EMDR or clinical hypnosis, and teaches these methods to fellow professionals across the country and around the world.
Guaranteed to be relaxing and fun.
- Let Bruce know (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you plan to attend, so we can arrange adequate seating for participants.
- Wear comfortable clothing in case you would like to stretch out on the floor during any experiential activities.