Enhance English Skills with Moodle
Teach with Moodle Templates Update #11 September 22th 2022
This Smore Newsletter is aimed at giving teachers of English confidence in their Moodle abilities. I hope it can whet their appetite for Moodle. No less important, I hope my colleagues can be helped to help their pupils use Moodle Using Moodle can be done effectively as part and parcel of our teaching strategies.
Enhance English Skills with Moodle
The English Inspectorate and The Ministry of Education Technology Division. have developed Moodle courses in English that enable digital learning alongside classroom learning. These courses are structured according to the curriculum and allow both teachers and pupils to access excellent, ready-made contents from anywhere, at any time and at the appropriate pace. Moodle has been chosen as the right venue for these courses.
- Teachers who teach in the framework of the Ministry of Education can now get as many Moodle English Digital courses for pupils as they need for your classes. Watch this video to learn how to get your copies of courses https://youtu.be/1m4SHHJlqZw
- Teachers can customize courses in ways that are best suited to their audience (their pupils). Watch this video to learn one example https://youtu.be/KPMuQ-w6r9w
Enhance Speaking and Writing Skills with Moodle
See an example of what you can learn to do with Moodle!
Understanding "Moodle Language"
In Moodle terminology, an Activity, such as Forums or Quizzes, properly means something students can contribute to directly, and is often contrasted to a Resource such as a File or Page, which is presented by the teacher to them. However, the term activity is sometimes for convenience also used to refer to both Activities and Resources as a group.
Learn about Moodle Resources https://docs.moodle.org/400/en/Resources
Learn about Moodle Activities https://docs.moodle.org/400/en/Activities
Learn about the ATTO editor (Moodle's default editor)
Click on the image to gp to the Dig into Digital page on the Portal.
The Ministry of Education Moodle Platform houses all the English Digital courses for pupils ("Dig into Digital"). Accordingly, it is best to learn Moodle on a Ministry of Education Moodle course (and on the current Moodle version used by the Ministry of Education).
If teachers can enrolll on a Ministry of Education How to use Moodle-kind of workshop, then that is great. However, teachers can also learn Moodle (for free!) on other Moodle platforms, and then apply what they have learned on their own courses.
I stongly sugest enrolling on any of the Moodle Academy courses.
Join at https://moodle.academy/
Teaching with The Moodle English Digital courses: The challenge
How can the path of thousands of teachers in Israel’s K-12 system towards an enjoyable use of Moodle be smoothed?
This challenge has been (and still is and will be) met in several ways:
- The English Inspectorate has been offering Webinars, Zoom meetings, Workshops, and more.
- ETAI has made it a point to adress these challenges in the last few ETAI conferences. Example: Watch the opening webinar of "Dig into Digital (access passcode: digital1) shorturl.at/chVWX
- English Inspectorate councelors have been contacting teachers on both a group and an individual level.
- The English Inspectorate site features abundant information (ncluding Spread the Word" shorturl.at/KOUV8 )and links.
- I have been sharing Smore Newsletters (see https://www.smore.com/3stk5-teach-with-moe-moodle-templates) that I hope teachers find useful.
- I guess there are more ways which I am not aware of.