Prairie Winds PRIDE Update
Prairie Winds PRIDE Update #2 - October 19, 2016
October PRIDE Update
The "Highlights" section of the update will alert you to the great things that have happened at PWMS.
The "Reminders" section will keep families aware of important information to remember throughout the year.
The "Upcoming Events" section will keep you up-to-date on events that are happening at PWMS.
Prairie Winds Students Participate in PRIDE Assemblies!
Support PWMS - Purchase an Extreme Saver Coupon Book!
Have out of town friends and family who want to support PWMS or do you want to buy a book for an out town family member? Coupon books can be ordered online for many different communities and will SHIP FOR FREE WITHIN 48 HOURS! Communities include the cities of Bemidji, Bismarck (ND), Duluth/Superior, Chippawa Valley (Eau Claire, Menomonie, Chippawa Falls WI), Fargo/Moorhead, Grand Forks (ND), Minot (ND), North Twin Cities (Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids, Fridley), NE Twin Cities (Oakdale, Stillwater, Maplewood, Woodbury, North St. Paul, Vadnais Heights), NW Twin Cities (Brooklyn Park, Crystal, New Hope, Maple Grove, Plymouth), South River Metro (Burnsville, Chaska, Savage, Shakopee) and Rochester.
Parents: Stay Up-to-Date on Student Assignments and Assessments!
Grade level teams (Gophers, Badgers, Bulldogs, Huskies, Mustangs, and Mavericks) each have a homework/assignment/assessment Google calendar available. All parents and guardians are invited to check out the calendar for their student's team. CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK TO THE CALENDARS. The links can also be found on the PWMS website under "Quick Links" and under the "Academics" tab. Teachers update the calendars regularly making them very useful for staying connected with your student's assignments. Parents are encouraged to subscribe to the calendar so that it will sync with your personal Google calendar. You can subscribe by clicking on the + sign in the bottom right corner next to "GoogleCalendar".
- No Halloween Costumes or Candy on 10/31: Prairie Winds does not endorse or promote Halloween at school. Monday, October 31 will be a regular day of learning. Students are not allowed to dress up or bring in candy to distribute. If a student shows up in costume, they will be required to change.
- Charge the Chromebooks: Parents and guardians, please remind your student to plug in their Chromebook every night so that it is fully charged for school. Students are using the Chromebooks throughout the day and it is important that they are charged and ready to go.
- Warm Clothing: As the weather gets colder, please make sure that your student is wearing clothing that can keep them warm if they choose to go outside during lunch.
- Lost and Found: If your student has lost or misplaced an item, please encourage them to check out the lost and found table in the commons. There are many items including sweatshirts, water bottles, t-shirts, and jackets. Items that are not picked up are periodically donated to a local charity. The first donation will take place on 10/28.
- Building Hours - As the weather gets cooler, please remember that the building is not open for students until 7:30 am. If a student is dropped off earlier than 7:30 am, they will be expected to wait outside. All students should be picked up by 3:25 pm. If your student needs to be at school later than this, please sign them up for the after school program Connections. Click here for more information about Connections.
- "Like" Us on Facebook! - Click here to visit the Prairie Winds Facebook page.
Furniture for Flood Families Initiative
October 22 & 29 from 8 am - 2 pm
Madison East Center parking lot on the north side of the lot at the intersection of Adams Street and Victory Drive.
Recent flooding in Southern Minnesota has had a major impact on communities and families. In an effort to step in and lend a hand, Mankato Area Public Schools is supporting a “Furniture for Families” initiative alongside several other community organizations. Families and community members are encouraged to please donate your well cared for furniture for those recovering from recent flood losses.
For more information contact Scott Kelly - email@example.com
Please no mattresses, bedding, appliances or electronics.
Jacob Wetterling Resource Center Speaker Coming to Mankato
Monday, October 24
6 p.m. to 8 p.m
Verizon Wireless Center
Mankato area residents are invited to attend a public presentation where Jacob Wetterling Resource Center speaker Alison Feigh will talk about keeping kids safe from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.,Monday, October 24, at the Verizon Wireless Center, One Civic Center Plaza. Feigh has been working in the sexual abuse prevention field for more than 15 years. A subject matter expert about child and teen safety, her focus is on prevention. Topics include teaching safety models to avoid victimization and child internet exploitation.
There is no cost to attend and it's recommended attendees be age 18 or older. This speaker is being sponsored by Mankato Department of Public Safety to empower individuals and be proactive in providing information about best practice for safety. For questions or more information, contact public safety staff at 507-387-8780.
Prairie Winds PTO Meeting
Prairie Winds Middle School Commons
*PTO meetings are on the first Monday of the month. There will be no PTO meeting in January.
End of Quarter #1
November 11 - No school
3:30 PM -7:30 PM
Prairie Winds Middle School
Quarter 1 Report Cards will be available at conferences
Prairie Winds Middle School
Assuring Learning Excellence and Readiness for a Changing World
Steve Rustad - Principal
Monde Schwartz - Assistant Principal