Slate Hill Newsletter
October 2, 2022
Dear Slate Hill Families,
I hope you have our Slate Hill PTA Fall Fun Fest on your list of family events for this week. It is this Friday, October 7th from 5-7pm. We hope to see all of our Slate Hill families there! Please remember that all students must be with an adult. This is a family event with 5 food trucks, photo booth, hayride, DJ and inflatables!
One of our key building expectations is for our Slate Hill Stars to be active and engaged learners.
Children with families that are engaged in their education are more likely to:
- Earn higher grades and test scores
- Graduate from high school and attend post- secondary education
- Develop self- confidence and motivation in the classroom
- Have better social skills and classroom behavior
They are also less likely to:
- Suffer from low self-esteem
- Require redirection in the classroom
- Develop behavioral issues
How can I become more engaged with my child's learning?
- Get to know your child's teacher early in the school year. Reach out to them when you have questions about your child's learning.
- Connect with Slate Hill. Sign up for volunteer shifts, class activities, and attend PTA meetings are all great engagement opportunities.
- Connect with your child's teacher by attending parent teacher conferences and learn more about your child's progress.
We value your partnership in your child's learning and want to encourage you to find ways to be involved at Slate Hill.
Below are some pictures from Picture Day this week! I love all of the smiles!
The Adventure Awaits at the Slate!
Julie Gulley, Slate Hill Principal
St. Vincent de Paul Holiday Assistance
The St. Vincent de Paul Society at St. Michael Church offers assistance to families who are unable to provide Christmas gifts for their children under 15 years old. Please click on the Google form link to enter your information if you are in need of help this holiday season. The form must be filled out by October 14th. Thirty (30) families will then be randomly selected to receive the St. Vincent's application. This year, St. Vincent's is also requiring an in person interview in order to receive help.
If you are randomly selected to receive an application, that will be due by October 27th.
October 6th is City BBQ Night! Skip the dishes and eat at City BBQ on Thursday, 10/6! A percentage of the sales will go to help support the PTA.
Fall Fest is Friday, October 7th from 5pm-7pm. There will be food trucks, a hayride, inflatables, DJ, and a photo booth! We look forward to seeing you there! If you would like to volunteer to help at the Fall Fest, here is the link to sign up!!
Thank you to all the families who ordered Mumkins! The Winners of the Lunch with Mrs. Gulley (Top 3 sellers) were: Jaxton Taylor, Zoe Daniels and Derrick Peabody. Congratulations!!
Joining Kroger Community Rewards is a great way to support the PTA! The program is free and does not take anything away from your Fuel Points or any other Kroger programs. To get started, click here! Our organization is Slate Hill PTA or use code IW349.
We hope you will join our PTA this year and support the great things they are doing for our Slate Hill Stars! You can join by completing the paper form that was sent home with your student(s), or by using this link. https://slatehillpta.memberhub.com/store
Annual Coat Drive - Please Donate by October 28th!
Girls (K-8th) Lacrosse - Fall Clinic!
WKHS Girls Lacrosse is hosting a Fall Clinic on Friday, October 21 for girls in Kindergarten-8th grade. It's a great way to get outside and be active during this day off from school! More information can be found on the registration link:
Slate Hill Book Fair from October 17th-24th!
- Monday, October 17th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Tuesday, October 18th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 19th from 8:00am - 8:00pm
- Thursday, October 20th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Monday, October 24th from 8:00am - 3:30pm
Every student will have a chance to visit the book fair and shop during library class, but they can also visit during recess and before or after school. In addition, families are welcome to visit during Parent Teacher Conference week! If you want to sign up to volunteer while your student’s class is visiting at the fair, or before/after school, visit https://tinyurl.com/46mmevks . Thank you!!
Also, for those who can’t attend in person, you can shop the book fair on-line (until October 24th) and still support Slate Hill! This is also where parents can purchase digital gift cards for their students. Here is the link: https://efairs.literati.com/?school=slate-hill-elementary-school-worthington-oh
In addition, spare change/coins is being collected to help support reading! The top classroom as of Friday, October 14th will get to pick out 3 free books for their classroom library!!! Thank you for sending in your spare change!
Just a Few Friendly Reminders:
Please review these important reminders:
- All visitors are required to sign in at the office when they enter. Please be sure to have your driver's license or photo ID with you.
- We are a NUT FREE school! Please be sure not to pack nut products in your child's lunch to keep all students safe.
- If your child is absent, please be sure to call the office or email our attendance secretary, Jessica Porter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please included your child's name, reason for absence, classroom teacher and name of the parent.
- If you have a transportation change for your student on a particular day, please contact the Slate Hill Office (614-450-5000) by 2:15pm to inform us of the change.
- Please pull in the car line when picking up or dropping of your child at school and not park in the parking lot. This helps to keep the line moving if we have less parents walking through the parking lot.
"Choose Your Hard"- This phrase can be used with your children when they choose not to do hard things, but as a result, hard consequences happen. For example, your child finds it hard to study for a test but also hard to tell you they did badly on the test. Giving your child a choice of which hard they want to take allows the student to have responsibility, ownership, and power over the situation.
Stefanee Loges, MA
Licensed Professional School Counselor
Slate Hill Elementary School
As a reminder, if your child has any of the following symptoms, we strongly suggest that you keep them home from school and contact their pediatrician for additional guidance:
Temperature 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher when taken by mouth
New or worsened cough
New onset severe headache
Shortness of breath
Loss of taste or smell
Vomiting or diarrhea
If your student has COVID-19 symptoms, you can pick up a test from your school's office.
Ready For Reading
Slate Hill Elementary is looking for volunteers to build reading skills with kindergarten students. Even if you only have 30 minutes a week, our kindergarten students would love to welcome you! Read below for more information and click HERE or on the flyer to register. Following registration, a program coordinator from our school will be in touch with more information.
Becoming a Volunteer in Worthington Schools!
1. Volunteer has lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must complete an online background check, click Volunteer Background Check (https://www.worthington.k12.oh.us/Page/3014) to access the form. When Approved, receive a Volunteer Badge in the mail from BIB/Secure Volunteer. (Form can also be found on our District Website under Quick Links - Volunteer Background Check)
2. Volunteer has not Lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment.
1. Volunteer wants to chaperone an overnight trip OR supervise students without a teacher present - Schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment. Cost: $50
Care After School is Hiring!
We are reaching out to share a job opportunity within the Worthington School District. We are Care After School, a self-funded non-profit that provides after school care to children in the eleven Worthington elementary schools. We currently have Recreation Leader ($15/hour) openings to start as early as next week. Hours 2-6 pm, M-F and we operate when school is in session (End time can be flexible after 5 if needed). Your elementary school-age child(ren) may attend CAS at no charge.
Check us out at careafterschool.com and apply online at your convenience.
Call or email Kathy or Leslie with any questions.
Assistant Director/Hiring Manager Leslie Rubinoski, email@example.com, 614-431-2266 ext. 225.
Director Kathy Rayner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-431-2266 ext. 222.
Slate Hill Elementary School
Follow us on Instagram! @slatehillstars