OPES Book Challenge Club
The Book Challenge Overview
The purpose of the Oak Pointe Book Challenge is to promote the reading of the South Carolina Children’s Book Award (SCCBA) Nominees for the 2016-2017 academic year. A synopsis of each book title may be found at this site. Click Here!
The competition encourages students to read carefully for details and sharpens comprehensions skills. Students learn question formulation skills using an online submission form and will build confidence and improve communication skills with others in a fun setting.
The rules/details for the Competition are as follows:
1) Competition will be held on April 6, 2016 (Thursday) from 6-8 p.m. in the Media Center.
2) The Competition is open to Book Challenge Club members in the 4th & 5th graders.
3) Ten SCCBA Nominee books, to be decided by the Book Challenge club members and the Library Media Specialist, will be used during the Competition event.
4) Teams of up to 5 members to compete against one another in 7 minute rounds with the last two semi-final teams competing in a Championship round as they answer student created questions pertaining to details about the books.
5) During each round, questions will be read once for each team to answer the question. If the first team does not know the answer, the competing team will have the question reread to them and given the chance to provide the correct answer. Five (5) points will be awarded to team that gives that correct answer. If neither team gives that correct answer, the commentator will tell the correct answer and the question will become null and void.
6) Contestants who display unsportsmanlike behavior, i.e. tantrums, put-downs, unnecessary buzzer sounds, etc., will be removed from the Competition.
7) All contestants will receive a SCCBA bookmark and book for their participation in the Competition.
8) The prizes will be awarded are:
*All teams: Restaurant coupons, school supplies, bookmark, certificate and 1 book for each contestant.
*1st place team: Restaurant coupons, school supplies, bookmark, reading medals & certificates and 2 books for each contestant.
*Every member of your family is invited to come and watch your favorite team compete in the event.
*Each competitor is asked to bring a Sweet or Salty food item to accompany our meal and drink.
-Students can use the online form link above to send their trivia questions for the competition books.
-All questions must start with "In Which Book..." or "Name the Book..."
-Questions can include quotes and time periods.
-Questions need must not include names of proper persons or places.
-All members who submit 5 questions for their assigned books will earn prizes at the next meeting.
Downloading books from the public library or internet?
Another option is available using the Oak Pointe Follettshelf (virtual books). After typing in your 5 digit student number and birth date (password), you will be able to see all of the choices. Reading the books on the iPad or other mobile devices requires you to install the Follettbryte app.
If you have additional questions, please contact the media center staff.