How to get Closed Captioning on Your Videos
Google Slides Presentation in combination with Screencastify
When you present from Google Slides, there is a CC button at the bottom left you can turn on. Anything you say will be appear as captions. You can screen record as you talk to create a video. I tried embedding a video in a slide and playing that too, and it does work. However- you may have issues if the person speaking on the video is talking too fast or running words together.
Google Hangouts Meet
- It is great for captioning a meeting, or just you alone talking
- If you use Hangouts to do the recording, the captions will not be recorded. Use another tool like Screencastify to record.
- You will not be able to see captions and a screen presentation at the same time, so if your goal is to caption, do not present.
What if I made a video and automatic captioning isn't working?
- Open a Google Doc
- click on Tools
- Select Voice Typing
- Hold your mic up to your speaker
- Let Google try to type your text for you
- Correct errors
This is NOT ideal. But if you have to have subtitles, it can work!