Fall 2014, Vol. 2, Issue 1
This school year has really been buzzing by! Our Gators have never looked better. We have so much to be thankful for in our beautiful Travelers Rest community school. Our children continue to make good choices each day and will again be rewarded with our mid-year and end of year behavior celebrations! A huge thank you to Mrs. Calvage, Mrs. Howard and Mr. Lowe for getting the celebrations together for us each year! Speaking of celebrations, who is ready to celebrate the 3rd consecutive year of an EXCELLENT State Report Card? Our faculty, staff and all students have begun our celebrations already. This year, our students will be rewarded with an in-school dance a little later in the year to celebrate their hard work and exemplary academic achievement. Our rating is due to the work of all of our Gators and staff, so all students, K4 through 5th grades will be dusting off their dancing shoes in the name of a fun celebration of hard work! Our teachers will be voting on the date for the dance in the near future, so we will definitely need volunteers to join in on the fun. We plan on having this dance at the end of a few school days and it will be divided up by grade level groups. More information will follow shortly!
Speaking of volunteers, our PTA is second to none! These wonderful volunteers can be seen stuffing book bags for the PEP free book fair, running copies for our staff, hosting the largest ever Grandparents and Special Friends Luncheon, and getting another successful Boosterthon Fun Run fundraiser underway all before December! Our teachers, students and staff appreciate your endless support, and we cannot thank you all enough. With your help, we have been able to replace unsafe playground equipment and we’ve begun to add to our instructional technology resources!
It is such a pleasure and sincere gift to be a part of such a dynamic organization. Please don’t hesitate to give me a call or send a quick email if I can be of assistance to you throughout this school year!
All the best,
The Best Christmas Present Ever
Are you looking to buy your child the BEST Christmas present ever? Buy your child books and wrap them up so they are the most appealing present under the tree! Make careful selections as you choose the books. Think about your child’s interests and reading ability as you pick out the books. You might want to give your child a gift card to a bookstore so they can pick out their own books. A trip to a bookstore is a great experience in itself, and children love to choose their own books! Be sure and choose a book or two that you’d like to read aloud to your child as well. You might choose a chapter book so you can read a chapter to your child each night. Reading aloud to children of all ages is one of the best ways to model expression and to share the joy of reading together!
Sheila Moss, Literacy Specialist
First Grade Science
Reminders Regarding Student Arrivals
- Please do not drop off your child(ren) in front of the building before the adults are on duty which is at 7:15 a.m. This is for their safety.
- Please remember that in order for your child to not be marked tardy, they need to be in their classroom at 8:00 a.m. The line moves very smoothly from 7:15 a.m. to 7:40 a.m. without any delays. Leaving home a few minutes earlier may help. Breakfast stops being served after 7:45 a.m., unless we have a late bus arrival.
- In extremely cold weather, the patrols will not be outside. Please encourage your child to be ready to exit the car and close the door behind them, stepping onto the sidewalk immediately after exiting the vehicle.
We appreciate your help and attention to these items.
Second Grade Farm Projects
Second Grade Fall Writing
- Fall is fun and magical. By magical, I mean awesome! The leaves change colors to orange, red, and gold. You can rake leaves and jump in big piles of leaves. I am not kidding, it’s fun. It is cool outside. One thing that I love to do in the fall is to fly a kite. I like the fall because it is football and soccer season. --Aeryal
- I like the fall because it is football season. Fall is beautiful because the leaves change colors and then fall to the ground. Fall is fun because of hayrides and carnivals. I also like fall because it is closer to winter. I like fall’s crisp cool feeling in the air. --Noah
- Fall makes me think of beautiful leaves, orange pumpkins, and hot cocoa. I also eat apple pie and toasted s’mores. I watch football games. I go camping. I start a new year in school. --Mia
- Fall is pine smells and the leaves change colors. I like to go to the fair and ride the rides. I also like the food there. I like to sit around bonfires with my neighbors. I think of Thanksgiving too. It makes me think of animals and turkey. Turkey is yummy! --Kirsten
My Mayflower Voyage
It is September 6, 1620. I am a Pilgrim girl and we are getting ready to set sail. I pack everything I need but my mom and dad are too afraid to retreat. So I will travel alone. I know I will be scared, but I remember to stay strong and believe that God will give us a safe trip. So I board the Mayflower, wave to my parents and go to the Tween Decks and cry for my mom and dad. Days pass by fast with many prayers. I get seasick 4 times on the first day. I wish my mom was here to take care of me. I get bored and I wish my dad was here because he is funny. Then after 65 days, I heard the captain say, “Land Ho!” I was so happy to get off the ship.
Anna Grace, Second Grade