Flint Lake News
Work hard at all you do. Be kind to everyone.
4th -- School Resumes
7th - Feb. 13th -- mCLASS Reading Testing Window
11th - 29th -- NWEA Testing Window
14th -- End of 2nd Grading Period
15th -- No School - Teacher In-Service
18th -- No School - MLK Day
20th -- PTO Family Game Night @ 6:00 PM
21st -- School Board Meeting @ Administration Building @ 6:00 PM
28th - March 5th -- mCLASS Math Testing Window
10th -- PTO Meeting @ 6:00 PM
12th -- No School - Mid-Winter Break
15th -- No School - Mid-Winter Break/ President's Day
18th -- School Board Meeting @ Administration Building @ 6:00 PM
26th -- Flint Lake Family Fun Fair
29th - March 11th -- ISTEP+ Applied Skills Testing Window
A Note from the Principal
Dear Flint Lake Families,
With the winter break behind us, we are back in the swing of things at school. That means that you are certainly getting back into the swing of things at home as well. As you do so, please be sure to set aside time to for the following brain building activities.
- Commit to 20 minutes of reading time for your child each day. This could be independent reading for your students, you reading to your child, or everyone in the family choosing a self-selected reading text to read at the end of the evening. Reading builds vocabulary and promotes success in all academics. So don't forget to read for 20 minutes every day.
- Winter is also a great time to encourage your child to participate in some unstructured play. Unstructured play is free time given to your child to play freely without being directed by an adult. Through free exploration such as this, children can develop the critical executive functioning skills (common sense problem solving skills) necessary for success in life.
- Last, but not least, be sure to set aside time for your child to move! That is, bundle up and play outside, go sledding (if we get some more white stuff), or take a winter hike. Fine and gross motor skills are equally important to overall development.
So, this winter break, be sure to read, play and move! As always, thank you for your continued partnership in your child's school experience.
Welcome, Mrs. Redar!
Cafeteria Account Management
Happy, Healthy New Year from Food and Nutrition Services!
Did you know parents can manage their child’s cafeteria accounts through Skyward Family Access? You can quickly and easily check your child’s cafeteria account balance, monitor purchases and make online payments. Are you signed up for low balance email alerts? Sign into Skyward by clicking on the Parent Portal icon at www.valpo.k12.in.us. Click on Open Family Access. Click on My Account in the upper right hand corner. Scroll down through Account Settings and check the box with Receive Emails when Food Service Balance is under $5.00.
Questions? Call Food and Nutrition Serves at 531-3050.
Yearbooks on Sale Now!
To order online, use the following website and code.
Online Ordering: ybpay.lifetouch.com
Yearbook ID Code: 8883016
If you'd like to purchase your yearbook using the order form, please make your payment to Lifetouch.
- Please be sure to notify the office when you have a change in address, phone number, and/or emergency contact information. It is imperative that we have the most up to date information to ensure the utmost safety of your child/children.
- Daily transportation changes should only be made on an emergency basis. A written note, including current date, is required to be sent with your child in the morning in order for a transportation change to be made. No changes will be accepted without a written note or phone call before 11:00 AM.
- Please be mindful of the time you drop your child off at school. Students may arrive no earlier than 8:20 (8:50 on last start Wednesday) for students eating breakfast, and 8:30 (9:00 on late start Wednesday) for those students not eating breakfast. The building is not accessible prior to 8:20 (8:50 on Wed.) and there is no supervision for students prior to those times. Thank you for your assistance with this.
Family Game Night
The PTO would like to invite you to join us for some BINGO fun on January 20th at 6:00 in the Flint Lake cafeteria. Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to have some fun with your family and meet new people.
Flint Lake Family Fun Fair
Are you interested in being a part of our fun-filled Family Fun Fair on February 26th? PTO is looking for parents who may be interested in chairing/co-chairing this wonderful event for our students and their families.